U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm currently considering either Boulder or Eugene for my residency next year, I'm looking at those two places to either attend the University of Oregon or the University of Colorado. I'm honestly split 50/50 on both of these places and need some advice that can help guide my decision. They both seem like great places for me because I love the outdoors (biking, hiking, running, walking) i love organic food and although I'm not vegetarian I seem to like restaurants that advertise themselves to vegetarians, I love all forms of art (specifically music, so there needs to be a good local music scene). I might not look the part but I suppose you could classify me as a "bohemian". Liberal arts and science schools are too pricey, so I would like to find a large univesity that is as close as possible to seeming like one.

Worries about Eugene: i like overcast days and cooler, damp climates, but not enough sunny days to enjoy the outdoors? The nightlife, is it dead?

Worries about Boulder: the weather: I can't stand dry weather. Number 1 party school (sounds contradictary to my concern about Eugene I know, but the fact is I want a place with a lively night life, but number 1 party school seems like a turnoff).

Any factors I'm overlooking (I already know the cost differential and the programs the schools offer, etc.) or factors I'm wrong about? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Colorado is pretty darn dry and sunny. Many find it glorious, but if you dislike aridity, it could be a problem. It's been plenty snowy this past winter, though.
Boulder does have an active nightlife, but I think you could avoid the overtly obnoxious partying.
I really do not know much about Eugene, but FWIW, I do know of two young people from Denver who attended Lewis and Clark college and both of them ended up permanently staying in Oregon after graduation, one in Portland and one in Eugene. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 6,133,595 times
There is a thread about the University of Oregon in the Oregon forum. You might want to take a look at that.
Eugene is liberal and bohemian. That might fit your lifestyle.Yes it's going to rain in Eugene but not all the time. It is a very friendly biking city. Track running and walking are popular there.
I could not say much about Boulder since it've never been there.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,286,459 times
Both are very nice. I think I'd personally pick Boulder. It's close to Denver and I couldn't stand Eugene's almost constant clouds/drizzle.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,819,029 times
Similar places - both have a friendly but somewhat snooty vibe, mixed in with the racous colleg vibe. Boulder feels a little more vibrant. Weather may be the biggest difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City