U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 PM

0 posts, read 1,271,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I do not agree with the poster you are responding to; however, in all fairness, all of Hong Kong does not look like this either. I could pick the nastiest pictures off of google for New York as well. BTW, the photos that another poster had posted above of New York are fantastic.
There are no slums in NYC or the rest of the United States for that matter but there are slums in Hong Kong so the nasty you can dig up won't compare.

You couldn't find anywhere in NYC, Chicago, LA, or even Detroit that looked as bad as these neighborhoods in Hong Kong.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,572,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
There are no slums in NYC or the rest of the United States for that matter but there are slums in Hong Kong so the nasty you can dig up won't compare.

You couldn't find anywhere in NYC, Chicago, LA, or even Detroit that looked as bad as these neighborhoods in Hong Kong.
Actually, to be fair, you can find many slums in NYC... I suggest you take a look at this video and reality will hit you...
Brownsville, Brooklyn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYccrIooFy8

Last edited by Futcha; 10-26-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Actually, to be fair, you can find many slums in NYC... I suggest you take a look at this video and reality will hit you...
Brownsville, Brooklyn...

YouTube - TheHoodUp.com Sex Money Murder Bloods Brooklyn New York #2
I don't see anything remotely slummy in that video. That's not a slum, that's a ghetto. There are ghettos, but no slums in New York City or in the United States.

There is a difference between a slum and a ghetto.

Ghetto: Brownsville, Brooklyn (The absolute worst neighborhood in NYC)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/973flatbushave.jpg (broken link)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/elmwoodtheater.jpg (broken link)

Slum: Hong Kong
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/Shanty_housing_in_Hong_Kong.jpg (broken link)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/m124800407.jpg (broken link)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/ist2_1126940-hong-kong-slum.jpg (broken link)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/chrisyslslr/hk/1413863667_464fbeb0db_o.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Americanboy; 10-26-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,059,903 times
Quote:

Really now?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:42 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,519,042 times
Quote:

Um... South Bronx? Jersey City?

Chicago, Los Angeles and Detroit definitely have their third world slums. What part of Detroit isn't a slum? They aren't hidden, you know; everyone can tell you exactly where you shouldn't be, and if it's Chicago, specifically which streets and parts of the grid.

The difference between the slums in HK vs. slums in the USA is the fear factor. In China I worried about children mugging me but I never had a fear of being held at gun point, as has happened to me in Chicago and LA. The slums of HK are safer in that the neurotic social order imposed by Chinese culture is especially imposed upon the poor and desperate.

I have no doubt that there are places you could have horrible things done to you in China, no question of that at all. But for the most part, the people are trained to be polite and helpful

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM

190 posts, read 820,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Chicago, Los Angeles and Detroit definitely have their third world slums. What part of Detroit isn't a slum? They aren't hidden, you know; everyone can tell you exactly where you shouldn't be, and if it's Chicago, specifically which streets and parts of the grid.

The difference between the slums in HK vs. slums in the USA is the fear factor. In China I worried about children mugging me but I never had a fear of being held at gun point, as has happened to me in Chicago and LA. The slums of HK are safer in that the neurotic social order imposed by Chinese culture is especially imposed upon the poor and desperate.

I have no doubt that there are places you could have horrible things done to you in China, no question of that at all. But for the most part, the people are trained to be polite and helpful
Have you been paying attention. The slums here are much more taken care of the the ones in HK.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 AM

190 posts, read 820,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I am impressed with Central Park in NYC,whether Hong Kong has a park of this magnitude I don't know but Hong Kong's skyline is off the charts,its not just Hong Kong but the other Islands architecture is impressive.

The other Burroughs of NYC outside of Manhattan are gritty and drab,I am not alluding to the homes but the buildings and this is not apparent in Hong Kong as every area or district is aesthetically appealing,it has a clean appearance,a white-washed look that is very noticeable along with a mountain backdrop.

Definitely and without a doubt Hong Kong has the most impressive skyline in the world,there is no city that is even close.
The buildings in the outer borroughs have great architecture too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/ParkSlope-street.JPG (broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Really now?

Some of you need to go read a dictionary or actually travel and learn of the difference betwen a slum and a ghetto.

