U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northwest vs Midwest
Northwest 40 43.48%
Midwest 52 56.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM

203 posts, read 601,229 times

Advertisements

midwest is boring so id say northwest since it has the ocean,mountains, mild weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,347,163 times
Well, I have a soft spot for the Midwest, particularly Dayton, Ohio, but you are going in the right direction for sure whether you go midwest or northeast. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,023,671 times
Midwest
-
Chicago!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM

188 posts, read 444,496 times
I've lived in the midwest for almost a decade and there is no way on earth you could pay me to go back to that dull, economically decaying region. The midwest simply just bores me to tears. With the exception of Chicago, many of the big cities there still don't do the region any justice. It's quite pitiful really. [/midwest bashing]

Both regions share miserable weather and socially inept people with cliquish personalities (obviously, not everyone is like that, but those are the trends). The tie breaker would be that the midwest is a lot less progressive of the two, and the scenery in the northwest is just unbelievable. So, in that case I would have to go with the northwest.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM

731 posts, read 1,770,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
tri-cities, wa has over 300 days of sunshine, and recieves a little less than 6 inches of rain a year. anddd generally, people who live in the northwest do so by choice as well. we live here because we want to, be the economy, yes, the weather, family ties or whatever.

average rainfall of the year:
MIDWEST:
chicago - 34.7 in
minneapolis - 30.12 in
st. louis - 37.1 in
milwaukee - 34.86 in
NORTHWEST:
seattle - 36.1 in
spokane - 16.9 in
portland - 37.4 in
yakima - 8.28 in
boise - 11.25 in
I've lived in both Chicago and Seattle and I'll tell you flat out that these statistics are misleading. In Chicago, when it rains it's a ****ing production. Thunder, lightning, hard, pounding rain and a lot of it. In Seattle when it rains, it's overcast, gray, and drizzles for 8 hours. In the winter in Seattle, when you get up in the morning- or whenever- you walk outside and touch a railing or something, it's wet. You might think to yourself "I don't remember it raining, why's this wet?" Well, because it's drizzled off and on for the last three months and it the sun comes out only sporadically, so it's never really dried to begin with. Oh, and it drizzled quietly, kinda misting, for 3 hours like it does every other night.

Chicago will drizzle and mist sometimes, too, but much less frequently. When it rains in Chicago, you get a lot of water, but it rains less often. When it rains in Seattle, you get a little water, but it does it all winter.

That said, I don't know how this can even be a question. I'm from Chicago and I love the place, and I'd chose it over Seattle by just a hair. But Northwest vs. Midwest? Northwest and I'm never looking back. I LOOOVE Seattle, Portland is nice, Eugene is beautiful and Vancouver is amazing. If you need to get away, cross the Cascades and get into the 'high desert'. Spokane is beautiful, too, if you need to go that far. I've only been in Idaho once, when I was younger, but the Snake River Valley is also amazing.

I mean, the Midwest has it's parts that are better than Northwest, yes. But it also has a LOT of places that are worse, and I'd rather take my chances in the Northwest. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I'd have to hang out in Astoria? OHHH NOOO.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,225,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
I've lived in the midwest for almost a decade and there is no way on earth you could pay me to go back to that dull, economically decaying region. The midwest simply just bores me to tears. With the exception of Chicago, many of the big cities there still don't do the region any justice. It's quite pitiful really. [/midwest bashing]

Both regions share miserable weather and socially inept people with cliquish personalities (obviously, not everyone is like that, but those are the trends). The tie breaker would be that the midwest is a lot less progressive of the two, and the scenery in the northwest is just unbelievable. So, in that case I would have to go with the northwest.
You weren't bashing just the Midwest but the Northwest too. You recognized it so why did you post this?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM

188 posts, read 425,378 times
Quote:

I question your thought process here. Currently the entire US is in a slump. But this would be like saying texas is just full of cowboys and oil tycoons, and its hot. A fair amount of people that i know, enjoy the snow in the winter, and love the summer here in the midwest. Your not stuck in a constant heat, or a constant cold. Milwaukee, St Louis, are all interesting cities, you might not have advertising shoved down your throat like some place out east. But i enjoy them. Especially the brewers

Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
Quote:
Soooo you prefer TX, its ice storms, hurricanes, record tornadoes, soulless cities (minus San Antonio and Austin), God-awful heat and swampy humidity, nasty bugs, flat-as-flat-can-be landscapes (minus West Texas), etc, etc, etc?

We can rip on regions, too.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 PM

6,360 posts, read 8,553,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
When it rains in Seattle, you get a little water, but it does it all winter. Both regions share miserable weather
February 1-22
Chicago: rain 1.36", snow 4.5". Days with rain 6, sunny and partly days 17, cloudy and mostly cloudy days 5, Average high 35.3, Average low 18.4, Highest 61, lowest -4
Seattle: rain 0.48", snow 0.4". Days with rain 7, sunny and partly cloudy days 12, cloudy and mostly cloudy days 10, Average high 48.6, Average low 34.3, Highest 63, lowest 30

Last edited by Botev1912; 02-24-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 06:14 AM

731 posts, read 1,770,467 times
Yeah, that's a great sample size. 22 days out of either all winter, or all year. Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City