Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM

4,418 posts, read 6,230,778 times

Advertisements

The people that are being argumentative to prove that Buckhead is in fact THE Beverly Hills of the South obviously haven't left the Beverly Hills of the South to see that other areas of this country have a lot more in common with Beverly Hills than Buckhead does. There was an article printed up 10-15 years ago that called Buckhead the Beverly Hills of the South and boy those people sure are hangin on to those words. Does anyone notice that Beverly Hills isn't considered "the ...... of the west coast"? It has its own identity. While I have said this before I feel that Highland Park in Texas is the most like Beverly Hills you never hear anyone in Dallas say its the Beverly Hills of Dallas. Its Highland Park. There are some identity issues over there in Georgia.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In case you haven't noticed, 99% of the threads here contain arguments involving cities that most people haven't been to. People use things like pictures and demographics to help make their decisions sometimes...or in most cases, they base their decision on pre-conceived notions about cities (aka: Boston is either a bunch of drunk Irish people or blue-blooded snobs living on Beacon Hill...both are very racist; Houston is all Texans with 10-gallon hats wearing six shooters with enormous belt buckles). I'd try to get used to it.

Palm Beach doesn't have those things?

That's almost a picture-perfect description of Beverly Hill.

I'm assuming you meant to say "appealing" instead of appeasing...but either way, it doesn't matter what appeals to you. This is about which neighborhood is more similar to Beverly Hills...Palm Beach fits that bill more accurately than Buckhead.

Since when did Beverly Hills become a haven for young professionals? The median age of residents there is 41 years old. The average house costs $2.2 million. That doesn't exactly scream "young professional".

You're trying too hard to make Beverly Hills & Buckhead sound similar. It's coming off as desperate in my opinion.

Buckhead is an amazing neighborhood. It's beautiful, offers a great nightlife like you mentioned, and is very wealthy. However it's not on the same level as Beverly Hills or Palm Beach when it comes to extreme wealth. Both BH & PB are often old money, country club crowds. They're filled with elite people of the two largest cities in the country, Los Angeles and New York. They're both in tropical settings...they seem like they're almost interchangeable with one another.
Thats exactly what I've been trying to say, thank you. The only "young professionals" you might find in Palm Beach or Beverly Hills are celebrities, everybody else is usually 40 years or up going to the golf course after a nice swim in the pool. Lol. Not only that but, just comparing how the areas look, theres nothing in this whole country that looks more like Beverly Hills than Palm Beach and I proved that by showing pictures a couple of pages back.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The people that are being argumentative to prove that Buckhead is in fact THE Beverly Hills of the South obviously haven't left the Beverly Hills of the South to see that other areas of this country have a lot more in common with Beverly Hills than Buckhead does. There was an article printed up 10-15 years ago that called Buckhead the Beverly Hills of the South and boy those people sure are hangin on to those words. Does anyone notice that Beverly Hills isn't considered "the ...... of the west coast"? It has its own identity. While I have said this before I feel that Highland Park in Texas is the most like Beverly Hills you never hear anyone in Dallas say its the Beverly Hills of Dallas. Its Highland Park. There are some identity issues over there in Georgia.
Quote:
Buckhead is an amazing neighborhood. It's beautiful, offers a great nightlife like you mentioned, and is very wealthy. However it's not on the same level as Beverly Hills or Palm Beach when it comes to extreme wealth. Both BH & PB are often old money, country club crowds. They're filled with elite people of the two largest cities in the country, Los Angeles and New York. They're both in tropical settings...they seem like they're almost interchangeable with one another.
Everyone pay attention to the straw mans that people accusing me of saying buckhead is like Beverly Hills When I said

Again How are you going to say “Why can't Buckhead be its own animal” than say "Buckhead = Tysons Corner of the South. Again I agree with you about what your saying over the geographic settings of these places to Beverly Hills. And buckhead is not a suburb so Palm Beach would be closer to Beverly Hills. Then Buckhead is larger than Beverly Hills, Palm Beach and Tyson corner Combine. is it's own animal. it’s over 100,000 people in population. to get the ideal

Buckhead neighborhoods

Haynes Manor
Kingswood
Lindbergh / Morosgo
Margaret Mitchell
Mount Paran / Northside
Mount Paran Parkway
North Buckhead
Paces
Peachtree Heights East
Peachtree Heights West
Peachtree Hills
Peachtree Park
Pine Hills
Pleasant Hill
Randall Mill
Ridgedale Park
Springlake
South Tuxedo Park
Tuxedo Park
Underwood Hills
WestPacesFerry/Northside
Westminister / Milmar
West Peachtree Battle
Whitewater Creek
Wildwood
Woodfield
Wyngate