A UN Expert Group has created an operational definition of a slum as an area that combines to various extents the following characteristics: inadequate access to safe water; inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure; poor structural quality of housing; overcrowding; and insecure residential status.[9] To these one might add the low socioeconomic status of its residents.[10]

Name one neighborhood in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago or even ghetto Detroit that fits that descriptions. Easy: You can't because there aren't any.

Quote:
No and No.

Quote:
Los Angeles and Chicago have very BAD ghettos but nothing compared to Hong Kong.

So someone tell me ONE neighborhood in the United States where people live like this....

Boat slums in Hong Kong.

Quote:

Fear factor is also fear fear of contracting diseases in these third-world slums. And this is hardly on topic anyway because slums really have nothing to do with crime and more to do with putrid living conditions.

South Bronx, East Los Angeles, Chicago's South Side, Detroit look like paradise compared to what I've seen in Hong Kong and around the world. The cleanest, least run down and best looking ghettos are in Europe.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,572,031 times
Quote:
Los Angeles and Chicago have very BAD ghettos but nothing compared to Hong Kong.
You've only displayed how little you really know. All you've shown everybody are run-down boats and buildings. Whether or not a neighborhood is run-down is not the determining factor of it being a slum. Those photos you posted of Brownsville, which is not the most dangerous neighborhood in NYC, are in renovated parts of Brownsville. There are many parts of Brownsville that have burnt-out building after burnt-out building, homeless person after homeless person, drug dealer after drug dealer... Especially at night. Plus, those new tenements that are portrayed as brand new luxury lofts in the South Bronx... Those things are built like ****... Insulation is ****... The whole building is just a fresh piece of **** in place of the old piece of **** that once stood there.

Those slums in HK are nowhere near as violent as certain areas of American cities.

You mentioned LA as having BAD ghettos. Compton's crime rate dropped significantly over the past few years, dropping it from 4th to 14th in just one year. This year we suspect it'll be around 25th and the next year after that it won't even be in the top 25. There are houses in Compton have been selling for over $400k. The danger has really diminished considerably. It's not safe enough to walk in late at night, but it's nothing worse than any other city's ghetto now.

Last edited by Futcha; 10-26-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You've only displayed how little you really know. All you've shown everybody are run-down boats and buildings. Whether or not a neighborhood is run-down is not the determining factor of it being a slum. Those photos you posted of Brownsville, which is not the most dangerous neighborhood in NYC, are in renovated parts of Brownsville. There are many parts of Brownsville that have burnt-out building after burnt-out building, homeless person after homeless person, drug dealer after drug dealer... Especially at night. Plus, those new tenements that are portrayed as brand new luxury lofts in the South Bronx... Those things are built like ****... Insulation is ****... The whole building is just a fresh piece of **** in place of the old piece of **** that once stood there.

Those slums in HK are nowhere near as violent as certain areas of American cities.

You mentioned LA as having BAD ghettos. Compton's crime rate dropped significantly over the past few years, dropping it from 4th to 14th in just one year. This year we suspect it'll be around 25th and the next year after that it won't even be in the top 25. There are houses in Compton have been selling for over $400k. The danger has really diminished considerably. It's not safe enough to walk in late at night, but it's nothing worse than any other city's ghetto now.
Please go pick up a book and read since you are having a hard time grasping simple definitions.

As I've simply stated earlier, slum and ghetto are to different things. Slums have little to do with crime and more to do with living conditions. Slums in Somalia are much safer than Brownsville but the people who live in the welfare projects in Brownsville have a much higher-living than the people in Somalian slums. The last time I checked, there was running water in Brownsville and South Bronx. Do you get it?

For all I could care, Brooklyn could have 100000X the crime rate of Harbor View slums in Hong Kong but the living conditions in Hong Kong slums make it a slum. Their living conditions are extremely unsanitary and sub-par and the neighborhoods look like it was ground zero of war. You obviously don't venture out of Scarsdale, or the United States for that matter if you think you can find any neighborhood that looks as bad as these slums I've been showing you.

And what the hell does LA and Compton have to do with any of this? Did I ask for a crime briefing of Compton. Are you trying to tell me Compton is safe???? Apartments in Harlem have sold for $10 million, $15mm, does that make Harlem rosy and luxurious? Uh No. And once again, you are clueless if you think Compton is the only and worst ghetto in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City