Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

It is likely that there is very little to choose from Every city's seamy underbelly is probably just as bad as any other city's, and every city probably has about equal amounts of perfectly nice places to live. All cities are places of extremes. I have heard that there no place in America that is more dangerous at night ahan the Five Points area on Denver's Colfax Street, yet Denver is regarded by most as one of America's nicer cities, and in general , it is very nice. So how do you factor in all the aspects in judging a huge metropolis of seveal million people? The World Series game 3 pregame is on now, and I am looking at crowd shots of fans who live in Philadelphia. What makes their lives different from those faces I saw the other night in St. Petersburg? Except maybe climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Detroit, followed by Oakland CA and Richmond CA and Hunters-point Bay-view CA and ....and....etc

...then there is Watts....and Compton....

Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So how do you factor in all the aspects in judging a huge metropolis of seveal million people? The World Series game 3 pregame is on now, and I am looking at crowd shots of fans who live in Philadelphia. What makes their lives different from those faces I saw the other night in St. Petersburg? Except maybe climate.
Well I'm here live so I'll let you know

Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
this coming from the bronx haha
That is funny...I must say....good catch!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Houston
I would love to get out of North Carolina and move to Houston, Texas. You just don't know what you've got going for you.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So how do you factor in all the aspects in judging a huge metropolis of seveal million people? The World Series game 3 pregame is on now, and I am looking at crowd shots of fans who live in Philadelphia. What makes their lives different from those faces I saw the other night in St. Petersburg? Except maybe climate.
The core city center, along with per capita incomes,crime and poverty statistics are usually the barometer used to define a region.Personally I think thats a little unfair especially to the older cities who struggle with being the repositories of high proportions of socio economic citizens.

You'll never find a more contrasting racially and socio economically segregated region as Philadlephia.The Detroit area would be the only marginal comparison but the reality is that the Philly suburbs far outclass the Detroit suburbs and Philly blows the doors off of Detroit. Id estimate 80% of The people you see at the ballpark do not live in the city of Philaldephia, they are from the suburbs. Philaldephia has great bones and if those suburbanites parents/grandparents etc hung around and reinvested in the city then Philadlephia would have been one of the worlds great cities. Unfortunately that did not happen.

The Philaldephia suburban region is the wealthiest region in the USA that nobody knows about. It can stand toe to toe with metro SF/DC and NYC. Not to be bragadocious but its on a completely different level than TB. You might think the Philadelphia region is economically inferior to many areas such as Tampa Bay but you would be woefully mistaken. The overalll regional reputation seems to get dragged down by Philadlephias troubles.

2007 Household Median Income by County

US Average- $50,282

Tampa Bay-St Pete metro 4 M

Hillsborough-$50,572
Pasco-$44,526
hernando-$44,172
Pinellas-$44,292

Philadlephia metro 5.8 M

Chester (PA)-$83,146
Montgomery(PA)-$74,000
Burlington(NJ)-$73,566
Gloucester(NJ)-$70,881
Bucks(PA)$70,665
Mercer(NJ)$70,379
Delaware(PA)$60,232
New castle(DE) $59,600
Camden(NJ) $59,288
Philadelphia(PA)$36,365

Last edited by rainrock; 10-28-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM

rain are you here again putting down other places because they're not as 'well off' as you are?... Carry on I suppose if it makes you feel better

Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
I'm not putting anybody down, rather I presented a few not so subtle facts pertinent to the discussion. Something of which you seemingly never do.Stop being such a wimp.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Opa-Locka, in Miami-Dade, Florida. This city is a DUMP. It is all a giant ghetto. What makes matters worse is you can't even take the place seriously, it is a city built off of an Arabian Night's theme. You'll be on Aladdin street and you'll see a drug deal goin down, turn on Shabbazz avenue and you'll see someone gettin beat down, Baghdad street- well that one just speaks for itself. It has the one of the top five highest crime rates in the US, yet its City Hall looks one of the Medieval Times stadiums. Some of the worst ghetto's I have seen in America are in Opa-Locka/Dade County, with literally entire neighborhoods of tin shacks surrounding you. My older brother lives in Jamaica and I have been there many times and I literally thought for a second that I was in a Jamaican ghetto in Jamaica until a Miami-Dade police car with its lights on zoomed pass me and a cadillac sittin on 28's slowly creeped down the street. It resembled a Jamaican ghetto (third world country, keep in mind) down to every detail, literally. There is no way Opa-Locka can progress by any means, it's a joke... just type in Opa Locka on google images and see what I mean, it's like a ghetto theme park.

Now, on another note, just about any Indian Reservation could take the cake as well. Everyone at the one I visited was visibally drunk and asking for money... the city was dirty, dusty and completely run down. I felt like I was in a giant trailor park, except the trailors were run down to the point where it looked like tin scrapes piled on top of brick columns, with laundry machines and rusted cars with missing tires waisiting away in the front yards (similiar to what I described above). While crime though, I don't think was really evident, it was not a very nice place.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I'm not putting anybody down...Stop being such a wimp.
As I was saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City