U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,975,669 times
Reputation: 451

Advertisements

I'm not arguing Houston's neighborhoods being the BH of the south, because I think its a bit lame if theres a contest about which one emulates BH the best, no offense, but i will argue that WHILE there are nicer shopping centers than the River Oaks one, even closeby Highland Village is better, imo, the buck stops there, because a better looking shopping center wont have such a high-class neighborhood so close by. Some will, of course, but just the immediate area is so wealthy, and you can't say that for every better looking shopping center than River Oaks. River Oaks Shopping center is not our best looking shopping area, or even our most high-end shopping center, but its neighborhood that its in is.

 
Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Reputation: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I'm not arguing Houston's neighborhoods being the BH of the south, because I think its a bit lame if theres a contest about which one emulates BH the best, no offense, but i will argue that WHILE there are nicer shopping centers than the River Oaks one, even closeby Highland Village is better, imo, the buck stops there, because a better looking shopping center wont have such a high-class neighborhood so close by. Some will, of course, but just the immediate area is so wealthy, and you can't say that for every better looking shopping center than River Oaks. River Oaks Shopping center is not our best looking shopping area, or even our most high-end shopping center, but its neighborhood that its in is.
I think Highland Park looks great! I agree with you though, this is a pretty lame argument. Why would anyone brake their back trying to look like Beverly Hills? Who cares which one looks like Beverly Hills? Beverly Hills will always be the Beverly Hills. It should be more like, what is the ritziest, most expensive neighborhood that could compete with it because having palms and such doesn't really make a place better.
 
Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,344,284 times
Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You've obviously never seen River Oaks than; this was just a piece of the area.
I do agree with him. I have never been to River Oaks either and would like to see some pics that represent the area. Those posted werent that upscale looking.
 
Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No contest - Palm Beach is easily the Beverly Hills of the "South", and it's in Florida which isn't really "The South" but is only south geographically - their culture and history is heavily Northeastern. Worth Ave., Rodeo Dr., and Fifth Ave. are the only streets of their kind that can compare to each other in the whole nation.
That's because that area of Palm Beach is heavily populated by people from the Northeast. But the area surrounding it is without a doubt Southern.
 
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 PM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,231,246 times
Reputation: 3412
What does Doctor Phillips have for it to be considered in the poll?
 
Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
 
4,570 posts, read 6,545,843 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What does Doctor Phillips have for it to be considered in the poll?
Mall at Millenia??
 
Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do agree with him. I have never been to River Oaks either and would like to see some pics that represent the area. Those posted werent that upscale looking.
I couldn't find many pictures, but you could maybe see some on flickr. Also maybe look up information about it.
 
Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,392 posts, read 10,072,032 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I think Highland Park looks great! I agree with you though, this is a pretty lame argument. Why would anyone brake their back trying to look like Beverly Hills? Who cares which one looks like Beverly Hills? Beverly Hills will always be the Beverly Hills. It should be more like, what is the ritziest, most expensive neighborhood that could compete with it because having palms and such doesn't really make a place better.
When I consider a poll like this, it is not so much trying to find what is the carbon copy of Beverly Hills, but which area has the aura or mystique or feel or better yet reputation as the Beverly Hills of the South. While a Palm Beach might look more like it and have more of the same shops, it is a different breed, a vacation destination first. To me, it is which area carries the overall same reputation and identity, for better or worse, as the Beverly Hills. To me, Atlanta being the defacto capital of the south, its wealthiest area with the toniest shopping is Buckhead. I have seen it in print on more than one occasion refered to as the Beverly Hills of the South.

Let's turn the tables. What areas could be called the Buckhead of the West Coast?
 
Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,975,669 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do agree with him. I have never been to River Oaks either and would like to see some pics that represent the area. Those posted werent that upscale looking.
That shopping center is not representative of Houston's high end area, because its homes the real upscale images.

Here are some homes, the River Oaks Country Club, and some of Allen Parkway's "skyline". I've seen better homes, but these were the only ones i found on Flickr, and i didn't want to look through more than 3 pages.


River Oaks Blvd House on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/telwink/4164773594/ - broken link)

small-frenchhouse-1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neunzehn/21562158/ - broken link)

house on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/telwink/2203432210/ - broken link)

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogtown/2429500950/ - broken link)


Best of 2000 ~ 2010 - Page 2 - SkyscraperPage Forum
 
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Reputation: 4208
IF not Palm Beach then Coral Gables and Bal Harbour.

Palm Beach: worth ave - Google Maps

Coral Gables FL(Miami-Dade County): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...59.922838&z=14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top