U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs Hong Kong
New York City 36 53.73%
Hong Kong 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,040,215 times

Advertisements

Well that's part of it haha

I think what he was trying to say was that the slums here don't compare to slums all over the world(though i could be wrong)

Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,569,705 times
Look at the photos SuperMario posted on the previous page. Photo #6, correct me if I'm wrong, has a Hummer parked in front of slums... That's called a drug dealer. Photo #13, correct me if I'm wrong, has a Suburban on chromes parked in front of abandoned buildings... That's also called a drug dealer.

People try to tell everybody here New York has lost its slums and as much as I'd like NYC to be as beautiful as Paris, it's not going to happen. The murder rate has risen almost 10% this year as compared to last, NYPD is getting sued left and right (take a look in the NYC forum and see for yourself), and minorities in NYC are so angry at NYPD they've even sparked small riots such as the one on Macon Street in Brooklyn in which an NYPD vehicle put a small dent in a corner deli in a small accident causing the neighborhood to fight back forcefully at times... Here's the video of it...

YouTube - NYPD Vs Black People,(Macon st riot)

Look at the endless videos of NYPD police brutality...
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Another recent incident is where NYPD officers in HARLEM ripped an African American doll's head off and put it on the hood of their car. Another one is where NYPD deleted a guy's subway station photos fromhis camera for obvious terrorism reasons, but then deleted his personal photos, too. A lawsuit is pending regarding that but has probably already been lost by the guy. Another one is the Sean Bell incident in which NYPD officers shot and killed an African American male the day before his wedding while his fiance was pregnant. They later found no weapons on the guy and the officers involved were let free, causing family, friends, and certain NYC neighborhoods to "stop snitching" because they now hate the police.

People in this city are beginning to distrust the police, hate the police and causing civil unrest on the streets spaking small riots now. I hate to admit it, but if NYC continues down the path we're on currently, NYC will be "that scary place" that it was in the 70s, 80s, and early-90s. As much as I would've loved to see NYC during those times, I don't want to have to fear for my life while in the city.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM

0 posts, read 1,271,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This is the greatest city in the world:

No slums?

lol

LMAO, WTF? Is that what you guys call slums? I've seen neighborhoods here in Houston that look just as bad.

Quote:
A UN Expert Group has created an operational definition of a slum as an area that combines to various extents the following characteristics: inadequate access to safe water; inadequate access to sanitation and other infrastructure;
So, "supermario" and "future cop", I'm intrigued; exactly what neighborhood in New York City (hell, even LA or Chicago) has no running water or has no access to sanitation? I'd like to know and drive through next time I'm in New York. Do people starve in Bronx? No. Do people live in huts in Bronx? No. Do people drink sewage waters in Bronx? No. Do you actually think those photographs of Bronx even hold a candle to the ones of the slums of Hong Kong???

Of course you wouldn't know, because you two obviously have limited experience with worldwide affairs and both of you try your hardest to hype New York City up as this big bad dangerous city when in actuality, it is actually overall safer than Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, DC, Memphis, Atlanta, Dallas, Saint Louis and Detroit, but that's another story all together.

But I do find it amusing that those are worst photographs you could come up with. Those photographs of Hong Kong look undisputedly more disgusting than those Bronx ghettos. The people who live in actuall slums undisputedly live in more dispicable conditions than those who live in those childs play Bronx ghettos.

In any case, I'm still waiting for the answer which should sum up this entire question:

Would you rather live in this?

Bronx, New York

Or this actual slum?

Case closed.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,203,005 times
Nobody is hyping it up. And that's your opinion, that those pics dont look bad. Even back in the 70's, NYC had running water and people were not starving. And yet everyone knows how bad it was. You are comparing the richest and most powerful country in the world to India (where the picture is from , Dhavari slums), which is over populated and less developed. NYC is also compromised of mostly tenement buildings. So it's slums are going to look different than Dhavari slums. Apples and Oranges. And I'd like to see those photos of Houston.

And I rather live in the second one. At least I dont feel like the walls are coming in on me. You see that big brown cardboard looking building? Well, have you ever been inside one of those? Those are like mini prisons. Alot of the apartments are drug dens and the vacant lots are used to hide bodies. I would rather live in Hong Kong, where at least I dont have to worry about getting my head blown off, just for going outside. I would rather live in Hong Kong, where I dont have to go up 8 flights of stairs, with no elevatators, with feces on the stairs, **** on the floor and vomit on the railing. I would rather live in Hong Kong than sit in my tiny 1 bedroom apartment, where the only window is facing the garbage, where roaches and rats roam freely, and where I dont have to freeze to death because of the lack of heat.

