U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM

379 posts, read 759,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damntinnitus View Post
I never said it did. You misread my post.

I said Vancouver has some of the highest gang activity per capita.

We have a much smaller population than Chicago or LA.
My mistake. Those news stories do paint a bad picture though. Do you have any data by chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,530 times
No, I don't have data on it, it's more of a recent thing, it's only been a major problem for about a year now. Before that the gangs worked under the radar and stayed out of each others business; but now a gang war has obviously broken out, as there seems to be on average maybe a shooting a week (as a guess). There have been a couple really bad shootings, including one group that opened fire in a restaurant in east Vancouver one night. The shootings are all motivated and targeted though (for the most part).

The fact that these gangs are highly organized and Vancouver has a limited police force at the moment to tackle the problem, definitely compounds the problem.

I'm not trying to say that Vancouver is the worst city, but it is definitely a far bigger problem than anyone would ever guess. There are over 100 gangs operating in Vancouver Metro (as an estimate) including such gangs as Hells Angels, United Nations, Independent Soldiers, Big Circle Boys... Apparently the problem to do with shootings lately is due to a lot of new and disorganized gangs getting into the mix. About 10 years ago there were only about 10 gangs or so.

[url]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090217/van_shooting_090218/20090218?hub=TopStories[/url]

Last edited by damntinnitus; 02-18-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM

163 posts, read 302,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRay View Post
So many misinformed people on this thread. I got one word Chicago. Chicago has two times the amount of gang members Los Angeles has. There are 80,000 gang members in the city of Chicago, there are only 38,000 in Los angeles. New york really doesn't have a gang problem, an there nothing like Chicago gangs. Chicago has been gang capital 3 strait years, percentage of homicides gang related. Chicago has by far the most gang activity of any city in United states, not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post

Your very misinformed, LA doesnt have nearly the amount of gang members as Chicago. And NYC, dont get me started on there. New York has fake gangs, dudes in Harlem, Bronx,& Broolyn claim gang hoods in LA and Chicago that most of them have never even been to or met anybody from. Those dudes in NYC who claim Folk, Black P Stone, Blood or Crip, stay in NYC with that because the minute they touch down in LA or Chicago they are "food" as they say on the streets. The gangs of NYC dont get respect anywhere outside of the media and NYC itself.
Both of you guys are very misinformed about Chicago having a higher gang population that Los Angeles

Los Angeles has 120-150,000 gang members within city limits . Chicago has between 80-100,000

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM

210 posts, read 544,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago...sadly to say. You don't really associate CHicago with gangs, but the city has a had a long, long history of gang activity.

Chicago is the only major city in the country that doesn't have Blood and Crips. Why? Because the local gangs wouldn't let them set up shop.

Hopefully this is a problem that can be fixed in the near future.
There are no crips or bloods in the bay area. Norcal yes, the bay no.

To the person who said Northern VA has the most ms-13 members outside LA, That is very unlikely. Outside LA the most Ms-13 are probaly in AZ, Nor Cal, possibly vegas or sumthin.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
There are no crips or bloods in the bay area. Norcal yes, the bay no.

To the person who said Northern VA has the most ms-13 members outside LA, That is very unlikely. Outside LA the most Ms-13 are probaly in AZ, Nor Cal, possibly vegas or sumthin.
MS is everywhere i dont think their as lethal as their LA counterparts . But the LA counterparts have it worse because they have more enemies . I dont think most other places were ready for that type of gang banging thats how MS was able to take certain places by surprise .

Old 05-03-2009, 11:13 PM

210 posts, read 544,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TheCityOfAngeles9 View Post
MS is everywhere
Ya they are. Worlds largest gang they say. To correct what I previously said the most members of MS13 are actually in Central America like EL Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
Ya they are. Worlds largest gang they say. To correct what I previously said the most members of MS13 are actually in Central America like EL Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua.
Yea im not sure if they are the largest gang but MS was originated by Salvadorian immigrants in Los Angeles then went down to central america

Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,191,905 times
Parts of North St. Louis have very violent and frequent gang activity. East St. Louis is pretty bad too. The South and West Sides don't have that much gang activity though.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,203,496 times
chicagoland = most gang activity for metros
cali = most gangs activity in a state.

chicagoland by far has the worst, empasis on LAND because it's not just the city of chicago. from gary in. to aurora to sw. wisconsin to harvey.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,203,496 times
actually I shoudnt by far bc la metro has alot too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City