U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 PM

3,043 posts, read 8,279,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Looks like a warzone.

But that's not the only city you'll see decay in like that.
Yeah, there are many areas in many US cities that look like that. Off the top of my head, Bridgeport, CT; Hartford, CT; Buffalo, NY; Detroit, MI; Cleveland, OH--just to name a few....the list could go on and on--especially in the "rust belt."
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,940,742 times
Quote:
Looks like a warzone.

But that's not the only city you'll see decay in like that.
you may hate me for this, lol, but were you thinking of your hometown? kidding

Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,216,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It is much safer and prettier. Can't say its completely unspoiled but not nearly as built up as LA.
That was nearly 15 years ago, Southern CA and especially San Diego is a lot different then. The early and mid 90's were a very bad time for Southern CA. I've never even heard of Chillers, must have gone out of business before 2001.
I know all the bars in Mission Beach and none of them are like that.
Unless you live in a small town that's the case in any large city.
No, us normal people just don't stick out like a sore thumb.

It's the Gaslamp and it's downtown, but even back in 1994 it wasn't nearly as good as it is today.
Good to hear things have changed!
I'll have to visit again.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,240,930 times
St. Louis actually isn't my hometown. The STL part is more for the sports teams, though I do love the city.

There are parts of St. Louis that look like that, but it's not the norm. Most of the city is good, I think. East St. Louis is a slightly different story.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
St. Louis actually isn't my hometown. The STL part is more for the sports teams, though I do love the city.

There are parts of St. Louis that look like that, but it's not the norm. Most of the city is good, I think. East St. Louis is a slightly different story.
oh ok, i seen the stl teams and made a gross assumption, especially with your name omitting the rams, who don't seem to be very popular in the city. i love st. louis too, and i encourage people to visit before they call st. louis the worst city in america, as many do. imo, there seems to be very little left standing on the missouri side, and all the blight is in st. louis proper at this point.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, there are many areas in many US cities that look like that. Off the top of my head, Bridgeport, CT; Hartford, CT; Buffalo, NY; Detroit, MI; Cleveland, OH--just to name a few....the list could go on and on--especially in the "rust belt."
i've gotta see this bridgeport...a lot of people seem to be letting that city have it pretty hard.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,254,652 times
Well, I think there are multiple categories. One is composed of cities that have fallen on hard times but still have things to do. Detroit would fit in that category.

Then there are cities with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever despite a decent economy. For that I would put Montgomery, Alabama, at the top of the list. I had a client that required me to spend two days each week in Montgomery for two years. During that time, I did my level best to find things to do. Aside from the Shakespeare Festival there (Which is quite good) there was nothing. The restaurants were terrible. The watering holes non-existent. The entire city is run by an insular crowd whose social life consists of hanging out at the country club. It is a hot, muggy armpit of a place. What's more, if the place weren't the site of the state capital, it would be nothing more than a wide spot in the road. It's what the entire world would be like if the Nazis had won World War II.

The shame of is that lots of mid-sized Southern towns have really blossomed over the past decade or so. Even places like Columbus, Georgia, Tupelo, Mississippi, and Dothan, Alabama, have decent places to eat and things to do. But Montgomery? Butkus.

The client asked me once, "What would it take to get you to move here?" To that, I said, "A gun to my head." I finally resigned the account, chiefly because I just couldn't take yet another night in a place where the big night out was going to Shogun.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,608,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Detroit needs to be rescued!

Detroit needs to be DEMOLISHED. So does Bridgeport CT. When I lived in CT, Bridgeport was considered the "armpit of Connecticut", WRONG, its the A**hole of CT.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,047,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

If Gentrified, it would be so pretty! Such potential! Beautiful if it were at it's former glory

Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM

681 posts, read 2,719,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I thoroughly disliked Memphis, TN.

When we went, I was excited to see a new place but was very disappointed. It just seemed like a dirty, crime ridden area. The whole area around "Graceland" was a joke. Cheesy, neon, Elvis themed crappy motels in the midst of the ghetto. (No, I didn't go to Graceland, just drove by)

The only part I like was the "Peabody Hotel" downtown. Very nice.
The famous "duck walk" to and from the fountain was fun.
Good Lord, I hate Memphis.

My dad is a huge blues buff, so we all went down to see the famous Beale Street. It was awful. Scope-swilling vagrants everywhere, very dirty and dangerous seeming for a touristy area. Then we happened to get lost looking for the interstate, and whew...there are some bad neighborhoods around there.

That's just an opinion, based on the cities I've visited thus far. I've never been to Detroit or Camden yet, though. Didn't think Cincinnati was so bad, and loved Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or