U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city has the best taste in fashion?
Chicago 21 17.36%
Los Angelos 27 22.31%
New York City 86 71.07%
Other-name city and explain 5 4.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,257 posts, read 12,572,102 times
Reputation: 5099

Advertisements

DistrictDirt those pics of LA are horrendous in my eyes. Young people today who like fashion always come across like street kids with clothes from boxes found in an alley. I can not stop laughing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: California
53 posts, read 50,516 times
Reputation: 37
New York and Chicago, partially due to the variance in weather creates a larger wardrobe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 PM
 
268 posts, read 327,802 times
Reputation: 485
I vote for NYC though I haven't spent much time in LA and the photos here pleasantly surprised me. People mentioned high fashion a lot in the beginning of the thread, but that's distinct from style. Anyone can go into Barney's spend a lot of money and come out looking on trend. But style is one's ability to piece together outfits - whether Marni or Marshall's - and look good.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM
 
1,809 posts, read 2,896,767 times
Reputation: 2311
NYC. Not even close.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,978,427 times
Reputation: 2255
I was born and raised in LA and I can admit those outfits are just awful. Some of them are so off, like the girl wearing the tooth shirt! Seriously, no one dresses like that out here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Seriously, no one dresses like that out here.
In lieu of sounding weird - yes some people do. Go to certain areas in any major urban city in the US (NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, etc) and you'll find people dressed like that. It's not widespread, but it's DEFINITELY out there.


You can also see it a lot at certain music festivals:
Très Awesome: The Ladies of Lollapalooza 2014 Part 1
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,978,427 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In lieu of sounding weird - yes some people do. Go to certain areas in any major urban city in the US (NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, etc) and you'll find people dressed like that. It's not widespread, but it's DEFINITELY out there.


You can also see it a lot at certain music festivals:
Très Awesome: The Ladies of Lollapalooza 2014 Part 1
Sure, you may find maybe a few, but the majority of Angelenos don't dress that way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,303 posts, read 7,647,975 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Cool story. Show us some street style from Philly.
I'm not saying I prefer Philly. LA is the best city in the US as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't mean I have to like everything there or defend everything. Most of those outfits sucked!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,100 posts, read 2,760,793 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I was born and raised in LA and I can admit those outfits are just awful. Some of them are so off, like the girl wearing the tooth shirt! Seriously, no one dresses like that out here.
They do unfortunately wear that stuff out here and they hide out in parts of Downtown and Echo Park lol.

I dress rather northeast, but for all the crap that comes out of LA fashion wise, NYC has tons of fails as well. For instance one time a girl I was seeing wanted to purchase a cape from American Apparel (yes LA based company, but this was NYC). I mean, she wanted to buy an f-ing cape! What kind of ego do you have to have to buy a cape from American Apparel?!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,228,876 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
They do unfortunately wear that stuff out here and they hide out in parts of Downtown and Echo Park lol.

I dress rather northeast, but for all the crap that comes out of LA fashion wise, NYC has tons of fails as well. For instance one time a girl I was seeing wanted to purchase a cape from American Apparel (yes LA based company, but this was NYC). I mean, she wanted to buy an f-ing cape! What kind of ego do you have to have to buy a cape from American Apparel?!
LA's stuff is always going to be more out there than other cities - that's just how this city rolls. Look at the 3 big designers that LA is known for right now: Rodarte, Skingraft, and Jeremy Scott. Not exactly conventional.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top