U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM

20,903 posts, read 32,910,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Beverly Hills has 73 listings currently over $5 million dollars, 38 of them are over $10 million dollars, and the most expensive listing is $60 million.

All of Atlanta (city limits only) has 12 homes over $10 million dollars listed, and there are 67 homes over $5 million dollars.

So Atlanta (including Buckhead), with 500,000 people has less top priced homes than tiny Beverly Hills which has less than 40,000 people???? I think the South can do much better than that. Surely there are other areas where there are more top priced homes where the very wealthy live than Buckhead. I voted for Palm Beach. It is the only area I know of with a comparable number of very expensive homes.
Price is not a valid basis of comparison, since an outhouse would cost seven figures in southern CA.
Also, the population of the Buckhead area is about 70,000. Of that, the mansion district comprises about a fourth. Zip code 30327 within Buckhead would be the most accurate overlay to Beverly Hills.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,383,157 times
Well, Palm Beach and Jupiter Island are ahead of anything else in the South in terms of wealth.

However, there is a problem with them. Many of the wealthy in Buckhead and Houston actually made the money there and live there all the time, like Beverly Hills. Almost all of Palm Beach is full of old money from New York and are winter homes for many. Palm Beach is closer to the Hamptons or Greenwich than it is to Beverly Hills.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,868,241 times
Though it's not technically Uptown...

River Oaks

"River Oaks is Houston's most exclusive neighborhood.... The area boasts of being the wealthiest neighborhood in Texas and has one of the wealthiest zip codes in the country."

Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM

3,206 posts, read 7,822,344 times
Every city has wealthy neighborhoods even Detriot. I think Grosse Point in Detriot is one of the wealthiest in the USA. Shreveport, La, Little Rock and Memphis have very wealthy neighborhoods

Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM

937 posts, read 644,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Every city has wealthy neighborhoods even Detriot. I think Grosse Point in Detriot is one of the wealthiest in the USA. Shreveport, La, Little Rock and Memphis have very wealthy neighborhoods
True, but some cities have more neighborhoods with more wealth.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Houses along Tuxedo Road and many other roads in Buckhead are just as impressive as what you would see in Beverly Hills, minus all those awful Spanish inspired houses that exist out west....blah.
I love the spanish style houses better than these old regular bland brick houses in the piedmont. Spanish style looks exciting.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Well, Palm Beach and Jupiter Island are ahead of anything else in the South in terms of wealth.

However, there is a problem with them. Many of the wealthy in Buckhead and Houston actually made the money there and live there all the time, like Beverly Hills. Almost all of Palm Beach is full of old money from New York and are winter homes for many. Palm Beach is closer to the Hamptons or Greenwich than it is to Beverly Hills.
You have a very good point. But it depends what the OP meant. If your talking about where the people came from and how they made the money than maybe buckhead and houston. But if your talking about general overall wealth and the architecture and settings then I honestly dont think anything comes closer than palm beach, boca raton, star island or any othere wealthy place in south florida, when it comes to beverly hills of the south. I would call buckhead maybe black beverly hills, but star island and wealthy places in palm beach atract stars of all races from will smith, oprah, bill gates, sly stone or any other wealthy person. Especially with the abundance of spanish style homes in south fl, that are somewhat reminiscent of homes you would see in SoCal.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,565,187 times
It's definately Palm Beach. The old money, the new money, Worth Avenue equivalent to Rodeo Drive. Neither has giant megamalls. Buckhead though nice just doesn't have that close nit rich and famous community like Palm Beach or Beverly Hills. Palm Beach has always been compared to Beverly Hills.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's definately Palm Beach. The old money, the new money, Worth Avenue equivalent to Rodeo Drive. Neither has giant megamalls. Buckhead though nice just doesn't have that close nit rich and famous community like Palm Beach or Beverly Hills. Palm Beach has always been compared to Beverly Hills.
Exactly. I agree 100%. Worth Ave being compared to rodeo drive. Its like an eastcoast version of beverly hills. Buckhead is nice and so are the wealthy parts of houston, but lets be serious nothing is more comparable to beverly hills then palm beach.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM

20,903 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You have a very good point. But it depends what the OP meant. If your talking about where the people came from and how they made the money than maybe buckhead and houston. But if your talking about general overall wealth and the architecture and settings then I honestly dont think anything comes closer than palm beach, boca raton, star island or any othere wealthy place in south florida, when it comes to beverly hills of the south. I would call buckhead maybe black beverly hills, but star island and wealthy places in palm beach atract stars of all races from will smith, oprah, bill gates, sly stone or any other wealthy person. Especially with the abundance of spanish style homes in south fl, that are somewhat reminiscent of homes you would see in SoCal.
I wouldn't...a small % of the serious black wealth in Atlanta has settled in Buckhead, but the majority seem to prefer Sandy Springs, Alpharetta and Duluth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or