U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times

Advertisements

You can't ask this question on a majority american forum and expect Hong Kong to win.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can't ask this question on a majority american forum and expect Hong Kong to win.
And what does Hong Kong get if it "wins?" This is nothing more than a popularity contest. (And I'm a native-born New Yorker; let me tell you, we don't care whether anyone else "votes" for our city or not).

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,513,390 times
I'm American, and I voted Hong Kong. I've even lived in Manhatan, but I still vote Hong Kong. It's another world entirely; Manhattan could fit easily into HK and not be noticed.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,566,323 times
New York has the great city feel and has way more to offer to people of different backgrounds.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm American, and I voted Hong Kong. I've even lived in Manhatan, but I still vote Hong Kong. It's another world entirely; Manhattan could fit easily into HK and not be noticed.
They say the same thing about NYC. I met a man from the HK area sitting in the airport waiting for a plane who was in culture shock coming to NYC. We talked until the plane boarded and it was interesting. To me, HK would be another world... To him, NYC was another world.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 AM

11,603 posts, read 31,766,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York has the great city feel and has way more to offer to people of different backgrounds.
If by "way more to offer" you mean things like trashy housing projects, high crime rates, filthy public transportation, and thousands of vagrants, yeah you're right.

Don't get me wrong, I love NYC. But to suggest that NYC offers more than HK is something that only someone who's never actually been to HK could say.

HK is 400'ish square miles and has 7 million people.
NYC is 400'ish square miles and has 8 million people.

So they both have similar population densities, yet HK offers things like this within its 400 square miles:

Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
HK is winning, though. Either we are tackier than I thought or a Chinese invasion on City-Data is occurring.

I prefer the reality of the New York skyline. The gritty and tough buildings standing tall over the mighty city with no mountains stepping up to them.

JMT, a city is not there to be a beach, a paradise, or an arcade. A city is there to be diverse and dense while also blending in theater, music, arts, commerce, finance, politics, sports, food, etc.

I will not doubt for a second that the photos you posted are impressive, but when I go into a city do I really go there to sit on a beach or enjoy the weather or ride a roller coaster? No. I go there to experience other ways of life, cultures, attitudes, backgrounds, music, politics, money, etc. I go to a city to work, walk, see sights, etc. You basically showed me photos of an amusement park... A roller coaster? Who cares?

You're entitled to an opinion but I stick with American cities and London and Toronto for this exact reason.

Last edited by Futcha; 10-24-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM

203 posts, read 600,804 times
HK at night is amazing

Old 10-24-2008, 12:04 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
HK is winning, though. Either we are tackier than I thought or a Chinese invasion on City-Data is occurring.

I prefer the reality of the New York skyline. The gritty and tough buildings standing tall over the mighty city with no mountains stepping up to them.

JMT, a city is not there to be a beach, a paradise, or an arcade. A city is there to be diverse and dense while also blending in theater, music, arts, commerce, finance, politics, sports, food, etc.

I will not doubt for a second that the photos you posted are impressive, but when I go into a city do I really go there to sit on a beach or enjoy the weather or ride a roller coaster? No. I go there to experience other ways of life, cultures, attitudes, backgrounds, music, politics, money, etc. I go to a city to work, walk, see sights, etc. You basically showed me photos of an amusement park... A roller coaster? Who cares?

You're entitled to an opinion but I stick with American cities and London and Toronto for this exact reason.
I guess you have to experience different cities in person to truly get an idea of what they are all about. I was completely WOWED by Hong Kong. All of those things you discussed (other ways of life, cultures, attitudes, backgrounds, music, money..etc) they all exist in Hong Kong as well, not to mention Kowloon. NY isn't the only city to offers these things. The only thing I'd stay away from are the Karaoke bars in Kowloon.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I guess you have to experience different cities in person to truly get an idea of what they are all about. I was completely WOWED by Hong Kong. All of those things you discussed (other ways of life, cultures, attitudes, backgrounds, music, money..etc) they all exist in Hong Kong as well, not to mention Kowloon. NY isn't the only city to offers these things. The only thing I'd stay away from are the Karaoke bars in Kowloon.
Every city offers at least some diversity, but Hong Kong cannot and will not hold a candle to New York, Toronto, or London when it comes to diversity. Not just those cities, but any American city with over 1 million people. There are also American cities with less then 1 million people that are more diverse than HK.

I've travelled a lot in my short life. I've been to London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome, Naples, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Denver, Detroit, Philly, San Francisco, DC, Texas, New Orleans, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, etc.

I'm an avid traveller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City