Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best rust belt city?
Detroit 2 3.13%
Pittsburgh 19 29.69%
Chicago 22 34.38%
Indianapolis 3 4.69%
Cleveland 6 9.38%
Columbus 1 1.56%
Cincinnati 2 3.13%
Scranton 4 6.25%
None of the above 2 3.13%
Other 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM

85 posts, read 108,662 times

Advertisements

Chicago is NOT a rust belt city! Why is it in the poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
I was thinking when population declines in core cities are mentioned, isn't it often amplified by the fact the average houshold size declined as well? The total number of households didn't change as much as total number of people.

It looks like in terms of the Rust Belt, that cities on the edge of it are doing much better than the core. Also there are some cities that went through a similar phase that are nowhere near the Rust Belt or even the Midwest. Birmingham, Alabama is a good example of a Rust-Belt type city not in the Midwest.

St. Louis is a strange city to discuss for purposes of this list. It has behaved like a Rust Belt city but is disconnected from the region by distance to it. There also is the issue of a small confined city limits of its core city that tends to distort numbers as well. The city hit a recovery point around 2000 and looks to start hitting a stride in the coming years. I was wondering is there any Rust-Belt cities behaving like St. Louis now which is actually having the percentage of whites in the city increase?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Chicago is definitely a Rust Belt city. Why are you guys are having such a difficult time understanding this concept? It's already been thoroughly explained.

What I can't figure out why Indianapolis and Columbus are part of this poll in the first place? Additionally, I can't help but notice that 2 classic Rust Belt cities, Milwaukee and Buffalo, are strangely absent from this poll. I could even see Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis, and possibly even St. Paul being included on here before Indianapolis or Columbus.

And if you're going to include small cities like Scranton, then you need to include places like Syracuse, Rochester, Erie, Youngstown, Toledo, Flint, Gary, Hammond, Racine, Green Bay, Duluth, etc.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Chicago is definitely a Rust Belt city. Why are you guys are having such a difficult time understanding this concept? It's already been thoroughly explained.

What I can't figure out why Indianapolis and Columbus are part of this poll in the first place? Additionally, I can't help but notice that 2 classic Rust Belt cities, Milwaukee and Buffalo, are strangely absent from this poll. I could even see Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis, and possibly even St. Paul being included on here before Indianapolis or Columbus.

And if you're going to include small cities like Scranton, then you need to include places like Syracuse, Rochester, Erie, Youngstown, Toledo, Flint, Gary, Hammond, Racine, Green Bay, Duluth, etc.
No, Chicago isn't a rust belt city.You would know that if you would have been to Chicago.Chicago is gentrifing and booming.That could of been back in the 1890s but not today.Today Chicago is a Gobal World Afla City(only two in America,the other one is New York) ,it's a major global economic center, it's the 5th most economically powerful city in the world.It invented the skyscraper,ferris wheel,etc. It has the world's tallest skyline when measuring the 10 tallest completed buildings in the world,etc. Chicago is all about business,money,and gentrification.You would know that if you'd been to Chicago.Chicago is far from a rust belt city.You better go do some research on Chicago.So is NYC a rust belt city too? The rest belt streaches from the north east to the mid-west.Some cities are beyond the 1900s rust belt era and some today are still rust belts.Chicago is NOT one! Burgh gets my vote.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I was wondering is there any Rust-Belt cities behaving like St. Louis now which is actually having the percentage of whites in the city increase?
Yes, Chicago has had alot of rich white hipsters/yuppies moving in, in the last couple of years. And not all of them are American ethier.Some are coming from europe from places like poland,russia, germany, holland, czech republic, the ukrian, ireland, france, serbia, greece,italy, bulgarians,romianians,etc......So you'll bump into white ppl that just moved here from europe speaking their native language.And Chicago is being gentrified, the city has knocked down some of its slums/ghettos and buildt fancy condos. A starbucks in your hood is the 1st sign that your "hood" is next to be yuppified, lol if that's even a word.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
No, Chicago isn't a rust belt city.You would know that if you would have been to Chicago.Chicago is gentrifing and booming.That could of been back in the 1890s but not today.Today Chicago is a Gobal World Afla City(only two in America,the other one is New York) ,it's a major global economic center, it's the 5th most economically powerful city in the world.It invented the skyscraper,ferris wheel,etc. It has the world's tallest skyline when measuring the 10 tallest completed buildings in the world,etc. Chicago is all about business,money,and gentrification.You would know that if you'd been to Chicago.Chicago is far from a rust belt city.You better go do some research on Chicago.So is NYC a rust belt city too? The rest belt streaches from the north east to the mid-west.Some cities are beyond the 1900s rust belt era and some today are still rust belts.Chicago is NOT one! Burgh gets my vote.
LOL. Right, like I've never been to Chicago. You sound like you're the one who's never left your little West Side neighborhood before. I guess all those abandoned steel mills near the IL/IN border must be props for a movie or something.

