U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,254,652 times

Advertisements

I have to admit being fascinated by the discussion, particularly since we're really comparing apples to oranges when it comes to race relations. Having lived in Alabama for about 15 years, I admit to being startled at first by the sheer number of blacks, as opposed to our living in Chicago or Cleveland or San Diego. In fact, last year, when I went to visit relatives in Indiana, I remember thinking how something was different, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on it. Then, at the grocery store, I saw a black woman at the grocery store. That was it. I was in a lilly-white community. Even in the whitest place in Alabama, you still see blacks every day in your daily life, work, and schools. Heck, my kids are in the Mountain Brook school system, one of the top 20 public school systems in the country by some organization's reckoning, and that school system is not 100% white.

In Alabama, 25% of the population is black. In California, it's 6.5%. In Massachusetts, it's 5.5%. In fact, in 25 of the states, the percentage of blacks less than 7%. Whether you realize it or not, that utterly changes the dynamic of relationships between ethnic groups. So if you're living in a state where only 5.5% of the population is black, it's awfully easy to cluck your tongue at a state such as Mississippi where 36.33% of the state is black--and talk about how enlightened you are at race relations. Yet, as somebody pointed out, there are large parts of South Boston today where blacks just shouldn't go, which just isn't the case in Birmingham.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,218,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So if you're living in a state where only 5.5% of the population is black, it's awfully easy to cluck your tongue at a state such as Mississippi where 36.33% of the state is black--and talk about how enlightened you are at race relations.
I think you just summed up the reason why white southerners have traditionally held such animosity towards white liberals from blue states.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM

44,665 posts, read 43,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think you just summed up the reason why white southerners have traditionally held such animosity towards white liberals from blue states.
It might be easy for liberal views to be spoken of in the North, but I will input this. The North and the South were never that much better than one another. Both regions have baggage to deal with.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Yep. One of my neighbors, a white attorney who really risked his career fighting for integration, has a photo of a bunch of Southies in Boston impaling a black man with an American flag on a pole. The year it was taken? 1976.

I asked him why he kept such an awful picture on his study. He said, "Well, whenever one of my northern friends start talking about their enlightened attitudes towards race relations, I show him this."

Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yep. One of my neighbors, a white attorney who really risked his career fighting for integration, has a photo of a bunch of Southies in Boston impaling a black man with an American flag on a pole. The year it was taken? 1976.

I asked him why he kept such an awful picture on his study. He said, "Well, whenever one of my northern friends start talking about their enlightened attitudes towards race relations, I show him this."
What are you trying to say about your friend from Boston?

By the way, it proves the USA has issues in general. Sometime in 2001, a fraternity at Auburn University(in Alabama) had a Halloween party with very racial themes, specifically, blackface, and people dressed as the KKK.

After reading your post and giving my post, it shows the North and the South have problems. The South just gets the most publicity for it.

There were also some southern whites who took a proactive stance in civil rights. People like Morris Dees.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What are you trying to say about your friend from Boston?
I don't understand. I live in Birmingham. I think he's trying to tell all those Northerners to not be quite so sanctimonious.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I don't understand. I live in Birmingham. I think he's trying to tell all those Northerners to not be quite so sanctimonious.
In short, he was using that picture to show that things aren't always so great on the other side.

I knnow a few people from the northern states and many of them don't want to think of their states as having the same racial problems as the South. A few will admit it though.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
In short, he was using that picture to show that things aren't always so great on the other side.

I knnow a few people from the northern states and many of them don't want to think of their states as having the same racial problems as the South. A few will admit it though.
Yep. I once nailed somebody from New Jersey on this. He was ripping me on Alabama and slavery. I pointed out that, actually, New Jersey was the last state in the Union where ownership of slaves was legal, and that there were slaves in New Jersey at the end of the civil war. He bet me twenty bucks. We got online, and I won the bet.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:21 AM

835 posts, read 2,042,119 times
Quote:

By the way, it proves the USA has issues in general. Sometime in 2001, a fraternity at Auburn University(in Alabama) had a Halloween party with very racial themes, specifically, blackface, and people dressed as the KKK.
Something similar happened a couple years ago at Clemson University (in South Carolina) on MLK Day. I think part of it was racism and the other part of it was the social irresponsibility of some stupid kids who thought it was funny.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,619,212 times
I think these days that race relations are better in the South than the North. Northern cities these days are far more segregated than Southern cities....that's one reason why the Reverse Migration is happening. The other reason is that the South's economy is doing far better and more job opportunities are available and housing prices are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or