U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 PM

90 posts, read 220,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
But the average salary for a Network Engineer is a lot higher in Las Cruces than it is in Phoenix.

Las Cruces (average): Network Engineer Salaries in Las Cruces, NM - Free Salary Search

Phoenix (average): Network Engineer Salaries in Phoenix, AZ - Free Salary Search

$77000 in LC compared to $68000 in PHX. Better all round.

And the average gap for a Network Manager is a lot more.

$ talks!
ppl in las cruces make more money than most others in the sw especially around the i-10 corridor lots of ppl from el paso drive back and forth i dont know why they just dont buy a house in cruces and live there I WOULD but that just me. anyways its not the money, its weather or not you will find a job. its a small city with high paying jobs but there can only be so many jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 AM

339 posts, read 1,118,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmikker View Post
well... i think phoenix is a grate place for a job, just to get laid off 5 years later. Las Cruces and New Mexico as a whole have a very strong work force were instead of jobs going to California or to Europe they are coming here for example schott solar and sapphire energy, one from europe and the other from califorina. They will most likely be very successful considering they are clean energy solutions so it can only get better. don't forget about white sands, NMSU NASA and other "classified" jobs provided by the government. bottom line if you have a job in Las Cruces and its a good one you are much better off than most of the country and NO havening a job in El Paso does not count, your trying to move forwards not backwards. Now norther NM... that is untouchable unless you are a rocket/nuclear scientist or a nanotechnology expert or know the distance between your house and the moon in MM have a doctoral or are a surgeon if so... you should try up there!
I don't think I'll ever be that qualified!

Thanks for the rest of the info though. Reps 4 U! [thinking of hand gesture for reps like in advert]

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,001,566 times
Las Cruces all the way ....I personally don't like Phoenix ....I like Phoenix best when I see it in my rear view mirror

Phoenix is like a Los Angeles in the desert ....a sprawling mess .....and I LIKE L.A. better than Phoenix

Also Phoenix is too hot for me ....I like heat but too much of a good thing ....

Here's a comparsion of climate stats .....

PHOENIX Vs LAS CRUCES

HI LO.......HI LO
66 41 JAN 59 28
71 45 FEB 65 32
76 49 MAR 71 37
85 55 APR 80 45
94 64 MAY 88 52
104 73 JUN 96 61
106 81 JUL 96 67
104 79 AUG 95 65
98 73 SEPT 91 58
88 61 OCT. 82 48
75 49 NOV. 68 35
66 42 DEC. 60 29

Phoenix is nice from Oct to May ...but June to Sept is a killer

Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 AM

206 posts, read 422,767 times
Not to be persnickiny, 6foot3, but the Apache were late arivals in AZ. and N.M. ariving about 1600, (same time as the Spanish). They are from Canada originally and when they arrived in this area they killed, drove off, or absorbed the original Indians who inhabited the area.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Not to be persnickiny, 6foot3, but the Apache were late arivals in AZ. and N.M. ariving about 1600, (same time as the Spanish). They are from Canada originally and when they arrived in this area they killed, drove off, or absorbed the original Indians who inhabited the area.
Thank you for the interesting information.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,017,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Hello,
I have been researching a lot about living in Phoenix, and I have decided to expand my search horizons.

Background:
I Currently live in the UK, and I have visited AZ and NM Twice, both within the last 4 years. I absolutely hate the weather in the UK and would like to move to somewhere warmer. I am planning on studying Network management and Engineering at university (College in USA) so I would not be in a position to move for at least another 5 years.

I was mainly wondering about cost of living in Las Cruces compared to Phoenix, as well as some general Information. I will be spending a lot of time looking back through the forums, but I would also like up-to-date opinions and insights into general life in Las Cruces, Especially that of a Network Engineer or similar.

Also, I have found this MLS Map search facility for Phoenix, and I was wondering if there was a similar type of one that anyone here knows about:
Search Phoenix area listings — Arizona Real Estate Notebook

Thank you in advance,
Lloyd Collins
I guess I'll respond to this since I've lived in both Phoenix (3 years) and Las Cruces (currently, 1.5 years).

