Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM

31 posts, read 174,510 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia had the highest number of gang-related homicides in the country (per capita probably) in the 60's and 70's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
Chicago i'd say is the wost, followed by LA and its outskirts/

but also
Sad to say, but my Hometown of Newark, NJ is also gang country (along with its outer cities like Irvington, East Orange, and Orange)
3,600 are confirmed gang members in a city with a population of 280,000

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-05-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyard boy View Post
philadelphia had the highest number of gang-related homicides in the country (per capita probably) in the 60's and 70's
k?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
LA IMHO is still the worst. Then Chicago.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
NY is mostly drug cartels and stuff like that.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
LA seems to be worse than any other place when it comes to gang activity. People get shot their just for wearing the wrong colors or being in the wrong neighborhood.

I live in Memphis, and many people assume that it's as bad as LA, but i dont think so. I've been through very rough areas of the city, but no one ever tried to kill me because I was in their neighborhood, or because I was wearing the wrong color. I went to school with gang members and they were often friends w/ guys from other gangs. Wierd, i know.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
Chicago.
The media just over popularizes L.A.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
LA's murder rate isn't actually that high - it's almost half the rate of Chicago. The LA region has areas with fairly bad gang activity (Compton city, for example), but many of those are outside the city of LA itself.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,332 times
LOL

New York does not have a gang problem? . Most of the gangs died out in the late 90s (the old school ORIGINAL New York City gangs that is) but there are plenty of new and active ones not to mention the drug crews and cartels (non-street gang, gangs).
NYC is home to the largest concentration of bloods in the country however, still NONTHING LIKE the 70s,80s and 90s

Black Spades (inactive) Most members because Zulu Nation later in the 80s. Arguably the toughest gang in 60s and 70s)

Savage Skulls (inactive)

Seven Crowns (inactive...old members still celebrate every year in the summer in Queens. Members of the Infamous "Supreme Team" drug cartel were members of this gang)

Young Lords (inactive/turf - Was Spanish Harlem)

Ghetto Brothers (inactive/turf - South Bronx. Hartford, Conneticut Mayor Eddie Perez was an original member)

Hells Angels (inactive - Now just a motor cycle "gang")

The Flying Dragons (active/Primary Turf - Parts of Chinatown in Manhattan)

The Green Dragons (active/Primary Turf - (Chinatown in Queens)

DDP (Dominicans Don't Play) (active/Primary Turf - Washington Heights and The Bronx)

Los Vatos Locos (active/ Turf - Queens, mainly Elmhurst and Jackson Heights)

Born To Kill (inactive/turf - Chinatown. Stronghold was Canal Street but gang died out in early 92)

Trinatario (ACIVE)/ Primiarily Dominican (are known to recruit South Americans).Turf - Inwood, South Bronx

Nietas (active/turf - All 5 boroughs. They have no natural hierarchy anymore and they operate in smaller sets with there own leadership. They have at
least 50'000 KNOWN members worldwide.
Sex Money Murda (ACTIVE/Primary turf/ Soundview, Bronx). Arguably one of the worst gangs in the history of New York.

Deceptikons (inactive - EVERY highschool had deceps...Come outside and you not connected, you would be washed up. Turf - was mostly Brooklyn specifically Brooklyn Tech and a small part of The Bronx)

Low Lives (inactive - If you had ANYTHING RALPH LAUREN POLO, IT WAS GONE. Turf - Mostly Brooklyn)

5 Percent Nation (of Gods & Earths) - (active) Most of my older cousins and uncles were 5%ers. They weren't a gang but more of an offshoot of the NOI (Nation of Islam). However, members began getting involved in criminal activities in the 80s which cause them to be known as a gang.

Crips (ACTIVE/turf - Various sets in all 5 boroughs, Westchester County and Long Island)

Bloods (ACTIVE/turf - Various sets in all 5 boroughs, Westchester Couty and Long Island strongholds are East Harlem and South Bronx. More Bloods there than ANYWHERE IN THE US)

Mara Salvatrucha 13 (MS 13) (ACTIVE/ Turf - Currently according to NYPD the fastest growing gang in NYC. Strongholds are in Hempstead Long Island (where they first appeared) Queens and a small section in the Bronx)

Almighty Latin King & Queen Nation (ACTIVE/Turf - All 5 boroughs, Westchester County and Long Island. Strongholds in Spanish Harlem, South Bronx and Brooklyn)

I just named the ones people probably heard of but there are 100's more old and new that I could keep going. The gang stituation started to calm down in the late 90s and early 2000's as crime has lowered overall, but now once again gang recruitment is on the rise (membership is higher than ever) and with the current state of the economy it is a receipe for disaster (my biggest fear that I hope does not come true).

Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM

85 posts, read 299,307 times
What about Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City