U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best rust belt city?
Detroit 2 3.13%
Pittsburgh 19 29.69%
Chicago 22 34.38%
Indianapolis 3 4.69%
Cleveland 6 9.38%
Columbus 1 1.56%
Cincinnati 2 3.13%
Scranton 4 6.25%
None of the above 2 3.13%
Other 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 PM

5,641 posts, read 13,596,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chicago is a rust-belt city that simply managed to fare better than other rust-belt cities due to the diversity of its economy. But Chicago got hit pretty hard by the decline in manufacturing just as any other rust-belt city did. (One of its most prominent suburbs -- Gary -- got hit hard enough to become a mini-Detroit.) Anyone who lived here from the late 70s through the end of the 80s knows how close Chicago was to the brink. Thankfully we had already-established service sectors to see us through those tough times, but there was a time a couple decades ago when it appeared Chicago might be left for dead.
Thanks, Drover, I was going to speak up, but you said it for me. Using the criteria of the other posters, in a few short years Pittsburgh won't be considered rust belt either.

I think of the rust belt as the area of the country that was the most heavily industrialized when the US was an industrial powerhouse. The fact that a city like Chicago managed to transform itself into a thriving post-industrial economy doesn't erase its rust-belt heritage. (If you don't think Chi has a Rust Blet heritage, take any Metra train heading out of downtown in any direction and count how many abandoned, dilapidated factories you see!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Thanks, Drover, I was going to speak up, but you said it for me. Using the criteria of the other posters, in a few short years Pittsburgh won't be considered rust belt either.

I think of the rust belt as the area of the country that was the most heavily industrialized when the US was an industrial powerhouse. The fact that a city like Chicago managed to transform itself into a thriving post-industrial economy doesn't erase its rust-belt heritage. (If you don't think Chi has a Rust Blet heritage, take any Metra train heading out of downtown in any direction and count how many abandoned, dilapidated factories you see!)
chicago isn't part of the rustbelt, because at the induction of de-industrialization (50's-60's), chicago's economy was far more diversified, partially because of its size (philadelphia), and partially due to daley's ideal of "utilizing resources". cities largely dependent on manufacturing and a fight-or-flight economy with a weak government qualify for the rust belt. cincinnati weathered the situation a little better due to its history as a hub city with its hands in a bunch of cookie jars, whereas turn of the century booms like cleveland and detroit just couldn't see past the quick payday. cities like cincinnati and baltimore endured their heaviest decline due to the their waterways becoming less useful for transporting and receiving (obsolete in cincinnati). daley believed in "the neighborhood" as an ideal/appeal/capital investment and he believed in the lake. chicago's economic policy was very much prepared for enormous job losses in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by hillside; 11-23-2008 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,943,900 times
Pittsburg.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

Or better yet, just take the Orange Line down to Midway.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:08 AM

3,321 posts, read 9,339,265 times
Pittsburgh has an H at the end

Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM

327 posts, read 928,813 times
i wonder what the chicago voters would have voted for if chicago was not on the list...anybody??

Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,537 times
^we should make a poll and find out!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,606,862 times
I would vote other, specifically because you left two important Rust Belt cities off this list...Milwaukee and St. Louis. The Twin Cities and Kansas City technically qualify as well. Indianapolis and Chicago are really not Rust Belt cities even though they geographically lie between many rust belt cities. They never declined like the others you mentioned did.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,063,561 times
COLUMBUS is not a rust belt city. It might be in "rust belt" region, but Columbus is as rust belt as Charlotte or Austin.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
chicago isn't part of the rustbelt, because at the induction of de-industrialization (50's-60's), chicago's economy was far more diversified, partially because of its size (philadelphia), and partially due to daley's ideal of "utilizing resources". cities largely dependent on manufacturing and a fight-or-flight economy with a weak government qualify for the rust belt. cincinnati weathered the situation a little better due to its history as a hub city with its hands in a bunch of cookie jars, whereas turn of the century booms like cleveland and detroit just couldn't see past the quick payday. cities like cincinnati and baltimore endured their heaviest decline due to the their waterways becoming less useful for transporting and receiving (obsolete in cincinnati). daley believed in "the neighborhood" as an ideal/appeal/capital investment and he believed in the lake. chicago's economic policy was very much prepared for enormous job losses in the 70's and 80's.
I agree. Just because people see abandoned buildings in crappy neighborhoods doesnt make it "rust belt" per se. I could drive through L.A. and point out delapidated, old abandoned warehouses too. Does that make L.A. "rustbelt"? Yes, there are many hard-hit old 'hoods in Chicago, lots of abandoned old factories, too, no doubt. But the city is ultra-successful, erasing hard times and pushing on to be a Alpha class world city, one of the top financial cities in the world, a major tourist destination, world class museums and restaurants. Chicago fell on hard times for awhile, indeed. But then again so has every other major city in the nation at one time or another. CHICAGO IS NOT RUSTBELT! End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City