Phoenix is a huge city. With that, you will find a vast amount of opportunity and choice. I moved there in 1999 and found work within days - less than a week. I'm a skilled worker, and anyone with something special to offer should have no trouble. Within the metro area (that is within roughly 10 miles of downtown PHX) you can find a decent place to live affordably. I rented a nice, clean 1-bedroom apartment for under $500/mo. It depends on what sort of living situation you're after. Now I haven't lived there since 2003, so things may have changed a bit, but probably not too much. Why I left: PHX is huge. The big city wore me out. Transportation was a big issue for me. Once, my car broke down for two weeks and I decided to try riding my bike or taking the bus to work. It was a failure. The closer you can live to your job, the better. The entire city is plagued by strip malls and big box stores. The air smells terrible. There is pollution. It is a car city - don't have a car, good luck. I spent most of my weekends and holidays AWAY from Phoenix. Honestly, I don't think anyone actually goes to Phoenix as a tourist, except maybe golfers.

Fast forward to 2007. I moved to Las Cruces to live in a smaller town with the open spaces of the desert southwest. There may be a huge culture shock here to anyone coming from a bigger city. There are many beautiful things about the area, geographically speaking - but the city itself is kind of trashy. The downtown area is completely dead, like a ghost town - I'm not exaggerating. It all depends what you're looking for and what your expectations are. Las Cruces is somewhat divided between the East Mesa master planned golfer communities and the general trailer trash lower income populous, with a small in-between middle class. Walmart is enormously popular here and there is a drunk driving and litter problem. It will benefit you to know a bit of Spanish, as it is widely spoken (but certainly not the main language). I am not fluent in Spanish and have no problems, but knowing the basics of Spanish is a good idea. Living here without a car is quite doable, as I don't drive - but you have to live in the right area. Again, the key is to live close to your job and be lucky enough to walk to a nearby grocery, etc. El Paso is an hour's drive away, but I've had no reason to ever go there except passing through on my way to Mexico for a day trip. Pretty much everything you will need is right here.

Also, you must become familiar with red & green chiles.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Thank you for your very insightful opinion. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Reps!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,401,744 times
Default RE: Phoenix vs Las Cruces/ LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Phoenix is like a Los Angeles in the desert ....a sprawling mess .....and I LIKE L.A. better than Phoenix

Here's a comparsion of climate stats .....
PHOENIX Vs LAS CRUCES
HI LO.......HI LO

104 73 JUN 96 61
106 81 JUL 96 67
104 79 AUG 95 65
98 73 SEPT 91 58
88 61 OCT. 82 48
Phoenix is nice from Oct to May ...but June to Sept is a killer
Not sure where you got those temp stats for Phoenix, but if we could have it ONLY 104 in Phoenix all summer that would be SWEET. 110, 119, 120 is more like it some days. And in the 5 years I've lived here, it hasn't been under 100 degrees until about Nov 1.

Phoenix benefits are: the ability to fly in and out, the health food stores, the multitude of stores with great prices, the vast array and diversity of networking groups (more than 150 at last count), the beautiful Saguaro cactus and the desert at sunset. And, of course, some very cool cowboy bars and dance bands...

The deal is this - if you know what you want, and you know who you'd like to meet, you can probably find all that in Phoenix. The sprawl is kind of a pain, but the freeways are mostly clean and new, the streets are wide, the housing deals are amazing right now, and for the most part, it's a clean city. If traffic is a problem on one road, it's easy to figure out how to get around it. If you don't like a certain area, you can move 20 miles away, still be in Phoenix, and find an area you like.

I think about moving out of here from time to time. But I have a tough time finding a place with all the amenities, including an airport with great schedules and easy parking.

If you come to Phx with an open mind and make an effort to go to many different networking events, you will find your niche and your neighborhood. We deal with the heat the same way the midwest deals with the cold -- we stay in doors during the worst of it, we go from home to car to building. We get up earlier in the summers, take a siesta in the hottest part of the day (4pm) if we can, and we go out at night when it cools down.

With extreme cold you can bundle up. With extreme heat you can strip down to skivvies, or go swimming, or sit in a cool bath, or turn on the misting system. Or deal with it. It's all in what you're used to...

"Life is a runaway train we can't wait to jump on...." Sugarland

Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,401,744 times
Oh -one more thing, fnord made a good point about cars and getting around. Since you left, though, not only has the city gotten bigger (bleah) but they ARE doing something about mass transit. If you go to the Phoenix forum, you can read a little more about the new metro line. Some are complaining about it... but it's not even a month old yet! They are expanding it throughout central Phoenix, and it will help traffic and getting around as they figure it out. The bus system is also getting better.

AND - you don't need to live in ALL of Phoenix. Glendale is a sweet little town with a lot of small town charm, stuck in the middle of the West Valley. I know people who live and work there and never leave Glendale. Same goes for Surprise and Anthem, Cave Creek, etc. The deal is, you can find what you need here. Really the only IF is IF you can handle the heat. Which is OK for a few months, but gets old around Sept 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City