Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 313 51.14%
Tucson 299 48.86%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 43,992 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I normally stay away from such ridiculous threads, but this one is taking the cake! Quite a few people base their choices on the fact their families live nearby. How does that factor into anybody else's potential decision?! In other words, who cares?

For the record, I like visiting cities and many times I have gone specifically to see them and not for any other reason. As much as I'm not really in love with Tucson, Albuquerque would be the only well known place I ever drove by that didn't even tempt me to get off the freeway, even though I was right there and had the time! Comparing the mountains has to be a joke. Albuquerque’s skyline is just as dull as Tucson’s and distastefully lit, if you ask me. All I saw was just another boring suburban sprawl not worth wasting time on. Santa Fe is certainly a nice town and Taos is interesting as well, but other than that NM is just an impoverished and depressing state.
I like the way you took your time to bash Albuquerque, but lets get real here....

Albuquerque's skyline is dull? Ummm did you ever look at Tucson's?
Wow... thats a great laugh. We have much more high-rises than tucson, btw.
At least our night-life in our downtown isnt dead as in Tucson. We are lit up and our downtown is always flowing with people regardless the day of the week.

Our mountains are wayyy better, plus we have a ski area up there.. what does tuscon have?.. cactus haha.. please ok...

You talk about suburban sprawl, did you ever wake up and look at tucson, It copied Albuquerque during the sprawl years of the 1950s-1960s. So yea... dont try to bring a city down with out looking at the one you live in.

Tucson is dead and dry.. honestly, our sprawl is 10 times as better as that of Tucson... we are a progressive city with better government as well.

I mean look at the POLL BUDDY! 100 votes for Albuquerque...

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I like the way you took your time to bash Albuquerque, but lets get real here....

Albuquerque's skyline is dull? Ummm did you ever look at Tucson's?
Wow... thats a great laugh. We have much more high-rises than tucson, btw.
At least our night-life in our downtown isnt dead as in Tucson. We are lit up and our downtown is always flowing with people regardless the day of the week.

Our mountains are wayyy better, plus we have a ski area up there.. what does tuscon have?.. cactus haha.. please ok...

You talk about suburban sprawl, did you ever wake up and look at tucson, It copied Albuquerque during the sprawl years of the 1950s-1960s. So yea... dont try to bring a city down with out looking at the one you live in.

Tucson is dead and dry.. honestly, our sprawl is 10 times as better as that of Tucson... we are a progressive city with better government as well.

I mean look at the POLL BUDDY! 100 votes for Albuquerque...
Quote:
The bashing of Albuquerque from those of Tucson is getting annoying. I had to say something becuase people just cant get over it.

I made it clear, and it was a responce to his.. cause I know he was asking for one.

Although I never said Tucson wasnt a nice place to vist and get off the freeway to visit, unlike Mr. Albuquerque basher over here.
Boohoo. Then what would you call the bashing of Tucson from ABQ posters?? You've had your share of badmouthing Tucson to toot your own horn as well and the responses you've received have been warranted.

Having said that, let's respond to YOUR post now to clear up a few misconceptions:

*Our downtown is a joke? Are we attempting Circus Circus Arizona? No. You have "much more" high-rises? No, not much more.
*Tucson's nightlife is not dead...so let's do a comparison. Because you don't have a light-restriction on your city, the downtown is more alive because of its lights? Have you heard of light pollution? Doesn't sound very progressive. Have you figured out the pedestrian traffic in numbers for BOTH ABQ and Tucson? You would seemingly have less people roaming around at night since your metro also has less people.
*Tucson has FIVE mountain ranges surrounding its valley, and yes you CAN go snow skiing on Mt. Lemmon.
*Tucson sprawl is not much different from ABQ sprawl...let's look in another five years and compare. I see Tucson more centralized and ABQ more sprawled - you'll be following more of Phoenix's model then we will. That's called growth getting out of control, and since you've stated numerous times how fast ABQ is going to grow, get used to it. Do you believe all of the residents of Phoenix wanted the sprawl to get out of control?
*Do you have documentation stating that Tucson followed ABQ's model of sprawl? and ABQ's is 10X better? How?
*I guess Tucson is deader w/ over 150,000 more people. Dry, of course it's the desert.
*People like to throw out that progressive word. How is ABQ more progressive?

