U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,584,924 times
Reputation: 794

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYULIB View Post
Uhhhh, can you not read your own "proof"?

According to that website

NYC
Murder rate: 7.3


LA
Murder rate: 12.4

Hint: That list goes from most dangerous at the top and it descends to "least dangerous" city. LA is up at top, NYC is at the bottom.
I'm not sure about New York, but since murders have risen almost 10% this year, I'm guessing we're higher than 7.3 now. Los Angeles is below 10.0 now. Bostons is around 12 or 13.

 
Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,244,711 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm not sure about New York, but since murders have risen almost 10% this year, I'm guessing we're higher than 7.3 now. Los Angeles is below 10.0 now. Bostons is around 12 or 13.
Where do you come up with these numbers? Yeah NYC crime has been going up lately, but is no way higher than any other big cities in the USA. Even LA.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,584,924 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Where do you come up with these numbers? Yeah NYC crime has been going up lately, but is no way higher than any other big cities in the USA. Even LA.
I don't remember exactly but it was here on City-Data by another member. One said NYC's rate is 5.4 per 100,000 which is obviously wrong because it's gone up this year. Since NYC was at what, 6.9 last year, it has at least had to rise above 7.3. LA's crime is significantly lower than last year and the year before and the year before. That link posted with all of the crime rates is from 2006. Another member said LA was at 7.4 or something now.

I'm not 100% sure but it seems to be right. LA and NYC aren't that far apart in terms of murders, about 100 murders apart and NYC also has more than twice as many people. If I calculate correctly, NYC's may be higher than LA's now.

What's surprising to me is not the LA and NYC crime, but Boston. Who'd have thought Boston would be more dangerous than either of these?

I think much of it has to do with NYPD cutbacks, corruption, and lawsuits. I'm beginning to question the quality of some of the officers being hired.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,503 posts, read 17,254,826 times
Reputation: 2048
Also remember that LA is warm year round. More crimes are commited on average in warmer temperatures. This is a reason alot of southern cities have problems with crime. Detroit and Chicago have crime despite this hinderance.

In NYC for example, most of the homicides are commited from April to September, with June being the peak. Criminals wont really go out and kill when it's 20 degrees outside. LA is at an advantage there.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,362 posts, read 7,082,695 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Also remember that LA is warm year round. More crimes are commited on average in warmer temperatures. This is a reason alot of southern cities have problems with crime. Detroit and Chicago have crime despite this hinderance.

In NYC for example, most of the homicides are commited from April to September, with June being the peak. Criminals wont really go out and kill when it's 20 degrees outside. LA is at an advantage there.
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,503 posts, read 17,254,826 times
Reputation: 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
You wouldn't know. You live in a state that's always warm. Without even lookin at statistics, do you really think people would rather murder in a blizzard where it's 22 degrees, or when it's 75 and sunny? Whether you like it or not, the fact is that warm weather breeds more crime. ANYBODY from New York can tell you how "hot" summer is.

Anyways....
The January Report -- 36 murders in 1st month of 2008...
The February Report -- 31 murders in second month of 2008...
The March Report -- 43 murders make 3rd month of 2008 the deadliest so far...
The April Report -- 34 murdered in 4th month of 2008...
The May Report -- 43 dead in 5th month of 2008...
The June Report -- 50 murders in 6th month of 2008...
The July Report -- 49 dead in 7th month of 2008....
The August Report -- 47 murdered in 8th month of 2008...
The September Report -- 40 dead in 9th month of 2008....

So lets see.....the worst months were

June
July
August

The best months were

Febuary
April
January

April in NYC is still pretty chilly. Average around 44.

Is no coincidence. Weather breeds crime. If we had LA's weather, we'd be having month after months like June. And instead of having 500 homicides we'd be closer to 650.

Is it still the funniest thing you ever read?
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,503 posts, read 17,254,826 times
Reputation: 2048
Here's the average homicides for January - April and May - August

Next to the months is the average temp

January, Febuary, March, April = 40.25

36 homicides per month


May, June, July, August = 72

47 homicides per month


Have a nice day
 
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,362 posts, read 7,082,695 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You wouldn't know. You live in a state that's always warm. Without even lookin at statistics, do you really think people would rather murder in a blizzard where it's 22 degrees, or when it's 75 and sunny? Whether you like it or not, the fact is that warm weather breeds more crime. ANYBODY from New York can tell you how "hot" summer is.

Anyways....
The January Report -- 36 murders in 1st month of 2008...
The February Report -- 31 murders in second month of 2008...
The March Report -- 43 murders make 3rd month of 2008 the deadliest so far...
The April Report -- 34 murdered in 4th month of 2008...
The May Report -- 43 dead in 5th month of 2008...
The June Report -- 50 murders in 6th month of 2008...
The July Report -- 49 dead in 7th month of 2008....
The August Report -- 47 murdered in 8th month of 2008...
The September Report -- 40 dead in 9th month of 2008....

So lets see.....the worst months were

June
July
August

The best months were

Febuary
April
January

April in NYC is still pretty chilly. Average around 44.

Is no coincidence. Weather breeds crime. If we had LA's weather, we'd be having month after months like June. And instead of having 500 homicides we'd be closer to 650.

Is it still the funniest thing you ever read?
I was laughing at the way you said it, but since you believe I'm so uninformed, let me inform you that I grew up in Chicago, so I may know more about cold weather than you do. FYI, it can be 20 degrees without a blizzard. In addition, Arizona is mostly warm throughout the year, but it is not ALWAYS warm. My pipes froze last year after a REAL blizzard hit Tucson. I know that's out of the ordinary, but it still happens. Also, cooler weather here is a popular time for other crimes to occur - illegal border crossing.

I'm not really a murder specialist like yourself, but I would say it is possible to assume that if someone wants to murder someone else, they're gonna do it regardless of whether its 20, 40, 60, or 80. I think it just so happens that more people interact in the outdoors when the weather is nicer than when it is colder; therefore, there is a likely higher chance for altercations to occur that could result in...that.

It's the way you stated it that made it funny, and I still think it is funny.
 
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 9,377,883 times
Reputation: 1979
This thread is way off-topic, it has gotten to the point where we are comparing crime rates within the United States and it is New York City vs. Hong Kong that is being polled.This thread should be on the World forum as it is biased for this one and maybe there would be better results.

These are two great cities,I just feel and have stated that when you see an overview of both ,Hong Kong has a much cleaner appearance and a much more impressive skyline than all of NYC
 
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,584,924 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
These are two great cities,I just feel and have stated that when you see an overview of both ,Hong Kong has a much cleaner appearance and a much more impressive skyline than all of NYC
Hong Kong is not that clean at all. You could say its skyline is more impressive in ways, but I find the power and symbol of NYC's skyline to be much greater. Neon lights don't impress me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top