U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 297 50.34%
Tucson 293 49.66%
Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
 
171 posts, read 264,909 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I would go ABQ without question. Tucson is like a "secondary" city to Phoenix, where ABQ is the main city in NM. The Saguaro desert is pretty and Tucson has warmer winters. But I think ABQ is a city much more "on the move". I like ABQ's access to Santa Fe & Toas, which are world renowned awesome places to get away to. New Mexico also just has a cool, unique funky vibe that I like too. I like the New Mexican culture. They call it the "Land of Enchantment" for a reason
I think Tucson fairs pretty well as a "secondary" city in comparison to ABQ being the "primary" city of its state. As far as ABQ being a city "much more on the move", well...that is just a ridiculous statement. How is it much more on the move than a city/metro that is practically its twin, only larger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM
 
419 posts, read 795,934 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
As far as ABQ being a city "much more on the move", well...that is just a ridiculous statement. How is it much more on the move than a city/metro that is practically its twin, only larger?
Albuquerque is much more on the move

In 2007 it was ranked one of the top fastest growing cities than, and is still.



The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

I don't see Tucson anywhere on that list, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
 
171 posts, read 264,909 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Albuquerque is much more on the move

In 2007 it was ranked one of the top fastest growing cities than, and is still.



The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

I don't see Tucson anywhere on that list, do you?

Haha...by your "criteria", the Omaha MSA (for example) grew more between 2010-1011 than ABQ did. I guess it's on the move more than ABQ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Old Town
1,933 posts, read 3,132,352 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Haha...by your "criteria", the Omaha MSA (for example) grew more between 2010-1011 than ABQ did. I guess it's on the move more than ABQ.

Of course different people will have different ideas what 'much more on the move' entails.

It could be the following for example.

Median Household Income
Tucson $35,565 Albuquerque $44,594

Median Home Value
Tucson $162,400 Albuquerque $189,700

Unemployment March 2012
Tucson 5.8% Albuquerque 6.8%

Population with Bachelors and Masters Degrees
Tucson Bachelor's 22.9% Graduate 9%
Albuquerque Bachelor's 31.8% Graduate 13.4%

Now neither of those will be near the top across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Old Town
1,933 posts, read 3,132,352 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post

Unemployment March 2012
Tucson 5.8% Albuquerque 6.8%
I screwed up the Unemployment Numbers.

Correct Numbers...
Unemployment March 2012
Tucson 8.5% Albuquerque 6.8%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 3,845,986 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Albuquerque is much more on the move

In 2007 it was ranked one of the top fastest growing cities than, and is still.



The fastest growing U.S. cities - Jun. 28, 2007

I don't see Tucson anywhere on that list, do you?
No, but I do see Phoenix, which seems to be the direction some of these Albuquerque posters want to go. Growth for the sake of growth will change your city into something you won't recognize or like. Something Tucson learned watching Phoenix these last 30 years. In fact,30 years ago Phoenix was almost the same population Albuquerque is today. Take a lesson from the Old Pueblo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
 
419 posts, read 795,934 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
No, but I do see Phoenix, which seems to be the direction some of these Albuquerque posters want to go. Growth for the sake of growth will change your city into something you won't recognize or like. Something Tucson learned watching Phoenix these last 30 years. In fact,30 years ago Phoenix was almost the same population Albuquerque is today. Take a lesson from the Old Pueblo.
Albuquerques history is going no where, it has stayed true to it's history and culture and it's roots. What history culture and roots did Phoenix ever have to began with? It's suburban tract sprawl? I gurantee you 30 years from now Albuquerque no matter what will still have the same personality and character , unlike some other cities that never had any personality or character to began with.. Look at a city like Philly, it's became much larger over time, but still sticks to what it's about. Phoenix is simply a city with no charm or character to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
 
171 posts, read 264,909 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Albuquerques history is going no where, it has stayed true to it's history and culture and it's roots. What history culture and roots did Phoenix ever have to began with? It's suburban tract sprawl? I gurantee you 30 years from now Albuquerque no matter what will still have the same personality and character , unlike some other cities that never had any personality or character to began with.. Look at a city like Philly, it's became much larger over time, but still sticks to what it's about. Phoenix is simply a city with no charm or character to begin with.
You are gifted with so many generalizations. Please read the histories of the areas known as Phoenix as well as Tucson:

Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tucson, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
 
419 posts, read 795,934 times
Reputation: 229
Phoenix is a joke when it comes to representing its roots/history/culture, please dont get me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
 
171 posts, read 264,909 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Phoenix is a joke when it comes to representing its roots/history/culture, please dont get me started.
Exactly. Just don't start period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top