Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
That's because each individual compound is usually 1000 wooded acres consisting of 10 to 20 castles for international celebrities and royalty. It's very, very hard to get pictures when the castles are miles from the ornate, solid gold gates.
I feel like there is a hint of sarcasm in this post.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I was going to go with all of the Atlantans who post skyline pictures that feature "Buckhead."

Seriously, though, 90% of the images on forums like these are of Buckhead's skyline, not its mansions. Just sayin'....that's the image that is being imprinted on most outsider's minds.
And those be in skyline threads, But at the same time most pictures you see of every city on this site are skylines shots but you don’t think every where looks like New York do you?. but personally I posted several pics of the mansions in Buckhead. I know in several Buckhead vs. threads I have said this. And posters still want to judge Buckhead by how urban it is, when urban isn’t even how Buckhead is marketed. That why I said posters who don't read, or pick and read what they want out of a post.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:

I feel like there is a hint of sarcasm in this post.

What makes you think that? LOL!

I live in Atlanta. While Buckhead is very, very nice indeed I do think other wealthy cities in the South have more panache.

I don't particularly care for the architectural style of Buckhead homes. I find the mansions in Dallas much more attractive.

And I love the architecutural style of Florida homes.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Probably somewhere in South Florida, since its the closest thing to SoCal outside of California. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc all have wealthy neighborhoods but being a Beverly Hills is far more than just a very wealthy neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Do not group Washington DC with Atlanta, South Fla, Texas, Louisiana, and Charlotte. It should be grouped with Philadelphia, NY, Conn, and Boston #thatisall

Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 PM

38 posts, read 53,898 times
HAHAHAHA, nowhere in Atlanta can stack up to Beverly Hills.

Buckhead looks like any sterile upscale Southern neighborhood on steroids. Wal Mart can be built in Buckhead and nothing would seem wrong with it...it would "fit in" while in BH nothing like that could even be imagined!!

There are only a few places in the country that are BH type cities and they're nowhere near ATL.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
What makes you think that? LOL!

I live in Atlanta. While Buckhead is very, very nice indeed I do think other wealthy cities in the South have more panache.

I don't particularly care for the architectural style of Buckhead homes. I find the mansions in Dallas much more attractive.

And I love the architecutural style of Florida homes.
Oh, I got ya. I do think Buckhead is a very nice area, and rather impressive because of its size. I think that there are probably some nicer areas, especially old money, elsewhere in the South...but mainly confined to small burbs or districts.

I agree that the Florida homes have a really attractive architectural element to them. A lot of the new mansions around here are a gaudy blend of architectural styles plopped on lots meant for much smaller houses. There's nothing tasteful about most of them. There are exceptions...but the "common rich" generally have no taste around here -- or at least the builders don't.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousLA View Post
HAHAHAHA, nowhere in Atlanta can stack up to Beverly Hills.

Buckhead looks like any sterile upscale Southern neighborhood on steroids. Wal Mart can be built in Buckhead and nothing would seem wrong with it...it would "fit in" while in BH nothing like that could even be imagined!!

There are only a few places in the country that are BH type cities and they're nowhere near ATL.
Can't speak on ATL, but that type of development can be found all over Texas. Those mansions would fit right in here. Another thing; I don't think any city is striving to be Beverly Hills; Buckhead is it's own thing and making a name for itself. Same with the other hoods mentioned in the polls. You have some of the richest areas located in the south and yes; much wealthier than Beverly Hills.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Do not group Washington DC with Atlanta, South Fla, Texas, Louisiana, and Charlotte. It should be grouped with Philadelphia, NY, Conn, and Boston #thatisall
I agree, we're admitedly NOTHING like you guys up there. I agree with this. DC seems like the odd man out. That's why it doesn't belong on "Which Southern city is the most urban" threads.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:

Oh, I got ya. I do think Buckhead is a very nice area, and rather impressive because of its size. I think that there are probably some nicer areas, especially old money, elsewhere in the South...but mainly confined to small burbs or districts.

I agree that the Florida homes have a really attractive architectural element to them. A lot of the new mansions around here are a gaudy blend of architectural styles plopped on lots meant for much smaller houses. There's nothing tasteful about most of them. There are exceptions...but the "common rich" generally have no taste around here -- or at least the builders don't.

I guess you live in metro Nashville.

I suppose at least some of the Nashville mansions are owned by country music stars or people with connections to country music.

I know Donna Summer lives in Nashville. She's not a country music star, though.

Those country music folks may be rich, but I don't necessarily think they have good taste.

Kenny Rogers is based in Atlanta. He's owned quite a few homes here. He's somewhat like Cher in that he likes to fix homes up and then sell them once the project is completed. And then he moves on to the next project. And then the next project. And then the next project.

His homes on the outside are okay. But I find his interior decorating style gaudy. He loves bold colors and tacky assessories.

I've seen pictures of Rod Stewart's Beverly Hill's home. That home is stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City