FYI, pretty much every city in the entire U.S. is experiencing gentrification to a degree, as millennials are opting to live in more walkable and vibrant urban centers vs. sleepy suburban and exurban sprawl. In fact, other Rust Belt alumni like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee have been working to revitalize their cities for years.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Yes, Chicago has had alot of rich white hipsters/yuppies moving in, in the last couple of years. And not all of them are American ethier.Some are coming from europe from places like poland,russia, germany, holland, czech republic, the ukrian, ireland, france, serbia, greece,italy, bulgarians,romianians,etc......So you'll bump into white ppl that just moved here from europe speaking their native language.And Chicago is being gentrified, the city has knocked down some of its slums/ghettos and buildt fancy condos. A starbucks in your hood is the 1st sign that your "hood" is next to be yuppified, lol if that's even a word.
I am curious if it has affected overall percentages of population by race? I did see a survey of cities that a pattern developing is the reversal of white flight which is often seen as a revitilization sign. In St. Louis it isn't white immigrants that are doing this much, the only significant group that applies are Bosnians but they arrived in the 1990's before the turnaround.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL. Right, like I've never been to Chicago. You sound like you're the one who's never left your little West Side neighborhood before. I guess all those abandoned steel mills near the IL/IN border must be props for a movie or something.

FYI, pretty much every city in the entire U.S. is experiencing gentrification to a degree, as millennials are opting to live in more walkable and vibrant urban centers vs. sleepy suburban and exurban sprawl. In fact, other Rust Belt alumni like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee have been working to revitalize their cities for years.
Even Humboldt Park is being gentrified.Yes people are looking for more of a urban city with a vibrant core and that is Chicago. Chicago is the biggest city your going to find in America outside of NY.Chicago makes LA look like a suburb.Chicago is way more crowded, even as crowded as some of NY neighorhoods.

Chicago has about 3 million people(not including about 450,000 illegal immigrants that live within the city limits) living on only 227 square miles.

LA has 3.8 million on 498 square miles.Litterally two cities of Chicago fit inside of LA's city limits.

Sleepy suburban spawl?....No! lol and Chicago doesn't work to revitalize itself.It actually gets things done.It comes in with a wrecking ball and knocks the slums down and builds the next vibrant upcoming neighborhood. And Humboldt Park is small? A density of about 30,000 people per square mile seems small to you?. In other words its more crowded then NYC and the boroughs of Queens and Staten Island.

YouTube - Chicago Traffic

YouTube - Chicago Downtown Street Walking

^Chicago is far from a quiet sleepy suburban rust belt town. Yea, you haven't been to Chicago.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I am curious if it has affected overall percentages of population by race? I did see a survey of cities that a pattern developing is the reversal of white flight which is often seen as a revitilization sign. In St. Louis it isn't white immigrants that are doing this much, the only significant group that applies are Bosnians but they arrived in the 1990's before the turnaround.
It might at least in Chicago the black community has dropped in the last years.Chicago has or had the 2nd largest african american population in America after NYC, but i've heard new reports that put Atlanta in 2nd place and Chicago in 3rd. But it's hard to believe that becuase Atlanta only has 500,000 people livng in all of that city while Chicago has about 1 million African Americans and that's not counting Hispanics,Whites, and Asians.

This is according to 2000 Census Data
Chicago Demographics
White-41.97%
Black-36.77%
Hispanic/Latino-26.02%
Asian-4.35%

Chicago acouple years ago was pretty segregated but acouple years ago it's been getting more intergrated.People from different races/nationalitys are chosing to live together.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Even Humboldt Park is being gentrified.Yes people are looking for more of a urban city with a vibrant core and that is Chicago. Chicago is the biggest city your going to find in America outside of NY.Chicago makes LA look like a suburb.Chicago is way more crowded, even as crowded as some of NY neighorhoods.

Chicago has about 3 million people(not including about 450,000 illegal immigrants that live within the city limits) living on only 227 square miles.

LA has 3.8 million on 498 square miles.Litterally two cities of Chicago fit inside of LA's city limits.
Are you insane?

Nothing in this post comes even remotely close to addressing any of the points I raised. When did NYC and LA become part of this discussion? What does population have to do with anything? Can you please show me where I said Chicago was sleepy? I'm so confused right now.

My whole point was to say that just because a city isn't a decaying hellhole like Detroit or Gary, doesn't exclude it from being labeled a Rust Belt city. Chicago has a similar history related to heavy industry as well as other characteristics, such as demographics, which are shared by the cities in the Rust Belt (heavily Catholic and Jewish, large Black populations, remnants of ethnic European neighborhoods, etc).

Quote:
Sleepy suburban spawl?....No! lol and Chicago doesn't work to revitalize itself.It actually gets things done.It comes in with a wrecking ball and knocks the slums down and builds the next vibrant upcoming neighborhood. And Humboldt Park is small? A density of about 30,000 people per square mile seems small to you?. In other words its more crowded then NYC and the boroughs of Queens and Staten Island.

YouTube - Chicago Traffic

YouTube - Chicago Downtown Street Walking

^Chicago is far from a quiet sleepy suburban rust belt town. Yea, you haven't been to Chicago.
Not surprisingly, you don't understand the concept of population density either.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guttenburg, NJ has a population of 10,807 residents residing within 0.19 square miles, giving them a population density of 56,012 people per square mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City