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-29-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Bradly, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???
The bashing of Albuquerque from those of Tucson is getting annoying. I had to say something becuase people just cant get over it.

I made it clear, and it was a responce to his.. cause I know he was asking for one.

Although I never said Tucson wasnt a nice place to vist and get off the freeway to visit, unlike Mr. Albuquerque basher over here.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Boohoo. Then what would you call the bashing of Tucson from ABQ posters?? You've had your share of badmouthing Tucson to toot your own horn as well and the responses you've received have been warranted.

Having said that, let's respond to YOUR post now to clear up a few misconceptions:

*Our downtown is a joke? Are we attempting Circus Circus Arizona? No. You have "much more" high-rises? No, not much more.
Not as much bashing is coming from the Albuquerque posters I will say that. Badmouthing I dont seem to think so..

Yes we have tons more, have you compared and viewed the skylines.
Lets just say I have an Urban Planning job very different.

Quote:
*Tucson's nightlife is not dead...so let's do a comparison. Because you don't have a light-restriction on your city, the downtown is more alive because of its lights? Have you heard of light pollution? Doesn't sound very progressive. Have you figured out the pedestrian traffic in numbers for BOTH ABQ and Tucson? You would seemingly have less people roaming around at night since your metro also has less people.

Yes lets do a comparison..And no we dont have a light-restriction in our city it still ranks as one of the cleanest air in the nation top 10 to be exact. Sounds progressive. The pedestrian traffic is heavier in Albuquerque because of more bars and nightclubs, in fact we have concerts and movie events free to the public most days in Civic Plaza which is in Downtown, Thousands of people attend. Downtown to many is the "spot" here.. at night and day the traffic is worse, including motor traffic. I work in downtown at the city hall annex so I can see out the window most of the time. It doesnt matter how many people live in the metro it matters what happens in a downtown, such as events and so on.. things to do. We have movie theaters, convention center, and the transportation station including some of the cities biggest employers. Believe me I have seen Tucsons downtown day and night not like Albuquerques and I'm being honest.

Quote:

*Tucson has FIVE mountain ranges surrounding its valley, and yes you CAN go snow skiing on Mt. Lemmon.

Five oh really? We have 3 but It really doesnt matter its how appealing they are and how high they are. Plus I bet Albuquerque has more Ski Areas and Resorts in a 60 Mile area than Tuscon does. Plus the Sangre de cristo/Rockie mounatin range is quite a sight..

Quote:

*Tucson sprawl is not much different from ABQ sprawl...let's look in another five years and compare. I see Tucson more centralized and ABQ more sprawled - you'll be following more of Phoenix's model then we will. That's called growth getting out of control, and since you've stated numerous times how fast ABQ is going to grow, get used to it. Do you believe all of the residents of Phoenix wanted the sprawl to get out of control?
Actually its not.. You just need to get on google and bing maps..

In five years... yea, Lets see the difference.
I know the way its going to be in five years.. I'm an urban planner so if you ask me, I will give you details all night about it. Centralized? I dont know how you figured that but, you can believe it I guess.

Plus have you seen the plans for Mesa del sol and SunCal, thats the sprawl we are going to see... Its a more urban feeling with more parks and businesses. In the communities. Its actually the largest urban planned community in the united states and is pretty green.. you dont live here or work for the city so how do you know we are going to follow phoenix? are you kidding our mayor is so strict. He wont allow it. Plus he is in for a fourth term so,, yea.

Quote:

*Do you have documentation stating that Tucson followed ABQ's model of sprawl? and ABQ's is 10X better? How?
Nope but there are maps and models to prove it. I mean com'on, both cities boomed in the 1960s?!? hello! Plus Albuquerque doesnt waste water like Tucson does... yikes, pools everywhere.. Not so Progressive for Tuscon.

Quote:

*I guess Tucson is deader w/ over 150,000 more people. Dry, of course it's the desert.

150,000 more, but who could tell? Dead as in no steps to beautify the city.. at least in Albuquerque our xeriscaping makes our city a tad better looking.. Then again Albuquerque is alot greener as in more trees and grass and all..

Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Not as much bashing is coming from the Albuquerque posters I will say that. Badmouthing I dont seem to think so..

Yes we have tons more, have you compared and viewed the skylines.
Lets just say I have an Urban Planning job very different.

