Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Good Lord, I hate Memphis.

My dad is a huge blues buff, so we all went down to see the famous Beale Street. It was awful. Scope-swilling vagrants everywhere, very dirty and dangerous seeming for a touristy area. Then we happened to get lost looking for the interstate, and whew...there are some bad neighborhoods around there.

That's just an opinion, based on the cities I've visited thus far. I've never been to Detroit or Camden yet, though. Didn't think Cincinnati was so bad, and loved Washington D.C.
I've lived here my whole life, and *I've* never been to Camden. My husband who grew up probably 10 miles away from it has never been. Please, don't make a special trip to crown as it worst.

I've never been to Memphis and I want to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM

135 posts, read 786,081 times
Detroit is a hot mess. It should be illegal for a city to look like that...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis actually isn't my hometown. The STL part is more for the sports teams, though I do love the city.

There are parts of St. Louis that look like that, but it's not the norm. Most of the city is good, I think. East St. Louis is a slightly different story.
First time I was in St. Louis was to visit Laclede's Landing. I parked in a pay lot a block away and this guy came up and said it was 5 dollars to park in the lot. My friend was about to give him five bucks when this big guy came running up and hit him. "I told you never to f---ing come over here." As it turns out, the first guy was a hobo trying to scam obvious out-of-towners. The second guy, the guy who owned the lot, proceeded to offer us narcotics. Not exactly a great first impression.

Second time I was in St. Louis was for a Nashville Preds at STL Blues hockey game. I parked a block north of Savvis Center (I know it is called something else now, and no, I don't care what) and walked to the arena. After the game, a panhandler followed me from the arena to the garage, even after I told him to go away. Once the person watching the garage starred the panhandler down, he backed away. Not a great second impression.

Now, I don't HATE St. Louis, in fact, there is a lot to like about the town. But my subsequent visits have not done much to convince St. Louis is a safe place or a place of value. In fact, I don't get why so many people on this forum go all crazy over St. Louis. It is ok for its size I guess; but Chicago, Cleveland, NYC, etc. all blow STL away. I guess I don't get this forum's affection for the place. The only people in real life I know who love St. Louis live in Evansville and have never been to other big cities. My buddies in Chicago HATE St. Louis.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 PM

160 posts, read 518,019 times
Quote:
Now, I don't HATE St. Louis, in fact, there is a lot to like about the town. But my subsequent visits have not done much to convince St. Louis is a safe place or a place of value. In fact, I don't get why so many people on this forum go all crazy over St. Louis. It is ok for its size I guess; but Chicago, Cleveland, NYC, etc. all blow STL away. I guess I don't get this forum's affection for the place. The only people in real life I know who love St. Louis live in Evansville and have never been to other big cities. My buddies in Chicago HATE St. Louis.
Oh, I see, Indianapolis is the **** nit! NOT! Snoozerville!

Chicago hates every city in the USA, so that is not relavant. Cards Cubs, Cubs Cards. Blackhawks Blues, Blues Blackhawks.

Cleveland, good lord! That one speaks for itself.

NYC, try bashing that one out with London or something.

St. Louis is about 3 times the size of Indy, so when you are down in city center, as you were, there are going to be bums. This ain't no Indy.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Oh, I see, Indianapolis is the **** nit! NOT! Snoozerville!

Chicago hates every city in the USA, so that is not relavant. Cards Cubs, Cubs Cards. Blackhawks Blues, Blues Blackhawks.

Cleveland, good lord! That one speaks for itself.

NYC, try bashing that one out with London or something.

St. Louis is about 3 times the size of Indy, so when you are down in city center, as you were, there are going to be bums. This ain't no Indy.
Haha, wow, someone took my OPINION quite personally.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Every city that size has bums and panhandlers. Sorry to burst your bubble.

St. Louis has issues, but it has a lot of redeeming qualities as well.

I do think that people who have never been to St. Louis kind of have a preconceived notion about it, wrong or not. That said, I think most of us have ideas about what a city will be like before we get there.

I've never had an issue in St. Louis, but I don't live there. We do go a few times a year for Cardinals and Blues games. There are scalpers, but we've never been bothered by a bum. We usually park at Union Station and take the MetroLink at Busch or walk to Scottrade (Savvis).

Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 PM

100 posts, read 149,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Good to hear things have changed!
I'll have to visit again.

don't get to excited, but yes San Diego has changed alot over the years and downtown has became much bigger and more and more events are happening like everyday. San Diego use to be boring but now theres plenty to do.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
First time I was in St. Louis was to visit Laclede's Landing. I parked in a pay lot a block away and this guy came up and said it was 5 dollars to park in the lot. My friend was about to give him five bucks when this big guy came running up and hit him. "I told you never to f---ing come over here." As it turns out, the first guy was a hobo trying to scam obvious out-of-towners. The second guy, the guy who owned the lot, proceeded to offer us narcotics. Not exactly a great first impression.

Second time I was in St. Louis was for a Nashville Preds at STL Blues hockey game. I parked a block north of Savvis Center (I know it is called something else now, and no, I don't care what) and walked to the arena. After the game, a panhandler followed me from the arena to the garage, even after I told him to go away. Once the person watching the garage starred the panhandler down, he backed away. Not a great second impression.

it's interesting you say that, because all i hear is how bad st. louis is, but i've yet to be asked for change or bothered by anyone in st. louis. obviously your experience could easily have been mine, but for a city that has such a bad reputation, i thought other cities with lesser reps hassled me more and dazzled me with their crime.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Good Lord, I hate Memphis.

My dad is a huge blues buff, so we all went down to see the famous Beale Street. It was awful. Scope-swilling vagrants everywhere, very dirty and dangerous seeming for a touristy area. Then we happened to get lost looking for the interstate, and whew...there are some bad neighborhoods around there.

That's just an opinion, based on the cities I've visited thus far. I've never been to Detroit or Camden yet, though. Didn't think Cincinnati was so bad, and loved Washington D.C.
Next time, be sure to make your way down to Anacostia.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Every city that size has bums and panhandlers. Sorry to burst your bubble.

St. Louis has issues, but it has a lot of redeeming qualities as well.

I do think that people who have never been to St. Louis kind of have a preconceived notion about it, wrong or not. That said, I think most of us have ideas about what a city will be like before we get there.

I've never had an issue in St. Louis, but I don't live there. We do go a few times a year for Cardinals and Blues games. There are scalpers, but we've never been bothered by a bum. We usually park at Union Station and take the MetroLink at Busch or walk to Scottrade (Savvis).
You seem to be confused. I have encountered bums in every big city I have visited. I have never been agressivly followed to my parking garage or offered drugs in any other city. I have felt safer in downtown Detroit than St. Louis. The only big city where anyone I know was a violent crime victim was St. Louis.

Like I have said, the town has redeeming qualities and I do not hate the town at all. That said, it is easily my least favorite big city that I have visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City