U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,763,776 times

Advertisements

Yep. Welcome to the so called "progressive" NE attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,212,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So let me see if I understand this correctly. Southerners protest integrating schools, some local galoots get out of hand, and it's justifiably a national scandal. Bostonians protest integrating schools, some local galoots get out of hand, and it's just a small misunderstanding. Right. Thanks for clearing all that up for us.
First of all I am only attempting to set the record straight as far as the incident that you outlined.
Secondly, I have not mentioned a word about school desegregation in the south. If you want to defend what happened in the south regarding desegregation you are certainly free to do so.
Thirdly, I agree with you. Racism is racism.

I apologize for the tenor of my initial post but people who are not aware of what happened in the 70's here in Boston are a dime a dozen on this board and they are frequently wrong about the whole thing.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
I grew up in South Florida so I do not have a clear loyalty to either "the North" or "the South." With that said, white/black integration in the South seems much better than white/black integration in the North. It seems like in many places in the South, whites and blacks interact quite often. In most places in the North, it seems that segregation between blacks and everyone else (whites, white/mestizo Hispanics, and Asians) is particularly bad, and if anything, I would say that where I was raised in Miami was more like the North than the South in that respect.

However, I must comment on the responses many people in Boston had to the busing plans of the 1970's: as a "liberal" person myself whose best friend is black, I would have vehemently opposed the busing of my child into poor neighborhoods far from my home as well. Many people who opposed the busing were not opposing black people; they weren't even opposing integration - they were opposing the busing of their children miles across town to schools in neighborhoods unfamiliar to them. I think the media sensationalized this issue and unfairly labeled Boston as a racist city - parents in cities across the nation where busing was being court ordered reacted in a similar manner. If a plan such as this were tried nowadays, I am confident that it would cause uproar as well. People love to throw around the word "racism," and this got Boston a reputation that I do not believe it deserves.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,212,190 times
There is one big difference between north and south goes in regards to black populations.
In the north, blacks live almost exclusively in the inner city, in the south they live everywhere.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM

44,545 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
There is one big difference between north and south goes in regards to black populations.
In the north, blacks live almost exclusively in the inner city, in the south they live everywhere.
There is a reason for that. There are more blacks in the South in general. Blacks living in places like Chicago, Detroit, New York City, Philadelphia(in large numbers) is relatively new. Most blacks have been living in the South because blacks were brought to this nation as slaves. After slavery was done away with, many blacks left the South and went to other parts of the nation. A few blacks even settled in the rural areas of Kansas and Nebraska(also known as exodusters). Later on as the industrial revolution began to go into overdrive in the North, so did the African-American migration. Why do places like Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Milwaukee,etc., have large black populations now considering their geographical locations? The factories(and a chance to escape Jim Crow racism in the South) played a big part in that. I will admit there were sundown towns(places where blacks were not welcomed to live) in the North. Traditionally, blacks have never lived in the rural sections of the north in large numbers in many places set up "sundown laws". Actually, every state in the lower 48 had sundown towns.
This is one difference I see from a historical point. Historically, blacks in the South were seen as chattel, the cheap labor. I read this in a National Geographic. Blacks started leaving rural Mississippi to go to the North for better opportunities. Many people didn't like this because of the metality of "who will do the dirty work we won't do?". In the North, there wasn't that mentality. There was no use for "cheap labor". Many places enacted sundown laws because of the mentality of "we have no use for blacks here". There are two sides to every coin. Sure, in the North, there was an anti-slavery sentiment. On the other hand, many places felt blacks were useless and didn't want them there. In the South, sure, blacks were living all over from the cities to the rural areas. On the other hand, many cases they were seen as "cheap labor" and seen as being fit for little more. In both cases, neither was any good.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

44,545 posts, read 43,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I find that to be a bit of a misnormer. Yes, alot of blacks in the north do live in the inner city, with that said, I wouldn't say exclusively. You have blacks living in the suburbs of many northern cities(and not just the suburbs of NYC, Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago). In the north, blacks have been moving to places like Mpls and St. Paul and its suburbs(Brooklyn Park, Hopkins, Richfield,etc.).

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,763,776 times
^You really need to check out the suburbs of the large Northern cities vs. the suburbs here.

The level of racial diversity in the suburbs of Atlanta is simply shocking to many people from the North.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,700,795 times
There are a lot of towns on Long Island with blacks.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,643,512 times
Around Memphis, blacks dominate the inner city, but many are moving to the suburbs. There are some upper-middle class suburban neighborhoods that are entirely black. Black ppl also dominate many of the small country towns around here. From what i've seen, black ppl and white ppl get along better in the small towns because the town is so small that they have to interact with each other on a daily basis.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^You really need to check out the suburbs of the large Northern cities vs. the suburbs here.

The level of racial diversity in the suburbs of Atlanta is simply shocking to many people from the North.
wouldn't it only make sense that things are that way (although rapidly changing in the north)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or