Since the comparison was between Hong Kong and New York, please post a picture of a Hong Kong slum and not one of what many people consider to be the worst and biggest slum in the world, Dhavari.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM

He has posted some photos of HK's slums but they're nothing more than buildings with clothes drying over a railing or just plain dirty. The fact of the matter is, HK's slums are safe, they just look like ****. NYC's slums are dangerous and look like ****.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Nobody is hyping it up. And that's your opinion, that those pics dont look bad. Even back in the 70's, NYC had running water and people were not starving. And yet everyone knows how bad it was. You are comparing the richest and most powerful country in the world to India (where the picture is from , Dhavari slums), which is over populated and less developed. NYC is also compromised of mostly tenement buildings. So it's slums are going to look different than Dhavari slums. Apples and Oranges. And I'd like to see those photos of Houston.

And I rather live in the second one. At least I dont feel like the walls are coming in on me. You see that big brown cardboard looking building? Well, have you ever been inside one of those? Those are like mini prisons. Alot of the apartments are drug dens and the vacant lots are used to hide bodies. I would rather live in Hong Kong, where at least I dont have to worry about getting my head blown off, just for going outside. I would rather live in Hong Kong, where I dont have to go up 8 flights of stairs, with no elevatators, with feces on the stairs, **** on the floor and vomit on the railing. I would rather live in Hong Kong than sit in my tiny 1 bedroom apartment, where the only window is facing the garbage, where roaches and rats roam freely, and where I dont have to freeze to death because of the lack of heat.
I don't even have a reply to this. Don't you live in Bronx, away? You are still breathing, right? Your head is not blown off and still intact, yes? You haven't even been to Hong Kong, (or left North America for that matter) so there is no point of continuing this conversation. You are very clueless if you believe any ghetto in NYC is to the caliber of what you would see in Asia or South America and something must be wrong with your eyes if you believe those photos of Bronx look as bad as the slums in HK and the rest of the world (with the exception of Europe).

Quote:
Since the comparison was between Hong Kong and New York, please post a picture of a Hong Kong slum and not one of what many people consider to be the worst and biggest slum in the world, Dhavari.
Sure. The photographs of Davhari were meant to show what a TRUE slum looked like, since we deviated off of the topic of Hong Kong and are now talking about crime in Bronx. But here are more Hong Kong pics since you apparently skipped over them a page or two ago:.

Anything else?

Last edited by Americanboy; 10-27-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Yes, there is something else... What are the odds of them walking out of their building and having a bat connect with their forehead in HK? I'd rather walk through any HK slum at night than walk through Hunts Point in the Bronx. What's the murder rate up in Hunts Point now? Last I checked it was up 800% from last year. Is it up 1000% yet?

Let me reword the whole thing. I prefer not to call them slums, but ghettos.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,056,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yes, there is something else... What are the odds of them walking out of their building and having a bat connect with their forehead in HK? I'd rather walk through any HK slum at night than walk through Hunts Point in the Bronx.

Don't worry, you're not a Slumlord...

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yes, there is something else... What are the odds of them walking out of their building and having a bat connect with their forehead in HK? I'd rather walk through any HK slum at night than walk through Hunts Point in the Bronx. What's the murder rate up in Hunts Point now? Last I checked it was up 800% from last year. Is it up 1000% yet?

Quote:
slum

 /slʌm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sluhm] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, slummed, slum⋅ming. –noun 1. Often, slums. a thickly populated, run-down, squalid part of a city, inhabited by poor people. 2. any squalid, run-down place to live.
Slums have nothing to do with crime as I've been saying over and over.

Yes, Hunts Point, South Bronx, Newark or whatever ghetto neighborhood you can name in and around NYC are dangerous and are more dangerous than the slums in Hong Kong, Bangladesh, etc but the living conditions, sanitation, lack of access clean water make the slums slums. After all, the United States is statically a very dangerous and crime filled country.

And to go off topic, I hate to break it to you anyway but Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis etc are more dangerous than New York City so you're not really scaring anybody with this false suggestion that NYC is significantly more dangerous than any of the country's other large cities.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Slums have nothing to do with crime as I've been saying over and over.

Yes, Hunts Point, South Bronx, Newark or whatever ghetto neighborhood you can name in and around NYC are very dangerous and are more dangerous than the slums in Hong Kong, Bangladesh, etc but the living conditions, sanitation, lack of access clean water make the slums slums.

And to go off topic, I hate to break it to you anyway but Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, DC, etc are more dangerous than New York City.
Did I say they weren't? But there's one city you listed that is actually safer than Boston... Los Angeles. Los Angeles' crime rate has dropped significantly over the last decade. You left out Philly. Philly's more dangerous than all of them. But NYC's crime rate is increasing this year, LA's is decreasing, Chicago's is increasing, Atlanta's is increasing... But that's not the point.

NYC is a wealthy city. The crime rates are a horrible way to judge a city like this. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn that will make any gangbanger **** his pants, while there are so many areas around the city smothered in money.

PS I really don't care about slums. If it's not crime-ridden, then who cares? There are plenty of people in NYC who don't even have a roof over their head, who live in subways, who live in sewers, in dumpsters, on rooftops, in basements, in building hallways, etc. Homeless in NYC in the dead of winter is not something any of us would call "fine living."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City