U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you think is better??
Houston 53 65.43%
Phoenix 28 34.57%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,211,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
If you knew or saw these AZ spots you'd understand. I'm not demeaning Big Bend nor Texas. Big Bend is beautiful but AZ has many more spectacular areas. You remind me of a lady I worked with in Dallas some years ago. I had moved there from Phoenix and had seen almost all of AZ and a little of CA so I knew spectacular scenery when I saw it. I was just telling her about some sites in AZ but she didn't want to hear any of it. "Ah been all the way to Californeeya and Arizona but ah've neva seen anythin' as purdy as Texus." I believe I've just met her son.
So you've formed an opinion about the attitudes of all Texans on one statement by a closed minded chick you worked with 'some years ago'?

I've visited many of the AZ attractions you've mentioned while based in Las Vegas and most are awe inspiring. My opinion reguarding AZ though is; it's a nice place to visit, no way I'd ever choose to live there. My preference are states with vegetation and ample rainfall, not the desert. And I do realize all of AZ is not desert, but the forested regions are not located within large metro areas and you have to dig out of 50-100 inches of snow each winter...no thanks.

There are many Texans loyal to their state; but one could say the same about residents from any state. To each their own.

Back to the topic; Phoenix vs Houston. Houston for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 AM

101 posts, read 265,387 times
Smile These are all great reasons to "VISIT" Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
I shouldn't have to explain this but you and californialove are so uninformed that I'll humble myself anyway. By the way, you didn't hear me knock Texas. I just said that AZ has sites which far surpass any in Texas. That's geography and nothing else.

Grand Canyon
Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon
Flagstaff and the San Francisco Peaks
Organ Pipe National Monument
Saguaro National Forest(?)
All the Anasazi ruins including Canyon de Chelly, Betatikin and Keet Seel
The largest stand of Ponderosa pine forest in the U.S.
All the old mining towns including Jerome, Bisbee, Morenci, Globe-Miami, etc.
Monument Valley
Meteor Crater
4 hrs to Sea of Cortez
Montezuma Monument
Tuzigoot
Verde River Valley
Large Joshua tree forest
Lake Powell
Lake Mead
Lake Havasu, etc., etc.
I would "VISIT" Arizona but would not want to live there? I would rather live in TEXAS.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 PM

514 posts, read 647,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
So you've formed an opinion about the attitudes of all Texans on one statement by a closed minded chick you worked with 'some years ago'?

I've visited many of the AZ attractions you've mentioned while based in Las Vegas and most are awe inspiring. My opinion reguarding AZ though is; it's a nice place to visit, no way I'd ever choose to live there. My preference are states with vegetation and ample rainfall, not the desert. And I do realize all of AZ is not desert, but the forested regions are not located within large metro areas and you have to dig out of 50-100 inches of snow each winter...no thanks.

There are many Texans loyal to their state; but one could say the same about residents from any state. To each their own.

Back to the topic; Phoenix vs Houston. Houston for me.

I didn't make any judgment on all Texans. I was interacting with one, who doesn't know anything about AZ and used an example of a woman in Dallas, who was as clueless as he is. I've also said that most folks don't care for the desert. I am one who does. Phoenix takes a terrible trashing from Texans here and it is undeserved. Part of its appeal is that is in a spectacular or in your words "awe inspiring" state. The poster with whom I was interacting wouldn't agree with you. I don't care where you live. I wouldn't live in Phoenix or any desert again. But I'm not going to trash it either it.(The forest areas are a 90 minutes drive from Phoenix. I was not talking about living there, I was talking about how close they are to Phoenix folks to visit when they want the cool in the summer and the snow in the winter. Where do you folks drive to cool off in the summer and see mountain snow in the winter?)

Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,810,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Were the pics on page 2 supposed to impress me? The only mildly impressive thing was some mountains. Other than that, Houston looks way better... more density, WAY more trees (of all kinds, even palms just like that), water, greenery everywhere, nicer looking downtown....
I wasn't impressed by those pics either. It sure wouldn't entice me to visit. (Truthfully though, Houston's not that pretty when compared to the New England states, or the beaches of Florida, etc.)
I guess compared to Phoenix though, Houston has more to offer.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,061,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I wasn't impressed by those pics either. It sure wouldn't entice me to visit. (Truthfully though, Houston's not that pretty when compared to the New England states, or the beaches of Florida, etc.)
I guess compared to Phoenix though, Houston has more to offer.
Is it that easy to judge a place that you've never even visited?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,757,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Is it that easy to judge a place that you've never even visited?
Been to both. Phoenix sucks and is boring to me and most others.

I like Tucson alot though. Liked U of A, Sabino Canyon, 7 falls, San Xavier mission, Catalena Highway, 4th St, seems pretty nice especially compared to Phoenix

Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 AM

823 posts, read 2,473,655 times
Smile I Lived in Phoenix for 11 years

It is OK to visit for a day or 2 but Phoenix is not a very good place to live.
I moved to Houston. Deffinately even with the humidity Phoenix is WAAAAY!! hotterthan Houston.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,061,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
It is OK to visit for a day or 2 but Phoenix is not a very good place to live.
I moved to Houston. Deffinately even with the humidity Phoenix is WAAAAY!! hotterthan Houston.
I guess I am used to the dry heat. When I lived in Austin, I would frequent Houston on the weekends, and I enjoyed the club scene there (in 90-92) Moderator cut: half of one sentence, see comment.

BTW, have you ever lived in Phoenix? Not quite sure how you know (perhaps you only believe) Phoenix is not a very good place to live...

Last edited by Bo; 02-13-2009 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Self-reference deleted at member's request.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM

160 posts, read 456,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
WHOA WHOA!! I know Houston has some complex issues on here. But dry and dusty is something Houston is not. It is lush, green, humid, rainy, and wet. You maybe thinking of West Texas.
Lush???? I give you the humid, rainy and wet bit, but Lush? I wouldn't go that far. Houston is not exactly a varied, tree thriving, hilly forest with lots of vaired plants, forests, colors during different times a year...etc. That is 'Lush'.

Houston is flat, scrubby and doesn't really have too much variety or natural/scenic beauty. I have never heard anyone refer to Houston as 'lush' with a straight face.

I have heard people say the canyons of West Texas are beautiful....I have heard people say that Phoenix is beautiful, because they are unique...not really my thing, but they are unique and visually interesting....

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,594,237 times
Play nice, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or