Buckhead is 20 to 30 sq mi
Beverly Hills is 5.7 sq mi
Palm Beach is 3.9 sq mi

The argument that I’m going against is Buckhead “it's not on the same level as Beverly Hills or Palm Beach when it comes to extreme wealth” really? Buckhead is home to the ninth-wealthiest zip code in the nation (30327), and It also a renowned upscale shopping district, but I say Palm beach is closer because it’s small, it’s a suburb, and it’s geography is like Beverly Hills. So just as Tyson corner and buckhead are Apples and Oranges, Beverly Hills and buckhead are Apples and Oranges.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Everyone pay attention to the straw mans that people accusing me of saying buckhead is like Beverly Hills When I said

Again How are you going to say “Why can't Buckhead be its own animal” than say "Buckhead = Tysons Corner of the South. Again I agree with you about what your saying over the geographic settings of these places to Beverly Hills. And buckhead is not a suburb so Palm Beach would be closer to Beverly Hills. Then Buckhead is larger than Beverly Hills, Palm Beach and Tyson corner Combine. is it's own animal. it’s over 100,000 people in population. to get the ideal

Buckhead neighborhoods

Haynes Manor
Kingswood
Lindbergh / Morosgo
Margaret Mitchell
Mount Paran / Northside
Mount Paran Parkway
North Buckhead
Paces
Peachtree Heights East
Peachtree Heights West
Peachtree Hills
Peachtree Park
Pine Hills
Pleasant Hill
Randall Mill
Ridgedale Park
Springlake
South Tuxedo Park
Tuxedo Park
Underwood Hills
WestPacesFerry/Northside
Westminister / Milmar
West Peachtree Battle
Whitewater Creek
Wildwood
Woodfield
Wyngate

Buckhead is 20 to 30 sq mi
Beverly Hills is 5.7 sq mi
Palm Beach is 3.9 sq mi

The argument that I’m going against is Buckhead “it's not on the same level as Beverly Hills or Palm Beach when it comes to extreme wealth” really? Buckhead is home to the ninth-wealthiest zip code in the nation (30327), and It also a renowned upscale shopping district, but I say Palm beach is closer because it’s small, it’s a suburb, and it’s geography is like Beverly Hills. So just as Tyson corner and buckhead are Apples and Oranges, Beverly Hills and buckhead are Apples and Oranges.
Well I agree with you about Buckhead being it's own animal, your right. I don't know about that wealthiest zip codes list though especially according to this site:

100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States
What are the wealthiest cities in the U.S.? The table shows the 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States based on IRS figures for "Salaries and Wages". This table includes only zip codes where more than 1000 returns were filed:

NEW YORK New York 10004 1,336 2,830,671 $2,118,766

WASHINGTON Medina 98039 1,514 827,810 $546,770

CALIFORNIA Los Angeles 90067 3,1411 1,717,098 $546,672

CALIFORNIA Atherton 94027 3,738 2,009,863 $537,684

NEVADA Incline Village 89451 1,362 721,047 $529,403

CALIFORNIA Ross 94957 1,215 560,537 $461,347

FLORIDA Palm Beach 33480 6,564 3,003,143 $457,517

ILLINOIS Chicago 60606 1,064 481,759 $452,781

CONNECTICUT Greenwich 06831 7,465 3,095,629 $414,686

CALIFORNIA San Francisco 94111 2,459 1,004,803 $408,623

Thats just a top 10 to give you an idea...heres the link 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States

Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 PM

72 posts, read 151,171 times
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, 99% of the threads here contain arguments involving cities that most people haven't been to. People use things like pictures and demographics to help make their decisions sometimes...or in most cases, they base their decision on pre-conceived notions about cities (aka: Boston is either a bunch of drunk Irish people or blue-blooded snobs living on Beacon Hill...both are very racist; Houston is all Texans with 10-gallon hats wearing six shooters with enormous belt buckles). I'd try to get used to it.

Palm Beach doesn't have those things?

That's almost a picture-perfect description of Beverly Hill.

I'm assuming you meant to say "appealing" instead of appeasing...but either way, it doesn't matter what appeals to you. This is about which neighborhood is more similar to Beverly Hills...Palm Beach fits that bill more accurately than Buckhead.

