U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,868,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Mid-Atlantic Region also includes Pennsylvania and New York as well in some definitions as well. I don't know if you noticed, but your second link proved my point. That's why I asked that question. So no, I'm not arguing with back2dc. Every region has some similarities with each other. But there are far more differences than similarities when it concerns DC today and the Southeast of today including Atlanta.
Did you read both links?Mid Atlantic is the same as the South Atlantic in which D.C. is also.How can you accept one but not the other?Anyway you feel one way,I do another.Lets leave at that.

BTW did you not say this?
Quote:
It's a hybrid of both. You see the southern culture as well as the Northern Culture in DC. You also see it in Maryland as well as NOVA. Which is why the region is called Mid-Atlantic.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/854246-post4.html

Washington DC: Northern City, Southern City, or Somwheres in Between?

Last edited by afonega1; 07-21-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
But it's just a city so why bother trying to upset the apple cart?

What Washington was and what Washington now is in 2010 are two different beasts. Previously, the city was seen (based on Wikipedia and my knowledge of American history), to be a mid-point between the Northern and Southern states during the 1700s.

But centuries later and as all the cities and towns in that region evolve, DC keeps getting closer and closer to its rather close Northern neighbours. I mean that both literally as well as figuratively.

This forum has some very petty arguments, and I hate to see someone like you get drawn into them. I know that you have pride in your city, and I'm sorry to have not found Atlanta to my liking. But I'm not saying that it's a bad place to be. It just wasn't what I expected.

So is this whole Washington debate squashed?
I dont think anyone is saying D.C. is a traditional Southern city.Just like one could look at Charleston or Savannah and immediately think of Philadelphia,Boston of D.C.,there are similarities.For the record Im an American first.I have no allegiance to no particular region.I had often thought of moving to D.C. because in my opinion it feels similar to Atlanta but it is more urban and dense.However the cost does not seem reasonable for what I would gain when I could visit like I do anyway.

Atlanta is a city for practical purposes.Its not Miami,D.C.L.A.,NYC or Chicago.For those who want the lifestyle that those cities afford them to do so,it is simply great.

What you and others refer to as Southern is very outdated.Atlanta has gained 150,000 residents just in the city limits itself in less than 15 years.Things do NOT stay the same.

I have no problem with people not liking Atlanta.My problem is when people make it there "modus operandi" to defile not only the place but also the people who live there,I find it quite frankly odd and the signs of an unbalanced person.(not directed at you).

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

18,230 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did you read both links?Mid Atlantic is the same as the South Atlantic in which D.C. is also.How can you accept one but not the other?Anyway you feel one way,I do another.Lets leave at that.

BTW did you not say this?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/854246-post4.html

Washington DC: Northern City, Southern City, or Somwheres in Between?
Yes, I did say that and I was aware of it. What's your point? That goes in line with what I said in this thread. I said it's not a Southern city but I also wouldn't place it in the North.

Also, yes, I did see both links. Mid-Atlantic is NOT the same thing as South Atlantic. But did you miss this part in your 2nd link?

Quote:
For example, since the 1910 census, the Mid-Atlantic Census Division has included New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, which combined with the New England Division, comprised the Northeast Census Region

Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did say that and I was aware of it. What's your point? That goes in line with what I said in this thread. I said it's not a Southern city but I also wouldn't place it in the North.

Also, yes, I did see both links. Mid-Atlantic is NOT the same thing as South Atlantic. But did you miss this part in your 2nd link?
yes.in 1910?And again..I NEVER SAID IT WAS ALL SOUTHERN!!!I feel like you trying to make me say that.So what are we disagreeing about if you believe that its not a
Quote:
Southern city but I also wouldn't place it in the North.?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM

18,230 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
yes.in 1910?And again..I NEVER SAID IT WAS ALL SOUTHERN!!!I feel like you trying to make me say that.So what are we disagreeing about if you believe that its not a
The fact that some of you are saying that it's a Southern city and it's residents are Southern. BTW, that was since the 1910 census. Meaning that this division and designation still exists today.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM

21,953 posts, read 30,833,628 times
The way I look at it DC is by far the most prominent city in the south

Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The fact that some of you are saying that it's a Southern city and it's residents are Southern. BTW, that was since the 1910 census. Meaning that this division and designation still exists today.
Look Im dealing with you.Im not "SOME" of you,I'm ME!
Regardless of what "this designation is there are other designations as well.You cannot ignore that fact.Can we just agree that their is enough ambiguity that their is room for both?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM

139 posts, read 171,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The way I look at it DC is by far the most prominent city in the south
Brilliant, just brilliant.

Did you not read the last few pages of this thread, mate? We just established that it's NOT in the American South!!! Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, again and again and again!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,635,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Brilliant, just brilliant.

Did you not read the last few pages of this thread, mate? We just established that it's NOT in the American South!!! Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, again and again and again!
Yes, it is.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,875,070 times
I can't believe this thread is still alive. And now the current conversation has nothing to do with the original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or