U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 9,359,205 times

Advertisements

Here is a interesting perspective on urban planning, zoning and land use. This was from an interview in this week's "Next American City" a magazine that reports in the area of Planning/Zoning/etc and related trends.

INTERVIEW QUESTION:
Quote:
That’s interesting to me, because in reading your stuff I’m wondering what it is – ideally – that you’re aiming for. What’s our ideal city? You’re always the critic, but if you didn’t have to be, if everyone listened to Randal O’Toole and followed your prescriptions, what would that look like?

INTERVIEW RESPONSE:
Quote:
[…]So, I’m a pragmatist. I don’t a vision of what a city should look like, I have a vision of a process that allows people to live in the kind of city they want to live in. There’s a significant amount of people that want to live in a city like Manhattan or San Francisco. And there’s a significant amount of people who want to live in a city like Houston. And what I want is a process that allows people to live in whatever kind of city they do want to live in. I think that if a process were implemented that basically allows property owners to do what they want with their property as long as they’re not directly harming other people, and basically allows people to decide how they’re going to get around based on the real cost of transportation – making sure that auto drivers pay the full cost of their travel and making sure that people who ride transit pay the cost of they’re transit, with, perhaps, subsidies for low-income people who need help – if they have that kind of system I think most American cities would look a little more like Houston and Omaha then San Francisco or New York. But we’d still have dense areas – we’d still have Manhattan, we’d still have downtown San Francisco, for the people who want to live in places like that."
Here is the link to the full article/interview: http://americancity.org/index.php/an-interview-with-randall-otoole-the-anti-planner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,392,242 times
this is quickly going to become a thread where people will bash Houston and Omaha.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 PM

29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
this is quickly going to become a thread where people will bash Houston and Omaha.
...not Scranton? Will nobody bash Scranton anymore?!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
...not Scranton? Will nobody bash Scranton anymore?!
start a Scranton vs New York City thread and you will get 40 pages of bashing.

do it! i dare you!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM

29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Quote:
start a Scranton vs New York City thread and you will get 40 pages of bashing.

do it! i dare you!
Naw. I treasure my time here on City-Data and don't want to get banned. Now Scranton vs. Baghdad, on the other hand, might be a more even race.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Naw. I treasure my time here on City-Data and don't want to get banned. Now Scranton vs. Baghdad, on the other hand, might be a more even race.
lol

I would have picked Scranton over New York City.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
But we’d still have dense areas – we’d still have Manhattan, we’d still have downtown San Francisco, for the people who want to live in places like that."
Unfortunately, only 2-3 places in America are like the above mentioned.
In fact, the recent surge in Downtown living and development across America is an indicator that many cities are finally discovering how important it is to have a vital downtown. I wonder if its too late for most cities to have ubran vibrancy like NY or SF?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM

2,584 posts, read 9,359,205 times
Quote:
I agree, but that was not the intent... it was more the perspective of specific planning to make a place look "like it should" versus a little more hands off approach to see how something will develop "like people want it to".... Not anti- or pro-planning and not to start another debate on Omaha.... but how strictly to plan versus natural progression of what the general population is looking for... in my mind its a balance in planning

Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,409,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I agree, but that was not the intent... it was more the perspective of specific planning to make a place look "like it should" versus a little more hands off approach to see how something will develop "like people want it to".... Not anti- or pro-planning and not to start another debate on Omaha.... but how strictly to plan versus natural progression of what the general population is looking for... in my mind its a balance in planning
Lets be honest: If you think intent matters on this forum, you are clearly mistaken.

Why didn't you say so? Your thread automatically pits 4 cities against each other. There's nothing wrong with that in theory I guess, but I think all of the combinations with these 4 cities have been done. We've had Omaha vs. the world, Houston vs. New York, SF, Mexico...etc.

No offense, but it just gets really tired, especially when people think certain people of a particular city are doing it and the cities being compared have few similarities as you implied.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Will someone please explain to me why it's always New York versus some other city? You can't compare any other city to New York, period. At least, not until that other city attains a population of eight million and has a comparably sized mass transit system as well as a similar number of professional sports teams. And even then, it can only be a comparison, not a contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City