Since when did Beverly Hills become a haven for young professionals? The median age of residents there is 41 years old. The average house costs $2.2 million. That doesn't exactly scream "young professional".

You're trying too hard to make Beverly Hills & Buckhead sound similar. It's coming off as desperate in my opinion.

This is my final statement, as some of you PB fans are almost obsessive with a city full of old people(median age of 67). Let's start there: PB median age is 67, while BH median age is 41, and Buckhead's is 33, so yes, both BH and Buckhead allow for a Yuppie crowd as I stated earlier. If PB is so much like BH, tell me why BH only has 17% of people that are over 65, as opposed to the 55% that are 65 or older in PB? Also, the political makeup in BH and Buckhead is mostly liberal and democratic, while PB has a heavy conservative republican makeup. Both BH and Buckhead have several main thoroughfares that pass through the areas; BH has the boulevards of wilshire, santa monica, and sunset, while Buckhead has peachtree, piedmont, roswell, and paces ferry roads. Both BH and Buckhead also offer several different diverse neighborhoods and different zip codes. It was also mentioned that PB is filled with many elite people from NY; while many wealthy people from the NorthEast have homes there, PB only has a year round population of about 10, 500, and a seasonal population of about 30,000 BH and Buckhead have numbers larger than those on a year round basis. I agree that Palm Beach is a very affluent area, but countless sources, websites, and individuals know that Buckhead is officially dubbed as the BH of the south. This is mostly due to facts such as Buckhead having many posh hotels, 5 star dining establishments, elite business district, and large entertainment sector, and most notibly the largest concentration of upscale boutiques in the U.S, and brings in over 1 BILLION in retail sales every year. I have never heard that PB brings in anywhere near that much, and what is there to do in PB anyway besides go to a country club event? After talking with someone who has lived in PB that now lives in Atlanta(how ironic) says that while PB is nice, she thinks that Boca Raton, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale are nicer areas. Last but not least, I want to set the record straight that most of the celebrities in Buckhead are not black, which it should not matter if they were. I don't think that Elton John, Nancy Grace, Kenny Rogers, etc are black. If people would do their homework, they would know that most black celebrities live in secure gated enclaves(mostly country clubs) in Alpharetta or Duluth. Most of Buckhead's black residents is old money, or yuppies buying the new high rise condos. I guess PB people should stray away from a town that housed Bernie Madoff(largest wall street crook in history) and Rush Limbaugh(racist idiot) and explore other areas before criticizing them. One one more note, did you know that an African American gave Beverly Hills it's legacy? I bet you did not. PB beautiful, but you never really hear anything about it because, well, it is pretty boring; just a city with water, country clubs, and expensive real-estate, oh yeah and very old people.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboi View Post
This is my final statement, as some of you PB fans are almost obsessive with a city full of old people(median age of 67). Let's start there: PB median age is 67, while BH median age is 41, and Buckhead's is 33, so yes, both BH and Buckhead allow for a Yuppie crowd as I stated earlier. If PB is so much like BH, tell me why BH only has 17% of people that are over 65, as opposed to the 55% that are 65 or older in PB? Also, the political makeup in BH and Buckhead is mostly liberal and democratic, while PB has a heavy conservative republican makeup. Both BH and Buckhead have several main thoroughfares that pass through the areas; BH has the boulevards of wilshire, santa monica, and sunset, while Buckhead has peachtree, piedmont, roswell, and paces ferry roads. Both BH and Buckhead also offer several different diverse neighborhoods and different zip codes. It was also mentioned that PB is filled with many elite people from NY; while many wealthy people from the NorthEast have homes there, PB only has a year round population of about 10, 500, and a seasonal population of about 30,000 BH and Buckhead have numbers larger than those on a year round basis. I agree that Palm Beach is a very affluent area, but countless sources, websites, and individuals know that Buckhead is officially dubbed as the BH of the south. This is mostly due to facts such as Buckhead having many posh hotels, 5 star dining establishments, elite business district, and large entertainment sector, and most notibly the largest concentration of upscale boutiques in the U.S, and brings in over 1 BILLION in retail sales every year. I have never heard that PB brings in anywhere near that much, and what is there to do in PB anyway besides go to a country club event? After talking with someone who has lived in PB that now lives in Atlanta(how ironic) says that while PB is nice, she thinks that Boca Raton, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale are nicer areas. Last but not least, I want to set the record straight that most of the celebrities in Buckhead are not black, which it should not matter if they were. I don't think that Elton John, Nancy Grace, Kenny Rogers, etc are black. If people would do their homework, they would know that most black celebrities live in secure gated enclaves(mostly country clubs) in Alpharetta or Duluth. Most of Buckhead's black residents is old money, or yuppies buying the new high rise condos. I guess PB people should stray away from a town that housed Bernie Madoff(largest wall street crook in history) and Rush Limbaugh(racist idiot) and explore other areas before criticizing them. One one more note, did you know that an African American gave Beverly Hills it's legacy? I bet you did not. PB beautiful, but you never really hear anything about it because, well, it is pretty boring; just a city with water, country clubs, and expensive real-estate, oh yeah and very old people.
Well, game set and match. Buck Head is the Beverly Hills of the South. Palm Beach YOU FAIL!!

