U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 AM

18 posts, read 2,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Cities in the south such as Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, Mobile, New Orleans and Nashville have had established Jewish communities for as long as the cities have had a history. In my hometown of Atlanta, many of the most prominent citizens were Jewish, even in antebellum times.

www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2731&hl=y
I'm amazed at the way some of you like to gloss over the past. Actually, I'm not after seeing how perverse the origins of the civil war actually are. They are intellectually vomit worthy and I say that as a Southerner.

I guess it's ok, maybe it's for the better to skate over the ugliness. The South is doing much better than it was. The ordinary person has no need of the past I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM

12,451 posts, read 17,926,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMatrix View Post
I'm amazed at the way some of you like to gloss over the past. Actually, I'm not after seeing how perverse the origins of the civil war actually are. They are intellectually vomit worthy and I say that as a Southerner.

I guess it's ok, maybe it's for the better to skate over the ugliness. The South is doing much better than it was. The ordinary person has no need of the past I suppose.
And I am amazed that you would take my attempt to bring some balance to your brash statements and label them 'vomit-worthy'. Grow up.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 AM

16,623 posts, read 12,930,418 times
Quote:

I didn't realize the south had a past of anti-semitism any more than Europe or the rest of the United States. Maybe you can tell me more about it?

Where I grew up, there were "old south" Jewish families that were highly regarded members of society. Why don't you enlighten us, since we allegedly just "gloss over the past" ?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
And I am amazed that you would take my attempt to bring some balance to your brash statements and label them 'vomit-worthy'. Grow up.
Lovin, read what I wrote.. Better still read Howell Cobb, who he is and what he wrote and where he's from.

And you do know Atlanta had very infamous anti-jewish incident?

Now, of course many many Jewish people did and do well down there. Thats fact. But so is the other side of the coin, which some of you see as having two heads. There is a tails side.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I didn't realize the south had a past of anti-semitism any more than Europe or the rest of the United States.

Well geeze, how could anything beat Europe. You're playing devils advocate with the devil.

This thread makes me so glad I got out of there. Other parts of the country don't have all this drama...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM

12,451 posts, read 17,926,454 times
Quote:
Well geeze, how could anything beat Europe. You're playing devils advocate with the devil.

This thread makes me so glad I got out of there. Other parts of the country don't have all this drama...
Not as glad as we are.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,971,383 times
Quote:
Not as glad as we are.
I totally agree. People with these negative and divisive attitudes are really nothing but destructive to a healthy society and plant the seeds of hostility in otherwise tolerant people. I'm glad you took your ideas to a "less racist" area of the country!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Origins of Anti-Semitism in the U.S.
Russian anti-Semitic propaganda was also circulated in the U.S., where prejudice against Jews previously had assumed such forms as covert social discrimination. In the U.S., the upsurge of anti-Jewish feeling was part of a general wave of resentment of minority groups, including also Roman Catholics and blacks, that swept the country after World War I.. Another element in U.S. anti-Semitism in the 1920s was its identification of Jews with political radicalism. A notable event was the temporary embracing of anti-Semitism by the American automobile manufacturer Henry Ford, who reprinted the discredited Protocols of the Elders of Zion in his newspaper the Dearborn Independent. Condemned widely, he later apologized for this action. The immigration legislation enacted in the U.S. in 1921 and 1924 was interpreted widely as being at least partly anti-Jewish in intent because it strictly limited the immigration quotas of eastern European nations with large Jewish populations, nations from which 2.5 million Jews had immigrated to the U.S. by 1920.
ANTI-SEMITISM, (http://www.history.com/encyclopedia.do?articleId=201222 - broken link)

Quote:
Anti-Jewish sentiment started around the time of the American Civil War, when General Ulysses S. Grant issued an order of expulsion against Jews from the portions of Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi under his control. This order was quickly rescinded by Abraham Lincoln, but not before it had been enforced in number of towns.
History of antisemitism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should really read the entire article on antisemitism in the U.S. on wikipedia. It tells the true and entire story, not just the parts that have to do with the southern U.S.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Lovin, read what I wrote.. Better still read Howell Cobb, who he is and what he wrote and where he's from.

And you do know Atlanta had very infamous anti-jewish incident?

Now, of course many many Jewish people did and do well down there. Thats fact. But so is the other side of the coin, which some of you see as having two heads. There is a tails side.
Yes, there was a lynching of a Jewish man who was wrongly accused of raping a 13 year old girl....and it was almost 100 years ago.

Atlanta also has the 11th highest concentration of Jews among U.S. cities, and has had a prominent Jewish community since the turn of the century.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM

24,147 posts, read 24,539,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think that a person's view on what is racist is purely subjective.

I find it interesting that no matter what I hear about the South, we can always count on that region to support the political ideology that has more commonality with the klan than not. The South is always painted RED during election years, so true even this year with the emergence of a great man in Obama who happens to be black. I would've been astonished to see states like Mississippi and Alabama go for Obama. This would've spoken volumes about how far the South has truly come. Racists and white segregationalists complain about blacks not being educated and giving the honest effort, yet when a black man is presented to them who has done just that, they shun him for an inferior white candidate in McCain. I appears like many supported McCain because Obama is black. Quite pathetic.

Racism exists everywhere in this country, even in the Northeast. But the Northeast voted against Bush in '00 and '04, and overwhelmingly voted for Obama. What this tells me is that, though ignorant racist people exist everywhere, there is a far greater proportion of these rejects in the South than there is in the more densely populated Northeast. Other northern regions like the Midwest and N. CA, Oregon, and WA go likewise.

Yes, I'm proud to be a yankee. I find that in the North, it is easier to simply be a "person."
Holy mackerel, this is a nonsensical post. Just because the South didn't vote for Barack Obama, this makes them a bunch of repentant racists? Gotta love that line of thinking.

I'll offer up a different point of view. The South was run as the private adjunct of the Democratic Party for over 120 years. Even today, Democrats still have a majority in most state legislatures here. However, there is deep-seated resentment over how the Democratic Party ran things for a long, long time. The South's traditional position as the country's economic basketcase was a direct result of Democratic policies, corruption, and a host of other ills. Today, with a true, two-party system in those same states, guess what has happened? Much more efficient governments, and rapidly growing economies. The result? The average per capita income in the South was roughly 60% of that of the North in 1950. Today, it's around 95%. Add in lower taxes, and many southern states are actually doing quite well.

Now, on to the other ridiculous statement you make, mainly that Southerners would not vote for a black man. That would be so much baloney. If Colin Powell had run for president as a Republican, I would bet my bottom dollar that he would have garnered resounding majorities throughout the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City