U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM

4,467 posts, read 5,130,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Disagree with all but one of your points.

The Bank of China Tower and 2 International Finance Center are VERY iconic. Just because you can't recognize them doesn't mean most people don't. 2 IFC was featured recently in the Dark Night movie with batman jumping from it. Gorgeous scene with a gorgeous building.

New York's may be more famous but that's a result of 3 buildings (2 of them still standing... the ESB, Chrysler, and WTC). I will agree that the Chrysler building is probably the most beautiful skyscraper in the world and it's hard to imagine anything topping it. However, it's one building. Hong Kong's 2 IFC and BoC Tower are FAR better looking than the new Freedom Tower which is mediocre at best. It may be symbolic and a point of pride, but even just about every other building in the new WTC complex is prettier. I doubt most people would say that the Freedom Tower is better than some of HK's best.

Anyway, you clearly have a bias and assume that all others have the same one. I prefer New York as a city overall, but I think Hong Kong's skyline is a bit more breathtaking and beautiful as a WHOLE (even though NYC may have some singular buildings that are superior) than New York City's.
Interesting as always Irfox, for while I agree with you about Hong Kong's skyline (especially with the mountains) ---- suprisingly that is not what the OP asked! Not sure how the thread just became about skylines or even crime statics in Los Angles, but the OP wanted to know which city we think is BETTER.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 PM

4,467 posts, read 5,130,482 times
Default Where would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
NYC vs Hong Kong

Overview:
both of these cities are very strong and well built, they both have very large and powerful skylines, and a very powerful economy, also there both first tier Alpha world class cities and extremely important. Which city do you think though is better.

New York city:

Hong Kong:

New York wins in most categories --- at least for now! More museums, theatres, art, music, ethnic food and neighborhoods. Has a much more varied diverse population from many different nationalities, races and religons --- including Chinese! Above all located in a free country.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,759,947 times
I've been to Hong Kong and there's no way you can compare HK to New York. HK is a fun & really cool place to visit, but in terms of quality of life, NYC is hard to beat.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,526,083 times
I don't feel like reading the previous 15 pages but ... why is this here and not in the world section?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,503,636 times
I mean again. At the end of the day nyc is the worlds most famous iconic skyline. I dont think movies should even be brought up when talking about new york and its skyline. I mean come on now. I have a hard time describing any of HK's buildings as being ICONIC. Empire state building, now thats ICONIC

Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,937,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

New York's may be more famous but that's a result of 3 buildings (2 of them still standing... the ESB, Chrysler, and WTC). I will agree that the Chrysler building is probably the most beautiful skyscraper in the world and it's hard to imagine anything topping it. However, it's one building. Hong Kong's 2 IFC and BoC Tower are FAR better looking than the new Freedom Tower which is mediocre at best. It may be symbolic and a point of pride, but even just about every other building in the new WTC complex is prettier. I doubt most people would say that the Freedom Tower is better than some of HK's best.
Its not the result of just 3 buildings.

Other Famous Buildings include
The GE Building

WoolWorth Building

40 Wall Street

CityCorp Center

Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower

World Financial Center

World Trade Center

And many more. Why did you single out the Freedom Tower there are other buildings going up in NY.

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_11_moma2.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM

I forgot about metlife building. That black and gold building is sick aswell but i dont know the name

Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM

5,401 posts, read 9,442,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Interesting as always Irfox, for while I agree with you about Hong Kong's skyline (especially with the mountains) ---- suprisingly that is not what the OP asked! Not sure how the thread just became about skylines or even crime statics in Los Angles, but the OP wanted to know which city we think is BETTER.
As always, the voice of reason. I got carried away (as usual). It's close. There are lots of things I love about each (I've spent some time in HK). I get carried away because some of the New York contingent thinks some things should quickly be chalked up to NYC "Hands down" when it's really a closer call (I believe I went on about food in an earlier post... HK has some GREAT all-night street food. Anyway, there are others).

I flip/flop on this, but in the end I have a hard time arguing against NYC. It's the better complete picture but HK does beat it in some regards. So to answer the question, New York... but not by a landslide like some think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Its not the result of just 3 buildings.

Other Famous Buildings include
The GE Building

And many more. Why did you single out the Freedom Tower there are other buildings going up in NY.
Again, New York has a better array of generational representation in terms of buildings. The architecture in NYC is mostly better (except for the modern towers). In my opinion, the gems of the 20's, 30's and 40's will top any modern skyscraper that we will see built (No matter how tall a Burj Dubai may be, it's not as impressive as the Chrysler Building or Woolworth Building).

My point was in regards to which skyline is better. I have to say Hong Kong. New York has some better buildings, but the skyline is so sprawling and spread out (and doesn't have the natural backdrop that HK does) that you really can't take it all in in once glance. HK's skyline is IN YOUR FACE impressive. It shoots up from the water with hills in the background so densely packed (100x more dense than NYC) and so bright (nightlighting that may top even Las Vegas) that it mezmorizes. New York City doesn't do that to the degree that Hong Kong does since it's so spread out. For example... when looking at NYC's skyline from Jersey, you can barely see the tip of the Chrysler sticking up... you don't get to see how excellent of a building it is until you're up close ( or from a reasonable distance on Lexington ). Same with the GE building (another Art Deco gem). Most people can't find it on the when viewing from a distance. To me, there are only three buildings that REALLY stand out in New York's skyline from a distance (i.e. the Bronx, Jersey, or most places off of Manhattan)... they are the ESB, the Chrysler and the Citigroup Building (that slanted roof is unmistakeable). Looking at Honk Kong (especially at night) it's super easy to distinguish the most notable buildings. They're crammed together and in your face. They're made more impressive by the sea of high-rise apartments and the mountain backdrop. To ME (personal observation), it's more impressive than looking at the big picture of the Manhattan skyline.

Now, like I said, NYC has the better array of buildings. All of those existing buildings you listed are wonderful. The Freedom Tower was singled out because another poster mentioned it as being better than any modern tower which I disagree with. I personally think it's mediocre. The other buildings you posted that are proposed are great (I love the Gehry... the one that will house the school on the first few floors). I'm well aware of them and they will be impressive when built, but they aren't even close to completion yet (have any of them even started?... the Freedom Tower has at least been underway for a few years). Anyway, New York has the better buildings, but Hong Kong's skyline is really something more impressive to look at. I've said it 100 times before though, skylines don't mean much about how great a city is. New York's best features are it's diversity, neighborhoods, cultural representation and varied architecture (not necessarily towers... some of the best are low rise); the skyline is a plus.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM

good post. But at the same time. Theres not all those lights on our buildings either. If nyc was lit like hong kong is i think it would be no question on which one was better. One thing i like about hong kong is that the skyline seems to wrap around, that hot. We got the better buildings and a more famous skyline, the most famous in the world actually. But i'll give it to hong kong, their skyline looks more impressive than ours. It all about preference at the end of the day though

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 PM

But hold up. Is this thread about skylines or which ones the better city. If its the latter, than there is no contest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.