U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 68 40.72%
California 105 62.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 AM

14,007 posts, read 21,995,050 times

Advertisements

And to add to what I said earlier, most of the negative divisive comments towards Texas have come from non-Californians, and non-Texans. It's funny because every time there is a VS thread no matter what city or states are competing usually the negative divisive comments towards one state come from people that aren't from either on of the states, while the people from the competing states are usually open-minded towards there opponent state.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:52 AM

704 posts, read 1,291,781 times
Conservative hell hole vs beautiful California.

You know where I voted

Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,846,625 times
I think the reason Texas takes such a beating on C-D & in the media is that it is still heavily Republican. A governor, like Perry, scares non-Texans & the image of Texas becomes negative with many jokes on tv. Texas will change because all the large cities in Texas are basically Democratic. That difference in thinking and lifestyle becomes more evident every year & why places like Dallas & Houston feel almost out of place with the rest of Texas. Some refer to Austin as the "little California" and where the trend toward liberalism is quite apparent.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,159,410 times
Well, to put this thread back on track to get some objective comparison without throwing out broad brushes with so much emotion (which is why I wanted to revive the thread to begin with):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Probably reviving an old thread, but thought it would be interesting to see more thoughts on this topic. I think that the state that probably has most to compare with California is Texas, simply based on size (both physical and population)

I might be one of the few Californians who will openly admit that I have a sort of envy for Texas at this point in time. There is something to be said about the way they're able to balance out so many different interests and still manage to grow. The problem with Californians is that we want everything, but don't want to pay for it. Pretty selfish people, but that almost fits into the image of the 'Ugly American' abroad.

I don't think that one place is inherently better than another place based on stereotypes, but rather through numbers and overall feeling. I can post numbers all I want, but fact of the matter is I have never been to Texas and haven't seen it for myself. It's one thing to look at pictures and say 'a-ha! So that's what Texas is like!' but that isn't enough. I've been to El Paso, but basing my opinion on El Paso is very unfair, considering how much of an outlier it is compared to the rest of Texas.

Anyways, I thought I'd post some numbers.

California
Population: 36,961,664
Area: 163,696 square miles
Gross State Product: $1,846,747,000,000
Top 5 Largest Metropolitan Areas (by CSA): Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, Fresno
Demographics: 42.6% White, 36.1% Hispanic, 12.1% Asian, 6.0% Black. 27.1% foreign born

Texas
Population: 24,782,382
Area: 268,581 square miles
Gross State Product: $1,223,511,000,000
Top 5 Largest Metropolitan Area (by CSA): Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
Demographics: 47.8% White, 35.9% Hispanic, 11.3% Black, 3.4% Asian and Pacific Islander. 15.9% foreign born

Here's an interesting graph I made of their growth rates from 1860's onward

They both started out from 1850 with triple digit growth (California grew 310.4%, while Texas grew 184.2%), but both have had sustained double digit growth rates since. After 1880, Texas grew every decade between 20% and 40%, while California was much more inconsistent. What this means is that CA has had a lot of cycles of boom and bust, while Texas has been growing at roughly the same rate for the past 100 years. California is in another 'bust stage' and has recently dipped below 10% growth, while Texas has maintained roughly 20% growth. In the long run, who knows how long that 20% can last, or can California's weird cycle of population growth last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think the reason Texas takes such a beating on C-D & in the media is that it is still heavily Republican. A governor, like Perry, scares non-Texans & the image of Texas becomes negative with many jokes on tv. Texas will change because all the large cities in Texas are basically Democratic. That difference in thinking and lifestyle becomes more evident every year & why places like Dallas & Houston feel almost out of place with the rest of Texas. Some refer to Austin as the "little California" and where the trend toward liberalism is quite apparent.
Orange County is heavily Republican, and I don't hear anyone ever beating it up very much. Besides, there is more to quality of life than politics, since each of us individually have little control over what goes on behind closed doors. Before the late 1980s, California was a pretty Republican (but still Libertarian) state and it was still exalted in the media. Give Texas a chance. At least they're improving by the day!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,329,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That difference in thinking and lifestyle becomes more evident every year & why places like Dallas & Houston feel almost out of place with the rest of Texas. Some refer to Austin as the "little California" and where the trend toward liberalism is quite apparent.
You have no idea how dead on this statement is. I talk so much to collegues in Dallas and Houston about it. They say they try and keep their focus local because while overall Texas is a conservative state thats pretty set in its ways, the huge amount of transplants and changes in DFW, Austin, Houston, and (to a lesser degree) San Antonio make them different from the rest of the state. They are alot more moderate/open minded/accepting regardless of race/nationality/sexual preference.

