Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both regions, the North is FAR more segregated than the South - especially when it comes to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
In the South today I have found that oftentimes its more acceptable to be prejudiced against hispanics than blacks. Many people here will have a truly better understanding of the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's that centered around black civil rights, because they or their family went through the scenes that the media decided to focus on. Some are stuck in the past, but most have come past all that. So I don't know if the non-black population in the South or non-South as a whole has "better" or "worse" relations with blacks.
However, the issue of hispanic immigrants is a whole different deal. I see a lot of anti-hispanic attitude here. However, even that is changing quickly in certain places.
Again, a generalization, there are good and bad people everywhere. Even individuals have their differing days.
And this version of the south I'm mentioning obviously excludes much of Texas. I'm more talking about the deep south.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I also don't think the North is less segregated than the South. And the index of dissimilarity (google it) agrees with me.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
In the South today I have found that oftentimes its more acceptable to be prejudiced against hispanics than blacks. Many people here will have a truly better understanding of the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's that centered around black civil rights, because they or their family went through the scenes that the media decided to focus on. Some are stuck in the past, but most have come past all that. So I don't know if the non-black population in the South or non-South as a whole has "better" or "worse" relations with blacks.
However, the issue of hispanic immigrants is a whole different deal. I see a lot of anti-hispanic attitude here. However, even that is changing quickly in certain places.
Again, a generalization, there are good and bad people everywhere. Even individuals have their differing days.
And this version of the south I'm mentioning obviously excludes much of Texas. I'm more talking about the deep south.
I don't consider Texas a Southern state, but please elaborate.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
This is a pretty spot-on assessment, blubeard.

There is absolutely a comfort level here between black/white that I have never witnessed up North.

The foaming at the mouth reaction of a lot of suburbanites here against the hipanics is mind boggling at times. Although I don't defend it, I do believe that a lot of what is going on has more to do with legal status than anything.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:16 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is a pretty spot-on assessment, blubeard.

There is absolutely a comfort level here between black/white that I have never witnessed up North.
The foaming at the mouth reaction of a lot of suburbanites here against the hipanics is mind boggling at times. Although I don't defend it, I do believe that a lot of what is going on has more to do with legal status than anything.
What comfort level?

The foaming at the mouth attitude towards Hispanics many people speak of may have to do with the legal status. With that said, I have ran into a few people who seem to talk as if all Hispanics are illegal and don't speak English.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM

The comfort level I speak of will make itself very obvious as you grow older and travel more widely - trust me.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It is borderline Midwest at best.
That is a load of crap. Cleveland has the same culture, architecture, etc. as Detroit and Chicago and has the same feel as those two cities. Cleveland is a solidly Midwestern city...in fact it was one of the first Midwestern cities. Ohio was the very first Midwestern state.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. One of my neighbors, a white attorney who really risked his career fighting for integration, has a photo of a bunch of Southies in Boston impaling a black man with an American flag on a pole. The year it was taken? 1976.

I asked him why he kept such an awful picture on his study. He said, "Well, whenever one of my northern friends start talking about their enlightened attitudes towards race relations, I show him this."
You're attorney is dangerously ignorant.
The white kid in the photo is named Joe Rakes, who was all of 17 at the time, and he wasn't trying to impale the black fella (Ted Landsmark). He was swinging the flag pole around and Landsmark almost walked into it.
It's funny (sad) how damaging a single shutter of a camera can be.

It was on city hall plaza in Boston in 1976 and it was at this time that the city was in upheaval due to forced busing. As Joe Rakes tells it, "How would you feel if all of a sudden some judge in Wellesley took your best friends away?" Kids you went to school with all your life are suddenly being sent to a school 5 miles away in a bad neighborhood simply because some liberal a-hole judge declares that the schools are too segregated.
The truth was, that it wasn't about segregation at all but about the fact that the schools in the bad neighborhoods were underperforming. Cue the buses to bring the white kids in order to spread the misery around.

Black people didn't mind this as it meant that many of their kids would go to better schools in better neighborhoods. Not so for the white kids who were being sent to bad schools in bad neighborhoods.
What would you do?

This is what set off the racial tensions at that time. Over thirty years ago. Racial tensions that do not exist today!

Tell your lawyer that TomDot called him a horse's behind.

Last edited by TomDot; 12-08-2008 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You're attorney is dangerously ignorant.
The white kid in the photo is named Joe Rakes, who was all of 17 at the time, and he wasn't trying to impale the black fella (Ted Landsmark). He was swinging the flag pole around and Landsmark almost walked into it.
It's funny (sad) how damaging a single shutter of a camera can be.

It was on city hall plaza in Boston in 1976 and it was at this time that the city was in upheaval due to forced busing. As Joe Rakes tells it, "How would you feel if all of a sudden some judge in Wellesley took your best friends away?" Kids you went to school with all your life are suddenly being sent to a school 5 miles away in a bad neighborhood simply because some liberal a-hole judge declares that the schools are too segregated.
The truth was, that it wasn't about segregation at all but about the fact that the schools in the bad neighborhoods were underperforming. Cue the buses to bring the white kids in order to spread the misery around.

Black people didn't mind this as it meant that many of their kids would go to better schools in better neighborhoods. Not so for the white kids who were being sent to bad schools in bad neighborhoods.
What would you do?

This is what set off the racial tensions at that time. Over thirty years ago. Racial tensions that do not exist today!

Tell your lawyer that TomDot called him a horse's behind.
So let me see if I understand this correctly. Southerners protest integrating schools, some local galoots get out of hand, and it's justifiably a national scandal. Bostonians protest integrating schools, some local galoots get out of hand, and it's just a small misunderstanding. Right. Thanks for clearing all that up for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City