U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 126,178 times
Hi JProg305!
I've lived in Albuquerque for 5 1/2 years and moved to Austin this past March. I am also originally from a large city (Phila, PA) full of all the things you mentioned. I'm also young, married with no kids and well-educated. I love the outdoors and art. So, here's my summary for you:

Albuquerque's weather is awesome! It's very mild, but they do experience some snow. You can trek to the foothills of the Sandias or up to the top and go hiking any time of the year. The city is about 5,000 ft. above sea level, so the sun is very strong. No humidity though. I missed the green and humidity. There is a lot to do in and around ABQ as far as outdoor sports/recreation. The art scene is nice, but a little redundant b/c it's all SW Art - all looks the same. There are great restaurants, awesome museums and a very cool Bio Park (zoo, wildflower park and aquarium). There is a lot of Spanish (Mexican) culture, I think most of the 3 places you are looking at. Also, a lot of Native Americans. The problems that I had were very poor school system (ranked 49th out of 51 states), so the people there were a little "slow" for me. They were nice when you talked to them, but not very educated. The road rage is horrible. They are very bad & defensive drivers and don't like to be honked at. I've had people slam on their brakes or back up into my car because I honked when they cut me off. The drinking is very bad there, too. The gov't is trying to help that situation out, but it doesn't seem to be working. The city did help me to slow down and relax and enjoy life more. There is also a lot of gang activity and revengeful people. I've experienced that first hand. And no, the gangs don't just stick with a certain area of the city - they are everywhere if you look.

Now, for Austin: The only thing I like about it is that there are more green trees, therefore more humidity and most people are intelligent. It's way too hot for me. It was over 100 degrees for about 2 months this summer and we just got winter weather this week (not too late for Christmas!). The music scene is mainly independent artists and you have to go downtown to the bars to experience it. I live in the NW area and the public transportation stinks so we always have to drive downtown. It's not so bad unless there is a UT football game, in which the entire downtown area is closed off and over-run by UT fans. In fact, they close many of the downtown streets for races, runs, etc very often!! I work downtown, so it effects me in a negative way when I have to be at work at a certain time and can't get there becaue there are multiple events going on at the same time. Bad city event planning. The people are rude here. Yes, I lived in Philly and I know about rudeness. I thought they were nice when I first moved here, but I noticed something off about them. Lots of money here; upper class people who seem to be self-absorbed. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor. LOTS of SUV's and pick-ups. Not very eco-friendly here, although they claim they are. They also don't understand what the left, passing lane is either. So, if you drive a little over the speed limit and pass in the left lane, you'll get very impatient. The people here drive UNDER or at the speed limit in the passing lane and refuse to move over when they get a chance. It drives me crazy! Every day!!
There are no good museums nor aquariums and the zoo is a dirt road, crappy little animal rehab place. Horrible culture here! It's all about Texas, Texas, Texas. I can't wait to move away. There are no mtns to hike in, only "greenbelt trails" to walk along (that's not hiking). Other than that, there is nothing to do here besides go downtown, drink and watch an unknown band with all the college students.

I've never been to Denver, but I loved southern CO and the Mtns. We're moving to So. Oregon soon. Good luck with your choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,238,116 times
Hey now.

No need to be calling people "slow."

Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM

5,436 posts, read 6,004,865 times
Quote:
There are no good museums nor aquariums and the zoo is a dirt road, crappy little animal rehab place. Horrible culture here! It's all about Texas, Texas, Texas. I can't wait to move away. There are no mtns to hike in, only "greenbelt trails" to walk along (that's not hiking).
So you didn't go to McKinney Falls or to Hill Country to go hiking? Granted not as close as Sandia, but there are outdoor oriented places to go hiking and mtn. biking. Or were they just to "Flat-lander-ish"? Oh and this is not a criticism of your opinion, but an honest question. Did you ever make it to San Antonio's zoo? I agree with your opinion of Austin's zoo. Peace.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,037,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
Hi JProg305!
II am also originally from a large city (Phila, PA) ............... Yes, I lived in Philly and I know about rudeness.
I lived just outside of Philly in Audubon, NJ before moving to ABQ and found the people of Philly to be very very friendly and not rude at all.

I miss Wawa

Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM

What about Herrs chips... mmmm... ketchup chips!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
What about Herrs chips... mmmm... ketchup chips!
And Italian Deli's
and Tasty Cake's
and Hoagies
and Pat's & Gino's
and South Street
and The Shore
the list goes on and on

Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM

You've lost me... I've only been up that way a few times to visit family in Baltimore.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Tasty Cake's make all kind of cake goodies my favourite being the lemon pie.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM

358 posts, read 678,386 times
First, let me say that I love Philly...it's one of my favorite cities.

Second, when you say "They were nice when you talked to them, but not very educated." I have to say that when I lived in Albuquerque, I was always surprised at how the people there were not what they seemed to be when it came to "educated".

I mean I would meet the most unassuming and "laid back" people, who may have seemed like they never went to college, and find out that they had a Masters degree, or a PhD.

So IMO I don't think that the people of Albuquerque are "not very educated", I just think they don't act uppity and flaunt their education in your face.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,183,731 times
Casden, you're absolutely right on this point. I moved to Abq 5 years ago from Palo Alto, CA. It is sometimes referred to as Shallow Alto..

I put away my Stanford sweatshirts after noticing that nobody --except Lobo fans-- wears college attire here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
So IMO I don't think that the people of Albuquerque are "not very educated", I just think they don't act uppity and flaunt their education in your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City