Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 PM

20 posts, read 53,238 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (We have two young school age children) are considering to move to either Portland, OR or Pittsburgh, PA. Anybody can help us to compare these two cities at weather, scenery, environment, job market, housing/living cost, schools... and so on. Which one is better to live? Thanks for any good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:26 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,357 times
These are two awesome cities, IMO you can't go wrong. It just depends on what you are looking for. Portland has a very liberal and bohemian feel if thats your thing. Pittsburgh being in the northeast has great architecture, and they are both very walkable. Although this doesn't matter if you are in the burbs.

What made you choose these two cities?

WEATHER:
Personally, I like Portland better, but it depends on what you like. Pittsburgh will get very cold and a lot of snow, whereas Portland is overcast and drizzly for 9 months.

SCENERY:
Not sure about Pittsburgh, but Portland is very green and near a lot of beautiful areas. IMO, the Pacific Northwest is one of the most beautiful places in the US.

JOB MARKET:
I am no expert, but I don't think either one has a very strong job market.

COL:
Pittsburgh is definitely cheaper

Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,168,074 times
Pittsburgh is often ranked as the most livable city in America (or very near the top).

Pittsburgh is back at No. 1 among Places Rated

Now when it comes to weather:

Portland: Marine West Coast Climate--two seasons; very rainy, cool, winters, dryer, warmer summers; probably a lot of cloud cover; 155 days/year of measurable precipitation
Pittsburgh: Continental Climate--four seasons; hot, humid summers, cool falls, rainy springs, cold, snowy winters (seasonal temperatures comparable to Boston and New York); a lot of cloud cover

Scenery:

Portland: tall mountains a quick drive away; river city
Pittsburgh: hills everywhere; three rivers

Environment:

Not sure what you mean by this. Both cities are very clean.

Job Market:

Unless you're in higher education or health care, Portland will undoubtedly have the stronger job market, but Pittsburgh is certainly stable and regaining strong economy.

Housing/Cost of Living:

Pittsburgh is easily the best in terms of costs. Pittsburgh is most noted for its older architecture with the core of the city being row house neighborhoods, followed by Victorian and Georgian revival mansions.

Schools:

I don't know anything about Portland's public schools, I live in Pittsburgh. However, along with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh has the best public schools in the state by far. I went to a public school here graduated with many future Ivy-Leaguers--we have an excellent school system in the suburbs of both these cities. The city schools however, are not great and should be avoided in many neighborhoods. We do have some excellent private schools in the city though.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Pittsburgh will get very cold and a lot of snow, whereas Portland is overcast and drizzly for 9 months.
Not really sure of what your definition of "very cold" is, but Pittsburgh's coldest month is January and here are its average temps:

High: 37
Low: 20

Portland's average January temps:

High: 45
Low: 34

New York City's average Jan. temps:

High: 38
Low: 26

Boston's average Jan. temps:

High: 36
Low: 22

Old 10-18-2008, 12:53 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,357 times
Well I live in California so that is very cold to me.

Actually, that isn't too bad. Is Pittsburgh typically warmer or colder than other northeastern cities?

I really think Pittsburgh is a hidden gem.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Well I live in California so that is very cold to me.

Actually, that isn't too bad. Is Pittsburgh typically warmer or colder than other northeastern cities?

I really think Pittsburgh is a hidden gem.
Well damn, 50 is really cold to you!

Well, I think Pittsburgh is about identical to Boston, a little colder than Philadelphia and New York and definitely warmer than Buffalo. A lot of people don't seem to realize how moderate we are here. We are only 190 miles from Baltimore on the Chesapeake Bay, so we are moderated by the Atlantic; we're 120 miles from Lake Erie so where moderated by that too.

Thanks for the compliment.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 AM

638 posts, read 2,233,413 times
Pittsburgh is an awesome town. Sounds strange, but it reminds me of a mini LA with all of the hills. I would live there if it could be summer all year. I'm spoiled by the desert and cant do snow anymore.

I think Portland has a "newer", "fresher" feel than Pittsburgh. In terms of community, Portland is a little more liberal than Pittsburgh. In the city of Pittsburgh, especially around the university, you will find a lot of free thinking and open minded people, but the surrounding suburbs can be pretty conservative.

I would rate traffic to be about the same, though Pittsburgh has a lot of tunnels that get backed up.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,693,218 times
I made this decision, too. It was down to Portland, and then Pittsburgh caught my eye and I never looked back. Somebody said Portland's job market is better, but I don't think that's true. It usually is around 6% unemployment and Pittsburgh's around 5 right now, below the national average. Pittsburgh also has a LOT more character, probably because it's so much older. Portland currently has better transit, but that's about it. I spent years in the NW and got sick of it and had to go back East. It really depends on what part of the country you want. I find the two places very comparable, surprisingly. Pittsburgh is way cheaper. You'll see more white dudes with dreads in Portland, like that's a plus.

Pittsburgh. You should move to Pittsburgh.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,390,763 times
You should move to Pittsburgh.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 AM

20 posts, read 53,238 times
Why you're so sure we should move to pittsburgh? More details please. We've lived in NW for 6 years and don't want to move back to East yet. Actually, we like portland better and love Oregon coast. But the housing in Portland is much more expensive than in Pittsburgh. On the other hand, the company gave offer in Pittsburgh looks like more stable than the other one in Portland. We're not willing to move so far, however it seems we have to. That makes us struggling very much .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City