Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I'm not surprised, Hawaii is a new state. It's not old enough to have that older, more classic style. Alaska's is similarly… boring. Architecturally un-special. But nicer than Hawaii's IMO.

Alaska's:

Interestingly, though, the front entrance does have some character… but as you can see in the first picture, the rest of the building looks like any other office building, at least where I live.

The best, to me, are the ones with the classic Roman architecture (columns notably) and domes. I love US government/State Government buildings because many use that same style. It's very stately and official looking to me. Anything more modern is less appealing IMO.

It's why New Jersey's isn't so bad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 AM

372 posts, read 449,475 times
The old state capitol in Louisiana is really cool. I've been on the inside and its a really beautiful building
https://www.google.com/search?q=loui...84%3B478%3B480

Old 03-22-2015, 09:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
WI's is beautiful, and its setting is magificent. It's on a low hill on a narrow isthmus between two beautiful lakes. It is surrounded by beautiful grounds that themselves are surrounded on all sides by Madison's thriving downtown.
I agree. Wisconsin's is beautiful (Madison.) So is Colorado's (Denver.) California's (Sac.) is especially nice- the grounds around the building are filled with beautiful trees and plantings.

On the other side, I'm no so fond of the modern styled capitol bldgs. like Florida's or North Dakota's.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
U.S. capitol buildings: The 50-state tour | Staying inforumed

These are the nicest in my opinion:
Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Pennsylvania,Washington.

These are the worst in my opinion:
Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Virginia

Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Interesting fact is that architect Elijah E. Myers of Springfield, Illinois, was commissioned to design Michigan's capitol building, and subsequently went on to design two other state capitol buildings, the statehouses of Colorado and Texas, as well as the former territorial capitol building of Idaho, the most by any architect.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
U.S. capitol buildings: The 50-state tour | Staying inforumed

These are the nicest in my opinion:
Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Pennsylvania,Washington.

These are the worst in my opinion:
Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Virginia
Delaware's looks like my high school. Nice for a high school, average for a capitol building.

Also, that is a pretty terrible picture for New Jersey's. Awkward angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City