Last edited by polo89; 05-19-2010 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Well, he sure made his point lol, but everybody else did too. I wouldn't say Palm Beach is "heavily conservative" though seeing as there are a lot of ex-New Yorkers living there. I can respect hotboi's opinion though. This is getting stupid anyway. Hopefully one day other places will start calling themselves "the Buckhead of _____" or "the Palm Beach of ____" instead of always trying to be like LA. I think Palm Beach is a beautiful area and I would compare it to Beverly Hills, but the person you talked to may have a point, there are a lot nicer areas with more things to do in South Florida than just PB.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
well............

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Well I agree with you about Buckhead being it's own animal, your right. I don't know about that wealthiest zip codes list though especially according to this site:

100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States
What are the wealthiest cities in the U.S.? The table shows the 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States based on IRS figures for "Salaries and Wages". This table includes only zip codes where more than 1000 returns were filed:

NEW YORK New York 10004 1,336 2,830,671 $2,118,766

WASHINGTON Medina 98039 1,514 827,810 $546,770

CALIFORNIA Los Angeles 90067 3,1411 1,717,098 $546,672

CALIFORNIA Atherton 94027 3,738 2,009,863 $537,684

NEVADA Incline Village 89451 1,362 721,047 $529,403

CALIFORNIA Ross 94957 1,215 560,537 $461,347

FLORIDA Palm Beach 33480 6,564 3,003,143 $457,517

ILLINOIS Chicago 60606 1,064 481,759 $452,781

CONNECTICUT Greenwich 06831 7,465 3,095,629 $414,686

CALIFORNIA San Francisco 94111 2,459 1,004,803 $408,623

Thats just a top 10 to give you an idea...heres the link 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States
LMAO

What are the wealthiest cities in the U.S.? The table shows the 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States based on IRS figures for Adjusted Gross Income. This table includes only zip codes where more than 10,000 returns were filed. LMAO

CONNECTICUT Greenwich 06830 12,515 3,372,995 $269,516 9,000 1,859,282 $206,587

CALIFORNIA Beverly Hills 90210 10,480 3,162,173 $301,734 6,371 1,232,310 $193,425

ILLINOIS Lake Forest 60045 10,185 2,802,054 $275,116 7,012 1,339,447 $191,022

CONNECTICUT Westport 06880 13,278 2,720,166 $204,863 9,218 1,653,908 $179,422

NEW YORK New York 10022 21,670 5,469,333 $252,392 15,627 2,726,763 $174,490

ILLINOIS Winnetka 60093 10,517 3,129,300 $297,547 7,106 1,236,715 $174,038

NEW JERSEY Summit 07901 10,756 1,977,789 $183,878 8,226 1,334,096 $162,180

GEORGIA Atlanta 30327 11,481 2,702,336 $235,375 7,772 1,234,491 $158,838

TEXAS Austin 78746 12,215 2,452,417 $200,771 9,212 1,441,032 $156,430

Thats just a top 10 to give you an idea...heres the link 100 richest zip codes in the United States

Just type ninth wealthiest zip code you would see 30327 buckhead

Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Well, he sure made his point lol, but everybody else did too. I wouldn't say Palm Beach is "heavily conservative" though seeing as there are a lot of ex-New Yorkers living there. I can respect hotboi's opinion though. This is getting stupid anyway. Hopefully one day other places will start calling themselves "the Buckhead of _____" or "the Palm Beach of ____" instead of always trying to be like LA. I think Palm Beach is a beautiful area and I would compare it to Beverly Hills, but the person you talked to may have a point, there are a lot nicer areas with more things to do in South Florida than just PB.
Yes every place is it's own Animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City