U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you think is better??
Houston 53 65.43%
Phoenix 28 34.57%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:05 PM

196 posts, read 556,564 times

Advertisements

Houston, duh.

This is seriously no competition. Houston is arguably the world headquarters of big oil, it is a huge magnet for international studies of medicine (Texas Medical Center), and has way more cultural institutions than the whole state of Arizona combined. I could go on forever about the many advantages Houston has over Phoenix, but I won't.

NOTE: I'm not trying to knock Phoenix or even boost Houston, but Phoenix is totally out of it's league with Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,066,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Houston definitely does not try to be like any other city, nor does it need to be. The restaurant scene here is incredibly good, nightlife is one of our best kept secrets, and the downtown area is anything but dead. Perhaps the fact that we have a tunnel system loaded with restaurants for lunch is why you do not see a NYC type of pedestrian traffic during the day. EVERYONE is underground. World class museums, theatre district, and a very international population that is very well travelled. This is a ridiculous thread, Phoenix should take on San Antonio or maybe Austin, and even then I don't see how Phoenix would win.
That's funny. Austin was a fun place in the early 90's. I've been back several times, and it has grown more in recent years population wise, and I'm very happy to see more high-rise living developing there. Having said that, I do not think it's a better place because of its growth; in my opinion, it has kind of lost a little of its soul. San Antonio is also a fun place, but Phoenix doesn't have to prove anything to these two cities.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM

101 posts, read 265,491 times
Default Houston. WAY!!!! Better than phoenix

I mean ther really is no comparison. Houston wins hands down. If you lined them up side by side Houston would win in almost every category.

What could you say that is better about Phoenix??? Yes it has mountains. Um, it has Scottsdale nearby. And I can't think of anything else.

Here are a couple of videos that will help you make the comparison. One is of Phoenix and one is Houston. You decide.
Phoenix

YouTube - South Side Story: Urban Changes in South Phoenix

Houston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQvk875IZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzHiLvVoaHA

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
I mean ther really is no comparison. Houston wins hands down. If you lined them up side by side Houston would win in almost every category.

What could you say that is better about Phoenix??? Yes it has mountains. Um, it has Scottsdale nearby. And I can't think of anything else.

Here are a couple of videos that will help you make the comparison. One is of Phoenix and one is Houston. You decide.
Phoenix

YouTube - South Side Story: Urban Changes in South Phoenix

Houston

YouTube - CITY OF HOUSTON

YouTube - HOUSTON TEXAS DOWNTOWN
YOU ARE LAME -

Sure Houston wins, if you compare it to SOUTH Phoenix.

The first video was of SOUTH Phoenix.

The second is a promo for the City of Houston Visitors Bureau.

Walk away troll.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Having lived in Texas on two different occasions, I'd have to say that I had many good times, but the problems I've experienced with many Texans is that they don't understand how to compliment other places outside of Texas. It is always a competition for them. Is it too difficult to compliment other places, and still be proud to be where you're from? I guess it is easier to make your case that Texas is the best if you are always trying to put down other places to make your own home look better. I used to try to think differently about Texans, but many posters in this forum reinforce my initial beliefs. That is one reason I will never move back there - a little to elitist for my tastes...and just to clear up another thing Texans, please don't fall into the trap of believing that others who live outside of Texas are simply envious of not being Texan.

Texas, if you want to be so much like California, why don't you just be apathetic about other places instead of constantly trying outdo them...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,879,568 times
If it makes you feel better AZLiam, none of those videos were very good. Even the Houston ones didn't do it justice... the first was just about food and the second was kind of a snore.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,413,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
YOU ARE LAME -

Walk away troll.
I agree with you. Those videos did nothing to showcase the real Houston. Just a glossy misrepresentation of the city.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 AM

101 posts, read 265,491 times
Default O.K. Liam here are some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
YOU ARE LAME -

Walk away troll.
O.K. I will give you that one. Now what will you say about these next VIDS!!! These are from the West side, North side South side East side. They are a realistic view of Phoenix from all over town!! People need to lears the truth about Phoenix. It is a beg Ghetto with the exception of a few areas.
North side

YouTube - Sunnyslope in Phoenix Arizona

West side

YouTube - TISDALE VS MARYVALE2

East side

YouTube - Phoenix Crackhead

You have already seen the south side. This is the real Phoenix. Most of Phoenix is like this. The posters here from Phoenix mostly live in the suburbs or in one of the very few areas of phoenix that is O.K. but the real Phoenix is mostly a HUGE!! ghetto, LOADED with illegals and gangs and drugs and drop houses etc.

When you are in Phoenix you drive down the streets and usually they are blocked off with police tape for an investigation or you can't pass because the police have it blocked off with there lights flashing. You drive a little more and the next intersection is blocked because of an accident.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 PM

559 posts, read 1,282,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
O.K. I will give you that one. Now what will you say about these next VIDS!!! These are from the West side, North side South side East side. They are a realistic view of Phoenix from all over town!! People need to lears the truth about Phoenix. It is a beg Ghetto with the exception of a few areas.
North side

YouTube - Sunnyslope in Phoenix Arizona

West side

YouTube - TISDALE VS MARYVALE2

East side

YouTube - Phoenix Crackhead

You have already seen the south side. This is the real Phoenix. Most of Phoenix is like this. The posters here from Phoenix mostly live in the suburbs or in one of the very few areas of phoenix that is O.K. but the real Phoenix is mostly a HUGE!! ghetto, LOADED with illegals and gangs and drugs and drop houses etc.

When you are in Phoenix you drive down the streets and usually they are blocked off with police tape for an investigation or you can't pass because the police have it blocked off with there lights flashing. You drive a little more and the next intersection is blocked because of an accident.
Are you serious? Have you even been to Phoenix? Anybody can get a video showing the bad part of any city.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 PM

823 posts, read 2,474,858 times
Thumbs down Oh my gosh!!!

Are you serious?? I can't believe that people would actually record that stuff and put it on the internet. Where at in Phoenix was that??

One of the vids looks like it was shot around 28th st and Broadway. That is East Phoenix but it is a little more like Southeast Phoenix. WOW!! that was pretty ghetto alright.

I lived in the Phoenix area for 11 years but I was always like in Surprise or Tempe or far North Phoenix. Man that place must have really gone down hill.

I guess with the economy and all its getting worse. I thought the Sheriff was getting rid of all those illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or