The dividing line is the Texas Triangle. Frankly, I would go back to California and collect unemployment before I would live in East or West Texas (Outside the DFW/Austin/San Antonio/Houston areas). Those areas are alot more Rick Perryesque.

Ive always said one of the biggest differences between Texas in California is the way people think in the cities vs. the country. In Texas, people in the cities vs. the small towns think way differently. In California, not so much.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,281,707 times
I know that I posted in this thread a while ago but I was just thinking that if it came down to living in Texas vs. California and money was no issue hmmmm.... well this is still a tough one to answer. I'd have to say I'm undecided although I had originally said Texas.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,995,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You have no idea how dead on this statement is. I talk so much to collegues in Dallas and Houston about it. They say they try and keep their focus local because while overall Texas is a conservative state thats pretty set in its ways, the huge amount of transplants and changes in DFW, Austin, Houston, and (to a lesser degree) San Antonio make them different from the rest of the state. They are alot more moderate/open minded/accepting regardless of race/nationality/sexual preference.

The dividing line is the Texas Triangle. Frankly, I would go back to California and collect unemployment before I would live in East or West Texas (Outside the DFW/Austin/San Antonio/Houston areas). Those areas are alot more Rick Perryesque.

Ive always said one of the biggest differences between Texas in California is the way people think in the cities vs. the country. In Texas, people in the cities vs. the small towns think way differently. In California, not so much.
That whole statement in red is very true. People from other states do NOT, can NOT, will NOT, understand this statement. I've tried to explain this time and time again. The Texas Triangle is a REALLY different place then Rural East Texas, Rural North Texas, and Rural West Texas(although alot of the counties of the Trans-Pecos(especially El Paso) area tend to vote Democrat).

Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,064,459 times
Overall I'd say Texas....their posters, if indicative of the general population, appear more friendly and tolerant; surprised me too. But some of the nicest City-Data posters I have interacted with were from Texas.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,159,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That whole statement in red is very true. People from other states do NOT, can NOT, will NOT, understand this statement. I've tried to explain this time and time again. The Texas Triangle is a REALLY different place then Rural East Texas, Rural North Texas, and Rural West Texas(although alot of the counties of the Trans-Pecos(especially El Paso) area tend to vote Democrat).
The same thing can be said about California. The only reason why California is considered such a blue state is because of the way LA County and the Bay Area vote (combined make up around 45-50% of California's population). Since they vote for the Democrats in double digit margins, that BY ITSELF is enough for California to go blue. However, this is no different than most major metro areas voting for the Democrats, while more rural and suburban areas voting for the Republicans. Until another realignment of the political alliances, this will remain this way.

However, people forget that politicians such as Reagan and Nixon had their start in California. It can be argued that neo-conservatism had its roots in this supposedly 'liberal' state. California voters aren't scared to vote for conservative candidates as long as they co-opt some socially liberal platforms, such as what Schwarzenegger did in 2004.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,329,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
The same thing can be said about California. The only reason why California is considered such a blue state is because of the way LA County and the Bay Area vote (combined make up around 45-50% of California's population). Since they vote for the Democrats in double digit margins, that BY ITSELF is enough for California to go blue. However, this is no different than most major metro areas voting for the Democrats, while more rural and suburban areas voting for the Republicans. Until another realignment of the political alliances, this will remain this way.

However, people forget that politicians such as Reagan and Nixon had their start in California. It can be argued that neo-conservatism had its roots in this supposedly 'liberal' state. California voters aren't scared to vote for conservative candidates as long as they co-opt some socially liberal platforms, such as what Schwarzenegger did in 2004.
However as someone who moved from California to Texas, I can honestly say the differences between big cities vs. suburbs and small towns are much more dramatic in Texas than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City