U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Texas 68 40.72%
California 105 62.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,837,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
The same thing can be said about California. The only reason why California is considered such a blue state is because of the way LA County and the Bay Area vote (combined make up around 45-50% of California's population). Since they vote for the Democrats in double digit margins, that BY ITSELF is enough for California to go blue. However, this is no different than most major metro areas voting for the Democrats, while more rural and suburban areas voting for the Republicans. Until another realignment of the political alliances, this will remain this way.

However, people forget that politicians such as Reagan and Nixon had their start in California. It can be argued that neo-conservatism had its roots in this supposedly 'liberal' state. California voters aren't scared to vote for conservative candidates as long as they co-opt some socially liberal platforms, such as what Schwarzenegger did in 2004.
I don't think it is quite so simple as you suggest. If you look at the counties in California, most voted for Obama and\or have been heavily Democratic for decades. And counties like Ventura\ Santa Barbara\ San Luis Obispo\ Monterey\ Santa Cruz, Humboldt are fairly rural but vote blue. All 9 Bay Area counties are reliably Democratic yet some are not very urban and several are basically farm regions [Napa\ Sonoma\ Solano]. The Central Valley [the most conservative region in California] has many blue counties [Sacramento, Fresno & even little Butte county]. Some of these Democratic areas are quite rural [Imperial County]. Even Orange county, the last urban county in California for voting Republican, is strongly trending Democratic [i.e. all the larger cities in Orange county voted for Obama].

Liberalism in California is not just a LA & Bay Area thing. Nixon wasn't particularly conservative by today's standards in the Republican party & even Reagan would not be welcomed by the far right. Schwarzenegger is the only kind of Republican acceptable to Californians and far more liberal than the typical Democrat in Texas.

Honestly, I don't think California is a very partisan state since all governors, regardless of political party, seem to be exactly the same. These governors attempt to follow the will of the people & in California the people are more liberal than the American people, in general. Trying to govern a state like California is very difficult because the voters have more power here than in any other state. One of the reasons California is in debt is because the voters tend to approve every program to improve air & water quality [no new offshore drilling in over 30 yrs], bullet train from San Diego to San Fransisco, generous maternity leave mandated to all employers, strictest environmental laws of any state in America, etc. Unfortunately California currently has no money!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,154,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
However as someone who moved from California to Texas, I can honestly say the differences between big cities vs. suburbs and small towns are much more dramatic in Texas than California.
I haven't been to Texas, so I have to take your word on it However, there is also quite a contrast between LA County (one of the most Democrat voting counties in CA) and Kern County (one of the most Republican voting counties in California). There's even a contrast between LA and Orange Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think it is quite so simple as you suggest. If you look at the counties in California, most voted for Obama and\or have been heavily Democratic for decades. And counties like Ventura\ Santa Barbara\ San Luis Obispo\ Monterey\ Santa Cruz, Humboldt are fairly rural but vote blue. All 9 Bay Area counties are reliably Democratic yet some are not very urban and several are basically farm regions [Napa\ Sonoma\ Solano]. The Central Valley [the most conservative region in California] has many blue counties [Sacramento, Fresno & even little Butte county]. Some of these Democratic areas are quite rural [Imperial County]. Even Orange county, the last urban county in California for voting Republican, is strongly trending Democratic [i.e. all the larger cities in Orange county voted for Obama].

Liberalism in California is not just a LA & Bay Area thing. Nixon wasn't particularly conservative by today's standards in the Republican party & even Reagan would not be welcomed by the far right. Schwarzenegger is the only kind of Republican acceptable to Californians and far more liberal than the typical Democrat in Texas.

