U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM

84,981 posts, read 98,832,039 times

Advertisements

The Seattleites I have known tend to be very provincial in their outlook, as in no place could compare favorably. Anything different was bad. Granted, I have a small sample size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM

159 posts, read 536,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Seattleites I have known tend to be very provincial in their outlook, as in no place could compare favorably. Anything different was bad. Granted, I have a small sample size.
I definitely agree with you, at least when it comes to native Seattleites (and probably some transplants). As much as I love the city myself, it got a little annoying.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM

137 posts, read 313,654 times
I agree that Pittsburgh is very provincial. I love the place, and the east end neighborhoods around the universities and hospitals tend to be fairly transient, but much of the rest of the city is the opposite. People live in one neighborhood and hardly leave that neighborhood. It's weird. Then again, I know a girl who grew up in Manhattan's lower east side and had never been to Brooklyn.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,047,141 times
Seems like barely anyone was actually born in Florida and/or Sarasota. The people here seem, even now, to rotate in and out like musical chairs...extremely transient which IMHO accounts for the high crime rate and abysmal educational system. Remember Tebow just scored a 22 out of 50(University of Florida) in the NFL Quarterback IQ test. One of the questions was: "What is the 8th month of the year?"

On the flip side; Sarasota is very arrogant and provincial, which cracks me up...we don't even have sidewals or stormdrains in half the city and open ditches contain raw sewage. As a visit to the bayfront is an olfactory shock to one's body. Oh and I forget the wonderful and deadly red tide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algal_bloom http://www.answers.com/topic/algal-bloom http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/redtide/

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-16-2010 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM

134 posts, read 85,021 times
^^^^These people seem to be enjoying themselves as the stench you describe does not seem to be affecting them.

YouTube - Sarasota Bayfront Park

Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 PM

4,680 posts, read 4,015,829 times
Realistically, the most transient cities are going to be ones with both large immigrant populations and also places that people in the US frequently relocate to for lifestyle/jobs. New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are high up there with both, Miami has a very high percentage of immigrants, and Las Vegas & Phoenix have blown up in population that largely came from the rest of the US.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 PM

491 posts, read 1,143,031 times
Most transient city has got to be Vegas. Not only are 90% of the people here, including myself, not from here, a large percentage also have no desire to stay here permanently. People tend to say they are "just passing through" Vegas. It is considered more of a place to pass some time than a place to settle in permanently.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,411,854 times
D.C. hands down

Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Transient: Most of The Sunbelt, and New York City. The most transient places tend to be the most popular places.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 AM

2,316 posts, read 6,696,862 times
I live in a house (including me) of 9 people in Portland. Out of us, one is from Laguna Beach but went to high school in a Bay Area enclave in Southern Oregon, one is from Chicago burbs, one is from Boston burbs, one's from Memphis, one's from North Carolina, one is from Humboldt County, CA, one is from Colorado but went to high school in a small town east of Portland, and one is from Missouri. I'm the only one born and raised in Oregon, and I'm from a small town near the California border.

I know a handful of native Portlanders. They are hard to find, and all the transplants are provincial like you wouldn't believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City