Yes lets do a comparison..And no we dont have a light-restriction in our city it still ranks as one of the cleanest air in the nation top 10 to be exact. Sounds progressive. The pedestrian traffic is heavier in Albuquerque because of more bars and nightclubs, in fact we have concerts and movie events free to the public most days in Civic Plaza which is in Downtown, Thousands of people attend. Downtown to many is the "spot" here.. at night and day the traffic is worse, including motor traffic. I work in downtown at the city hall annex so I can see out the window most of the time. It doesnt matter how many people live in the metro it matters what happens in a downtown, such as events and so on.. things to do. We have movie theaters, convention center, and the transportation station including some of the cities biggest employers. Believe me I have seen Tucsons downtown day and night not like Albuquerques and I'm being honest.

Five oh really? We have 3 but It really doesnt matter its how appealing they are and how high they are. Plus I bet Albuquerque has more Ski Areas and Resorts in a 60 Mile area than Tuscon does. Plus the Sangre de cristo/Rockie mounatin range is quite a sight..

Actually its not.. You just need to get on google and bing maps..

In five years... yea, Lets see the difference.
I know the way its going to be in five years.. I'm an urban planner so if you ask me, I will give you details all night about it. Centralized? I dont know how you figured that but, you can believe it I guess.

Plus have you seen the plans for Mesa del sol and SunCal, thats the sprawl we are going to see... Its a more urban feeling with more parks and businesses. In the communities. Its actually the largest urban planned community in the united states and is pretty green.. you dont live here or work for the city so how do you know we are going to follow phoenix? are you kidding our mayor is so strict. He wont allow it. Plus he is in for a fourth term so,, yea.

Nope but there are maps and models to prove it. I mean com'on, both cities boomed in the 1960s?!? hello! Plus Albuquerque doesnt waste water like Tucson does... yikes, pools everywhere.. Not so Progressive for Tuscon.

150,000 more, but who could tell? Dead as in no steps to beautify the city.. at least in Albuquerque our xeriscaping makes our city a tad better looking.. Then again Albuquerque is alot greener as in more trees and grass and all..
Bradly, just please do some research before you post. You've listed some inaccuracies.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Bradly, just please do some research before you post. You've listed some inaccuracies.
No you have.

face it, If you havent been to Albuquerque recently dont bash.. there is no need.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I normally stay away from such ridiculous threads, but this one is taking the cake! Quite a few people base their choices on the fact their families live nearby. How does that factor into anybody else's potential decision?! In other words, who cares?

For the record, I like visiting cities and many times I have gone specifically to see them and not for any other reason. As much as I'm not really in love with Tucson, Albuquerque would be the only well known place I ever drove by that didn't even tempt me to get off the freeway, even though I was right there and had the time! Comparing the mountains has to be a joke. Albuquerque’s skyline is just as dull as Tucson’s and distastefully lit, if you ask me. All I saw was just another boring suburban sprawl not worth wasting time on. Santa Fe is certainly a nice town and Taos is interesting as well, but other than that NM is just an impoverished and depressing state.

I know what you mean by not wanting to get off the freeway to visit ABQ, Tucson is the only Southwest city I have never been to and I dont have any want to go. Why would I want to go explore a city that is similar to the one I come from. Judging from pics ABQ's mountains looks way better.

AZ is just a dump with no class, no character, no charm, crappy scenery(except Flagstaff), no feel of culture, and nothing interesting.

sidewalks and dirt should be AZ's state motto.

and you AZ people might as well donate your state to the North cause they took over. AZ is like a fake cheap Southwestern novelty item a tourist would buy.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM

Tell me about it.. Arizona is like Dubai, 75% of the people that live there werent from there or born there.

People have no class, you can ask anyone on that..
I nominate this: Home of Sprawl, Pools and Dirt.

When Arizona runs out of water they are going to be looking at New Mexico and be jealous.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Tell me about it.. Arizona is like Dubai, 75% of the people that live there werent from there or born there.

People have no class, you can ask anyone on that..
I nominate this: Home of Sprawl, Pools and Dirt.

When Arizona runs out of water they are going to be looking at New Mexico and be jealous.

and if they want to come to New Mexico when their water runs out or they get tired of the heat I hope they backtrack and head off to California cause they all wanna be like Californians anyways, at least New Mexico dont wanna be like anyone else but itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City