U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,207,877 times

Advertisements

That is the stupidest characterization of the University of CHicago I've ever read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Harvard and MIT are good schools but almost no smart grad of either place stays in Bos region after graduating....

Smartest MIT-trained engineers migrate to SiliconValley...notice Bos' rather puny tech economy...

Smartest Harvard undergrads (grad students tend to be the slow kids at Harvard) typically (over past 15yrs or so) end up at hedge funds in NYC or SF or LA....and the 40yo billionaire founder of Chic's largest (and only notable) hedge fund is another Harvard undergrad alum

U-Chic is a college for those who couldn't gain admission to a more prestigious, relevant college like Wharton or Harvard or Stanford....produced a few smart financial theoreticians 20-30yrs ago...but hasn't done much in recent decades in generating leading hedgies or tech guys (interesting that B-School is being renamed after Booth, an alum who left Chic some 30yrs ago to start a mutual fund company in LA)

And Nwstn is a joke of a college...sort of like BU/Tufts...expensive private colleges of dubious academic merit or relevance...perhaps useful for dumb kids of semi-affluent who can't afford to write a check to get their kid into a more prestigious college
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,845,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
And Nwstn is a joke of a college...sort of like BU/Tufts...expensive private colleges of dubious academic merit or relevance...perhaps useful for dumb kids of semi-affluent who can't afford to write a check to get their kid into a more prestigious college
And that must be why the Kellogg School of Management is so poorly rated nationally?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,845,822 times
My daddy could beat up your daddy.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM

838 posts, read 2,739,427 times
Yeah, U of C is definitely egoistic. They have been calling their business school as "The Graduate School of Business" until a couple of weeks ago when its renamed after Booth who donated 300 million bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
And one other item that really bites my ba**s: People in Chicago think that the U of Chicago is all that. Now, look, UC and Northwestern are two excellent world class universities. And people at Harvard and MIT are definitely full of themselves. But U Chicago actually goes to the step of claiming Nobel Laureates who have done as much as simply study a semester at UC! I mean, they claim Nobel winners for people who won their prize while at other universities. If you go to the UC website, they claim they have the most Nobel Laureates in the world, yet the Nobel website places them behind Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia.

It's that kind of attitude that bugs me.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 PM

838 posts, read 2,739,427 times
Kellogg School is a great business school, sometimes ranked #1 by some publications. Its quality is unfortunately not matched by its brand equity internationally like Harvard Business School. U of Chicago has the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
And that must be why the Kellogg School of Management is so poorly rated nationally?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times
Yeesh. I don't poke around this forum for a couple of days and this is the sort of mess I come back to?

The asinine initial post made me a little queasy. (The whole "I don't like it. Convince me." seems like exactly the sort of attitude that'll get you punched in the stomach in Chicago... and rightly so.)

Then came some true, TRUE gems in the responses. (Pumpkin pie. Brilliant.)

Just for the sake of putting it out there, my roommate just moved back from Boston. Back to Chicago. Where he prefers to live.

So. You know. I guess things like this ARE a matter of opinion. Whaddya know... Amazing.

(... and not to drag the stupidity of this thread out, I love how the "UofC only gave us a few good economists" post completely ignores that whole "splitting the atom" thing. You know. Fermi? Pile-1? Stagg Field? Nothing?)

Old 11-18-2008, 11:34 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Did they recently put a bunch of computers in a mental institution and direct all the patients to surf over to city-data's Chicago forum or something? Because it sure friggin' seems like it lately.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,633,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
That is the stupidest characterization of the University of CHicago I've ever read.
Consider the source, with this poster, live begins and ends with his precious hedge fund managers, through whom all else is judged.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,024,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
oh, it's just consistent with the rest of his/her insane posts.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,162,597 times
If you love Boston so, stay there. Nobody here will miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City