U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 297 50.34%
Tucson 293 49.66%
Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,787,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
who frekin cares. small potatoeees. why does abq get so much attention in a forum with so many major cities. weird, stupid and ridiculous. tell me more about abq that makes it so freakin important to other cities that are far more advanced in development etc.

me thinks a few abq homers constantly put abq on the stage....
Albuquerque gets attention, cause of it's historical appeal, it is one of america's fastest growing cities (#5) and well the climate here is way better than in most places. The job and hosuing market are alot better here. It has that southwest feel with a nicer approach to growth... not like Tucson or Phoenix.

Wierd and stupid? well, have you even ever been to Albuquerque?
The developemen here is alot better than in most places.

City population: 529,000 Metro: 890,000

Albuquerque may not be growing as fast as it's new neighbor, Rio Rancho. Approaching 100,000.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,092,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
who frekin cares. small potatoeees. why does abq get so much attention in a forum with so many major cities. weird, stupid and ridiculous. tell me more about abq that makes it so freakin important to other cities that are far more advanced in development etc.

me thinks a few abq homers constantly put abq on the stage....
Albuquerque is a FINE city. Why do you want to put it down? Small potatoes? I'd live in Albuquerque in a heartbeat because it's beautiful and has an absolutely wonderful climate.

The "stage" that some people want to talk about it absolute BS.

The city of ABQ is very desirable and beautiful.

Last edited by buzzpost; 09-07-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,092,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Um, fun.
I'd have FAR more fun in Albuquerque as I am an outdoors person and the climate in Albuquerque is far greater than that of Tucson.

Tucson weather:

Tucson, Arizona (85701) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

ABQ Weather:

Albuquerque, New Mexico (87101) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Notice the LOW temps for this time of the year in ABQ. Those are awesome. And it doesn't get that bone chilling cold in ABQ in the Winter. Nor does it get so in Tucson, which is great.

The scenery in ABQ can be enjoyed without the scorching heat of Tucson in the Summer as well.

Enjoy.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 PM

619 posts, read 1,457,278 times
Whats alburquerque like 5-10 cooler on average. Tucson has mountains too you know. Outdoor activites speaking they are dead tie maybe Tucson imo.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Whats alburquerque like 5-10 cooler on average. Tucson has mountains too you know. Outdoor activites speaking they are dead tie maybe Tucson imo.
The mountains surrounding Tucson (Santa Catalina, Rincon, Tucson, etc...) are MUCH prettier to look at. While the Sandia Mountains near ABQ are technically higher than the Santa Catalina Mountains in Tucson, the elevation of ABQ is 5,312 feet with the highest point of the Sandia Mountains being 10,678 feet. The elevation of Tucson is 2,389 feet with the highest peak of the Santa Catalina Mountains being Mt. Lemmon at 9,157 feet , making it a much prettier contrast.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,235,312 times
I've only been through Albuquerque but never been to Tuscon. Those are some amazing skyline pics of Albuquerque on the 1st page of this thread. I would love to visit both. I have to admit though, I was on my way to Phoenix when I passed through Albuquerque. It seemed like the size of Colorado Springs (land wise) but with a bigger population, better freeway system, and better skyline.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,533,316 times
It's actually amazing how similar the two cities are. Right down to the way the mountains in Tucson turn pink at sunset like they do in Albuquerque. And that underpass in Tucson is the spitting image of our Central Avenue underpass here in dowtown Albuquerque.

As far as skylines go, I have to say I think Albuquerque's is better and prettier. However, Tucson's is distinguished by that close grouping of three tall buildings in the center. I'd love to experience that from street level.

Albuquerque's skyline consists of only one truly tall building in the middle of several lower highrises more or less lined up north to south with no grouping except for the highrises on Gold Avenue at the south end of downtown.

And of course Albuquerque has that unique glow to our skyline at night.

Some may try to knock it as tacky or as 'light pollution', but for anyone to deny its beauty and excitement I think would indicate a sense of jealousy and envy more than anything else.

One must see and actually experience it on one of our clear, crisp nights while driving on I-25 and I think you will truly be enchanted.

(My interest lies in skyscrapers so I hope you all will forgive me for going on about this)

Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Albuquerque looks small, feels small.... yet the population numbers are large!

That and if Albuquerque could annex the smaller sourrounding suburbs/cities we would be past 600,000+
Rio Rancho alone has 95,000 people.... from 52,000 in 2000.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,882 times
Albuquerque is overrated, superficial, crime ridden, small city and really isn't what you see, hear and read. The State of New Mexico has less than 2 million in population, less than half live in the so called (distant and rural) METRO area. The city's archeticture has a large native american/pueblo style which can be at times, boring, dull and drab. Food/culture/shopping can be found, but nothing to brag about. The mountains and desert are probably the best NM has to offer. Tucson would be a better choice. Someone mentioned El Paso a few pages back, on a recent business trip there, noticed how large the city has become, seems way larger then Albuquerque and Tucson also has an interesting unique atmosphere, I enjoyed it.

From Denver, CO

Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM

Well my part of town is not "crime ridden" and you don't even live here so you don't know half of the story.

My hood is pretty crazy dude hahaha, You are wack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City