U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,471 posts, read 7,287,827 times
Reputation: 2217

Advertisements

I voted Palm Beach, FL as well. Drive along A1A and you'll know what I'm talking about.

 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,987,485 times
Reputation: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Looking it up I guess I'd say Belle Meade, Tennessee and Southlake, Texas. I probably should have voted "other" then.
i think sections of highland/ highland park is much more prestigious and upscale than southlake, in my opinion. belle meade, germantown, arlington, hickory withe in tn are really not in the running. though they are generally well known in the regions, they are just not the communities that would make the top notch cuts. those in rhode island, connecticutt, communities outside of new york city, on long island, etc. i was told that the riches area in the entire state of tn was usually never named---it is located on signal mountain, in chattanooga, tn. live and learn. one last thing, memphis' old, old, monied people live in several sections of the city. often, they are tied in by marriage and direct relations to the old, old, money of atlanta, nashville, and birmingham. goes way back beyond the beginning of the civil war.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,987,485 times
Reputation: 717
...and i think you have to be presbyterian and a former fan of diane bish....and her organ shoes of course.
 
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
 
13,571 posts, read 22,022,427 times
Reputation: 4596
More Buckhead...


Buckhead Coalition

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - 2300 Peachtree Road

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Buckhead Neighborhood Map

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Neighborhoods, residential

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Tuxedo Park


...Enjoy!
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,341,163 times
Reputation: 2010
The residential areas of Buckhead are more similar to Bel Air in California than Beverly Hills. Especially with the lack of sidewalks and such.

The commerical mixed use areas in Buckhead are more like areas in Northern Virginia such as Rosslyn, Tysons Corner and McLean than Beverly Hills.

Buckhead is considered the "Beverly Hills of the South" because it is the highest concentration of high end shopping and housing in the southeast not because it looks like it. Highland Park, Texas and Palm Beach, Fl have the most in common with Beverly Hills.
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,148,922 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The residential areas of Buckhead are more similar to Bel Air in California than Beverly Hills. Especially with the lack of sidewalks and such.

The commerical mixed use areas in Buckhead are more like areas in Northern Virginia such as Rosslyn, Tysons Corner and McLean than Beverly Hills.

Buckhead is considered the "Beverly Hills of the South" because it is the highest concentration of high end shopping and housing in the southeast not because it looks like it. Highland Park, Texas and Palm Beach, Fl have the most in common with Beverly Hills.
This is very true. The lot sizes in Buckhead could hold mutliple average Beverly Hills residences, not to mention the gorgeous tree cover.
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,341,163 times
Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is very true. The lot sizes in Buckhead could hold mutliple average Beverly Hills residences, not to mention the gorgeous tree cover.
Exactly. Driving through Tuxedo Park, etc. in Buckhead feels like driving through Bel Air.
Driving through Highland Park in Dallas feels like driving through Beverly Hills.

I dont personally feel one is better than the other but they are two different places to reference.
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
 
452 posts, read 1,238,885 times
Reputation: 406
Anywhere being compared to Beverly Hills also MUST include a large shopping district. Beverly Hills is a LOT MORE than just a community of mansions. Los Angeles communities like Bel Air or Brentwood are the types of communities just made up of mansion, but don't have a shopping district.

"Rodeo Drive" and the large shopping district that surrounds it of upscale, luxurious, over the top expensive products is part of what makes Beverly Hills so famous. The Beverly Hills of the South must also include an outdoor walkable shopping district to really be the most similar.

So what part of the South looks the most like this:






 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Reputation: 4054
I voted for Palm Beach and Buckhead. Palm Beach is considerably wealthier than Buckhead...but Buckhead is a beautiful urban-neighborhood in a similar style to Beverly Hills, so I couldn't leave it off.
 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Anywhere being compared to Beverly Hills also MUST include a large shopping district. Beverly Hills is a LOT MORE than just a community of mansions. Los Angeles communities like Bel Air or Brentwood are the types of communities just made up of mansion, but don't have a shopping district.

"Rodeo Drive" and the large shopping district that surrounds it of upscale, luxurious, over the top expensive products is part of what makes Beverly Hills so famous. The Beverly Hills of the South must also include an outdoor walkable shopping district to really be the most similar.

So what part of the South looks the most like this:

I would say Palm Beach probably has something similar...that or nearby Jupiter. Though Juper Island is wealthier than Beverly Hills...but that's a whole different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top