U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want to be the next president of the United States of America?
Barack Obama 111 63.79%
John McCain 63 36.21%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM

3,022 posts, read 8,271,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Both are good... so I don't know.
Obama has good speech, but I think he's muslim. His second name is "Hussein" and that's definitely an islam name for sure, and he's also from egypt so they are arabs and mostly muslims.
However, I'm not racist.
He's not Muslim. He's not from Egypt.

Is your post a joke? It's seriously mis-informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:53 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Tough choice. Do you choose energy or experience?

Personally, I think both camps are being disproportionately represented by the lunatic fringe. Both are reasonably good candidates with serious flaws. I still haven't decided yet.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM

3,047 posts, read 7,969,158 times
I don't vote, never have never will. They're one and the same. As soon as Obama came out and stated that the Wall Street bail out plan was good for the American people, i knew he was the same as mccain or bush...aka just another corporate pig pushing whatever agenda is needed to make the rich richer and the fat fatter.

i don't participate in corrupt systems, especially when they are two sides of the same coin (example Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004 where almost a million people were prevented from casting their ballots due to errors). It's an electric voting system, how easy would that be to manipulate? simple.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,585,414 times
NOTICE:

I've noticed in the last page or two some folks have stooped to name-calling and direct insults. HINT... not a good idea. You can debate without insulting. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,060,877 times
Obama is a gifted speaker and seems to be a good thinker. Mc Cain has a much longer and proven track record. McCain has worked across the aisle many times. Where Obama comes from and who his key advisor is (David Axelrod) scares me more than Mc Cain's impetous nature. I see what the Democrats have done in Cook County and State of IL government. Taxed the *ell out of the middle class they claim to want to help. If it goes too far, we will have the wealthy, who make so much money they can afford the tax increases, and the rest of us relying on government hand outs. Kind of reminds me of Robin Hood. I also worry about a government completely controlled by one party and hope they do a much better job at the Federal level than they have done in Illinois. I am very jaded in my views by the atrocious job Democrats have done with a super majority in the state of Illinois government and at the Cook county level. This is the environment Obama comes from. Instead of hoping he is different than those he learned from, I will simply not vote for him.

I do have to say, I like Obama's ideas/plans for health care more than what McCain has proposed.

Unfortunatley, what it seems to boil down to is who the President picks as his advisors. And we won't know that until after the election.
The other sad truth, is the candidates need to "pander" to the "core" of their party.
So we can't tell if they are swinging farther right or left to be elected or because of true convictions. I want either candidate to govern in a moderate, centrist way. I'm tired of the Republicans focusing on Abortion and social issues and I'm tired of the Democrats focusing on wealth re-distribution and defining who is "wealthy" and thus deserves a tax increase.

Finally, as I tell my youngster, both candidates have ideas I agree with and disagree with. Mc Cain has more ideas I agree with, so I will vote for him. If Obama is elected, we will still be OK. And if not, in 2010, we will vote again and Congress will become Republican (as it did in '94 during Clinton's first term).

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Finally, as I tell my youngster, both candidates have ideas I agree with and disagree with. Mc Cain has more ideas I agree with, so I will vote for him. If Obama is elected, we will still be OK. And if not, in 2010, we will vote again and Congress will become Republican (as it did in '94 during Clinton's first term).
Do you think so? Obama will be able to pass whatever crazy liberal legislation that he wants (Right to Bear Arms...perhaps, we should revisit it) because of the ridiculous democrat majority that is a result of the epic fail by George W. Bush aka a Republican. It's scary when the house and the senate majority are the same as the President...they can pass whatever they want to.

As for McCain, he's been a Bush family lackey for decades...the Bush's haven't done much to improve America or the average american's way of life so I don't have any faith in McCain. There will be no change with him. It will be like Dubya never left office. He has a plethora of military experience and was a Prisoner of War! You know he'll continue to stick our collective American nose where it doesn't belong when it comes to World Conflicts (especially in regions with vast oil supplies like Venezuela in South America).

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM

142 posts, read 154,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
He's not Muslim. He's not from Egypt.

Is your post a joke? It's seriously mis-informed.
In one site I read and it said that he's from egypt (but he was born in Hawaii).
He's second name (Hussein) is NOT Christian name, it's islam name.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM

That's hilarious that Obama's name sounds like Osama Bin Ladin's name and his middle name is the last name of Iraq's former dictator Saddam. If the presidency is contrived and controlled, those powers that be must be having a good laugh at the prospects of a man who shares similar names to Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Ladin could eventually become the President of the United States. even if the presedential candidates aren't controlled, it's still a hilarious fact that so shortly after 9/11 america's president could have a name so similar to the main culprits of the attack that occured a mere 7 years ago...Welcome to the Twighlight Zone! Spooky...

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Barack Obama is above and away the best choice of the two.

There is no comparison.
Yes there is. Obama and my arse. But I have to admit that my arse is better looking and possibly smells better.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes there is. Obama and my arse. But I have to admit that my arse is better looking and possibly smells better.

probably more hairy too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City