Honestly, I don't think California is a very partisan state since all governors, regardless of political party, seem to be exactly the same. These governors attempt to follow the will of the people & in California the people are more liberal than the American people, in general. Trying to govern a state like California is very difficult because the voters have more power here than in any other state. One of the reasons California is in debt is because the voters tend to approve every program to improve air & water quality [no new offshore drilling in over 30 yrs], bullet train from San Diego to San Fransisco, generous maternity leave mandated to all employers, strictest environmental laws of any state in America, etc. Unfortunately California currently has no money!
Again, you're placing way too much importance on the 2008 election which had many extraneous and intervening variables that resulted in the way voting patterns worked throughout the United States, independent of the liberal/conservative paradigm. I'm talking about TRENDS over many elections.

Ventura County has been conservative for many decades (where do you think the Reagan library is?) but is probably now more politically moderate.

San Luis Obispo County votes way more like the Central Valley than the rest of Coastal California. It only voted for the Democrats in 2 out of the last 10 elections.

Populism in California can work either good or bad. Prop 13 has prevented the passing of a budget without a supermajority. It's frustrating when you are a taxpayer (which I became part of recently...), since you want to know where your taxpayer dollars are going and if its going to improve the day-to-day lives of Californians. Voters seem to want all these programs but don't really want to find a way to pay for them. It will probably only be more frustrating once I have a family. However, that is for the future to decide.

Anyways all of this political talk is pretty off topic.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,837,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I haven't been to Texas, so I have to take your word on it However, there is also quite a contrast between LA County (one of the most Democrat voting counties in CA) and Kern County (one of the most Republican voting counties in California). There's even a contrast between LA and Orange Counties.

Again, you're placing way too much importance on the 2008 election which had many extraneous and intervening variables that resulted in the way voting patterns worked throughout the United States, independent of the liberal/conservative paradigm. I'm talking about TRENDS over many elections.

Ventura County has been conservative for many decades (where do you think the Reagan library is?) but is probably now more politically moderate.

San Luis Obispo County votes way more like the Central Valley than the rest of Coastal California. It only voted for the Democrats in 2 out of the last 10 elections.

Populism in California can work either good or bad. Prop 13 has prevented the passing of a budget without a supermajority. It's frustrating when you are a taxpayer (which I became part of recently...), since you want to know where your taxpayer dollars are going and if its going to improve the day-to-day lives of California. It will probably only be more frustrating once I have a family. However, that is for the future to decide.

Anyways all of this political talk is pretty off topic.
Yes, I tend to agree but how do you explain all the rural counties that have voted Democratic for decades? Imperial, Monterey, San Benito, Napa, Sonoma, Humboldt, Mendocino, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, etc? I recently read a book written by John Steinbeck; there were elements of communism\ unions in the farming areas back in the 1930's.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,481,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Three point different. That doesn't equal ultra conservative. Even with stats right in front of you some of you guys are still dumb founded. I have found that liberals- Democrats are just as backwards as conservative Republicans both are closed minded.
Boy you took my quote out of context...I was just pointing out that there are more Republicans then Democrats, where you said the opposite. I never said anything else beyond that which you included in your little rant there....

Bent up anger against someone else? Lighten up dude.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,594,237 times
WARNING:

http://bestsmileys.com/signs13/10.gif (broken link)

Unless folks want this thread closed, I strongly suggest getting back on topic quickly. No more politics, no more taking pokes at what you think about the topic or thread, etc. Please refer to the original post if you have forgot what it's about, please.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM

2,888 posts, read 4,125,847 times
Living in Dallas, there is a very diverse, open minded population here or I would have never relocated to it. I don't care about the overall perception of a state as long as where I live is open minded. As for scenery, Texas has some beautiful scenery from swamps, beaches, prairies, desert & mountains. I don't understand why Texas gets such a hard time from folks. It's not nearly as conservative as some other places I've been and it's not nearly as ugly as a lot of places I've been.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
JJG

12,926 posts, read 18,430,627 times
If there's just one more mention of politics in this tread, should be deleted.....

Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,594,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If there's just one more mention of politics in this tread, should be deleted.....
There were two posted well after my warning - so - (sound of door closing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City