U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 PM

21,973 posts, read 30,930,510 times

Advertisements

Agree on the vibe in Miami

Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 AM

14,012 posts, read 22,033,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Yeah I'm familiar with Philly to the T.. But I'm from Miami and some parts of the metro will remind you of LA and Beverly hills..
alot of parts of south florida resemble la to the t. even the ghettos r strikingly similar.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,901,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Yet again something in Charlotte is seriously underrrated or unknown. you guys really need to check out Southpark. and yes Atlanta natives i do think it really competes with Buckhead.
You are def "qc dreamin" if you think that's true.Can you buy a condo/penthouse in Southpark starting at 2 million dollars?You can in Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

Atlanta's Area:
- City 132.4 sq mi (343.0 km2)
- Land 131.8 sq mi (341.2 km2)

Los Angeles' Area:
- City 498.3 sq mi (1,290.6 km2)
- Land 469.1 sq mi (1,214.9 km2)

L.A. obviously has more land to build on in terms of Area. California is a much bigger state than any of the Southern States except Texas, and Nevada, Utah, etc. are larger than the other Southern states, so it's not like they don't have as much land to build on in the West. In fact, the West has more, much more land on which to build than the South.

Desirability is definitely the reason for the high costs of living in L.A. versus Atlanta. Why it's more desirable varies by person, but to a majority of people it's more desirable. Think about it - even with prices not being equal, people choose to live in L.A. and pay much more to do so than people who choose Atlanta. So desirability has everything to do with it.

Quote:
Among the 25 largest metropolitan areas, 18 had more people move out than move in from 2000 to 2004. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago the three biggest metropolitan areas lost the most residents to domestic moves. The New York metropolitan area had a net loss of more than 210,000 residents a year from 2000 to 2004.

18 of Top 25 Cities Losing Population Rapidly : The Real Estate Bloggers
Top 10 Cities For Relocations in the United States : The Real Estate Bloggers
Looks Like more people or DESIRING the South:

Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 AM

631 posts, read 1,053,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are def "qc dreamin" if you think that's true.Can you buy a condo/penthouse in Southpark starting at 2 million dollars?You can in Atlanta.
When I saw that I just laughed and I think thats why it has been ignored..... Southpark Can not compete with Buckhead in any manner. Southpark can just be a section of Buckhead..

Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,691,619 times
Uh yes you can buy condos in SouthPark. And also million dollar houses in SouthPark, Queens, Myers Park, Park Road, Selwyn, Ballantyne, lake Norman, etc... I swear you guys get so offended when Charlotte might actually have something or a little more than Atlanta has. Yes Atlanta is stil the unofficial capital of the south. But that does not mean that the city has everything other southern cities don't.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:52 PM

^^^^^^Never denied there was not wealth in Charlotte.Million dollar house yes.But what about million dollar Condo's
/
I will give you my logical thought process and maybe you can understand why I find your assertions totally inaccurate.
1)The amount of UPSCALE retail dwarfs that of Southpark.Many exclusive shops.
2)The zipcode that Buckhead is in the top 10.No where is Charlotte even close.Nashville(Belle Meade) is actually closer than Southpark.
3)Wika say this;Two of the nation's fourteen Mobil five-star restaurants — Seeger's and The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, can be found here and Robb Report magazine has consistently ranked it one of the nation's "10 Top Affluent Communities" for "the most beautiful mansions, best shopping, and finest restaurants in the Southeastern United State.
just to name a few reasons off the top of my head.So no,dont think im being unfair more than accurate.

Last edited by afonega1; 01-30-2010 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,691,619 times
I undrstand about the zipcode notion. And the great rankings. And by the way Charotte also has a Ritz-carlotn hotel. There are plenty of up-scale shops and stores in Southpark, which includes SouthPark mall, Philips Place, The Shoppes at the Park, etc.... and plenty of upscale dining(no dwarfing). You guys either don't know or seem to forget that 100,000 people live in the Southpark area. Not trying to make this A charlotte vs. Atlanta thing at all. it just seems that people are basing there assessments off what they read instead of actually visiting! Fyi( highrise condos and skyscrapers can not be built in Southpark because of height restrictions imposed by city/faa. In fact no skyscraper or high rise can be built outside off the 277 loop that surrounds downtown Charlotte.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Uh yes you can buy condos in SouthPark. And also million dollar houses in SouthPark, Queens, Myers Park, Park Road, Selwyn, Ballantyne, lake Norman, etc... I swear you guys get so offended when Charlotte might actually have something or a little more than Atlanta has. Yes Atlanta is stil the unofficial capital of the south. But that does not mean that the city has everything other southern cities don't.

No there is nothing southpak can co
Pete with when it comes to Atlanta. There a ton of things I can name that Atlanta has that Charlotte doesn't have.. So please stop while your at it......

U

Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I undrstand about the zipcode notion. And the great rankings. And by the way Charotte also has a Ritz-carlotn hotel. There are plenty of up-scale shops and stores in Southpark, which includes SouthPark mall, Philips Place, The Shoppes at the Park, etc.... and plenty of upscale dining(no dwarfing). You guys either don't know or seem to forget that 100,000 people live in the Southpark area. Not trying to make this A charlotte vs. Atlanta thing at all. it just seems that people are basing there assessments off what they read instead of actually visiting! Fyi( highrise condos and skyscrapers can not be built in Southpark because of height restrictions imposed by city/faa. In fact no skyscraper or high rise can be built outside off the 277 loop that surrounds downtown Charlotte.

No you need to do your research southpark is no where near the size of buckhead nor does it have the population to match . Southpark doesn't have intercontental We have 2 ritz carltons plus ritz carlton residences and a W hotel. Southpark mall can barely compete with lenox. Southpark is loosing 2 notiable stores, Billy Ried and Intermix. It has nothing like phipps plaza.. It doesn't have the mass transit of 4 subway stations In it either.... Now if you wanna talk about the entire city and what Atlanta has over Charlotte this page would overflow so please don't do it to yourself.... Charlotte is 30 years behind
Atlanta... Now let's please get back to the topic.

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-30-2010 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or