U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 68 40.72%
California 105 62.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
While they have some crossover in ideals, conservatism and evangelicalism are not the same thing and your original post discusses conservatism. That is what my statement addresses.

Besides, while NC has some famous churches, due to some attractive reasons, Texas is the king of the mega churches of late. More power to them.
Fair enough. But I think Texas Catholic population is GROWING and changing the face of Texas religious stance.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Try 61% but it is a majority that are still "sane." Actually if you compare the Republican % and the overall %, it tells you quiet a lot about the state when you look at how those two stats fit together (mainly how large the Rebulican base is).

Now in the urban areas I bet that is 80% who are not in favor of secession.
Nope I'm pretty sure I read that 80%(maybe it was 75%) overall were against secession.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Utah I believe is the most conservative state % wise. But in absolute numbers and the all important "dollar," Texas by far is the anchor of conservatism in this country IMO. It could be 50%/50% and I bet that would still be the case (unless Florida swung even farther right).
In raw number? Are you sure you couldn't put the rest of the Southern states(Miss La, Ala, GA, etc) and some lower Midwestern states ahead of Texas? And if Texas had more then them, are you sure Texas is BY FAR the Anchor of Conservative? Texas Size as a state HEAVILY skews the facts. And Florida is probably just as Liberal as NC(I know Florida has a Rep Gov and NC has a Dem Gov) but South Florida is EASILY one of the most STRONGLY Democratic STRONGHOLDS in the Southern US. It doesn't get any more Liberal in the Southern US than Broward County Florida(Maybe Travis County Texas:Austin) NC is progressive, but it's not far and away ahead of FL and VA(If ahead at all).

Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,480,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nope I'm pretty sure I read that 80%(maybe it was 75%) overall were against secession.
Read the link please. I gave you all the info you need

Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Here is the one I read(My bad 75% said no): Texas Secession Poll: 75% Of Texans Say No

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
What is the definition of anchor of conservatism? Texas is not nearly as conservative as Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, South Carolina, and several other states.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
In raw number? Are you sure you couldn't put the rest of the Southern states(Miss La, Ala, GA, etc) and some lower Midwestern states ahead of Texas? And if Texas had more then them, are you sure Texas is BY FAR the Anchor of Conservative? Texas Size as a state HEAVILY skews the facts. And Florida is probably just as Liberal as NC(I know Florida has a Rep Gov and NC has a Dem Gov) but South Florida is EASILY one of the most STRONGLY Democratic STRONGHOLDS in the Southern US. It doesn't get any more Liberal in the Southern US than Broward County Florida(Maybe Travis County Texas:Austin) NC is progressive, but it's not far and away ahead of FL and VA(If ahead at all).
In absolute numbers, there are more Texas Republicans then the entire population of most southern states. So no, I don't see another anchor.

Now for rhetoric, South Carolina and Tennessee can be...impressive...for conservatism. But they don't have the influence of numbers TX has. Heck just look at the impressive (if not infamous) list of powerful conservative Texas politicians there has been.

The Florida example was hypothetical "if" it went conservative (didn't say it is or would), it is the only state that might re-anchor conservatism. Unless of course another Reagan pops out of California but that would be pretty shocking...

Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
In absolute numbers, there are more Texas Republicans then the entire population of most southern states. So no, I don't see another anchor.
Well there would be as Texas has a much larger population than the rest of the South. California has the largest republican population in the nation for a reason. What about per capita.

Quote:
Now for rhetoric, South Carolina and Tennessee can be...impressive...for conservatism. But they don't have the influence of numbers TX has. Heck just look at the impressive (if not infamous) list of powerful conservative Texas politicians there has been.
They don't have the population to do so. South Carolina and Tennessee do not have as many people to represent them as Texas does.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Here is the one I read(My bad 75% said no): Texas Secession Poll: 75% Of Texans Say No
Ahh yes the problems with statistics and discussing it on a forum:

Irrationality and Time.

There is about a week difference between the 61% and 75% stastistic. Now assuming both had unbiased surveying methods, we can basically come to only these conclusions:
  • A sizeable majority doesn't want to secede
  • Emotions flare in the heat of political issues so irrationality can skew these numbers both ways over a period of time.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,747,366 times
I would choose California...

Texas is boring in terms of landscape (for most of the state) and hotter than hell in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City