U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best beaches??
Florida 48 30.77%
Hawaii 108 69.23%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

350 posts, read 607,212 times

Advertisements

The thing that looks worrisome about Hawaii to me (trying to plan out a honeymoon) is that a lot of the beaches are rocky or have rip currents off of them so I don't really know where to go if I want (a) lots of sandy beaches like Florida, (b) a place that is safe to swim. Do agree Hawaii looks beautiful though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Coconut palms in Florida, even in the Keys, are NEVER as tall as they are in Hawaii, nor are they as healthy-looking.South Florida nights in wintertime get into the 40s and 50s for like two weeks every winter, and heck, sometimes the daytime temps are that low in South Florida. Hawaii remains in the 80s during the daytime during winter and in the 70s at night. Yes the water temps are not as hot as the Caribbean, but they are still warm. Who doesn't enjoy 75-78 degree water in the wintertime? Puerto Rico waters are only slightly warmer. Besides, the water just feels cleaner in Hawaii, due to the circulating Pacific.
Circulating that Great Pacific Garbage Patch for the next 100 million years.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,462,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Notice how so many California residents brag up the beaches of Hawaii. I guess you would cause your beaches absolutely suck. I'd take Long Island beaches any day over CA. Wanna guess what our ocean temp is right now vs what the ocean is off LA? I'll give you a clue. Our ocean temp right now I don't think Santa Monica has ever reached. You have to fly to Hawaii to have a decent day at the beach. We have the entire east coast that blows away CA and that lousy, cold current running down your shoreline. What a bummer. Plus, your summer weather is god awful. Every day is cloudy till the afternoon. Yuk! So keep pushing Hawaii, that paradise you all love thousands of miles away. We have that in summer right on our doorstep.
^least relevant post to thread topic ever, you left out which color is better...blue or green?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,462,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
The thing that looks worrisome about Hawaii to me (trying to plan out a honeymoon) is that a lot of the beaches are rocky or have rip currents off of them so I don't really know where to go if I want (a) lots of sandy beaches like Florida, (b) a place that is safe to swim. Do agree Hawaii looks beautiful though.
absolutely no shortage of sandy beaches and more beautiful water and backdrops in Hawaii. Generally the south shore beaches are pretty calm in the winter even when those North Shore beaches get rockin' & rollin' (which is a sight not to be missed anyways), but even that is not a constant up there.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,647,975 times
Quote:
Notice how so many California residents brag up the beaches of Hawaii. I guess you would cause your beaches absolutely suck. I'd take Long Island beaches any day over CA. Wanna guess what our ocean temp is right now vs what the ocean is off LA? I'll give you a clue. Our ocean temp right now I don't think Santa Monica has ever reached. You have to fly to Hawaii to have a decent day at the beach. We have the entire east coast that blows away CA and that lousy, cold current running down your shoreline. What a bummer. Plus, your summer weather is god awful. Every day is cloudy till the afternoon. Yuk! So keep pushing Hawaii, that paradise you all love thousands of miles away. We have that in summer right on our doorstep.
Umm.....summer weather is great in California. We have nice warm days in the 80s just fine, 70s on the coast. We don't want 115 degree weather with 95 % humidity, gnats and mosquitoes. Nobody goes outside those days. I have lived in DC, so trust me, I know. There is a reason the west coast is known for having the best weather in the country. SoCal water gets up to 72 degrees every summer and has even gotten up to 78 degrees down in San Diego during 2009. As for cold water, have you forgotten east coast winters? The water here remains about 60 during wintertime, while your waters reaech as low as the 30s. Plus, June Gloom is in early June, which is springtime, so, nuff said. Oh, and as for cloudy every day? The east coast has thunderstorms in summer with dark gray clouds. While I enjoy those, it can ruin a nice beach day, so yeah, I think our beaches are nicer, what with pristine golden sand, glittering with mica, and blue water with something we call waves, which you Atlantic folk wouldn't know, and we also have beautiful salt marshes and scrub-covered cliffs overlooking the beaches, not to mention very tall mountains in the background. All you have is trashy buildings.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Circulating that Great Pacific Garbage Patch for the next 100 million years.
Yes, but faraway garbage in the Pacific is better than oil and crud in the Gulf of Mexico washing up on the beach.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Florida: Panhandle, Key West, Fort Lauderdale

Hawaii: first beach IDK, Lanikai, Hanauma

Now, both have beautiful beaches. Florida's warmer summer water is nice, but Hawaii's warmer winter water is also nice. I'd have to say Hawaii wins because of natural beauty.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. Of course Hawaii looks beautiful an am sure it is. I hope to get there one day and check it out for myself. But tbh I've heard some really negative feedback from people going to Hawaii and finding out they were treated as foreigners by native locals. They also got a bad vibe from the native locals about being white and from the mainland. Seems to me Hawaii has got some major issues about being part of the US.

With that in mind Florida isn't a bad option though for us in the NE of the US. Within a two hour flight from here in the middle of January we can be in S. Florida and have a beach with 74F water and coco palm trees. People in Seattle, SF or even LA can't claim that. That is why people on the east coast flock to FL in winter. It isn't a bad option afterall.

And btw, the US Virgin Islands are less than 4 hours away from us and offer stunning beaches with very varied topography right on the coast and water much warmer and probably more clear than Hawaii in any month of the year. Puerto Rico offers a much warmer climate than Hawaii as well.
Actually, Puerto Rico has the same weather as Honolulu, with slightly higher record lows (52F in Honolulu vs 60F in San Juan). Besides, who needs 95F and humid all year (since you're talking about warmer climates) when you can have 85F and pleasantly humid with some trade winds?

Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
You are correct about the Palms but not the water. To many of Hawaii beaches are dangerous for swimming due to big waves. The drop off from shallow to deep is rapid. We had know cold days this past winter. I'd say the weather in South Florida is almost on par with Hawaii most the year, with the exception of maybe 5 cool days in the mid 50s and of course more humidity. I will just say I've been to the beach on many febuary days.
Actually, most Hawaiian beaches don't have rough water. North Shore in Oahu and some other islands, but most places the water has calmer and lulling waves. You clearly have never been to Hawaii.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebthe View Post
Florida has it together. They know how to manage the flow of tourist. Hawaii is a novice by comparison. Example try to rent a chair and umbrella in Hawaii. It is a chore now in Florida they are all lined up waiting for th sunbathers to arrive. Now in Hawaii you have to go find them then make sure they are picked up by 5 even though the sun does not go down till much later.
Had to laugh at all the sun bathers laying on towels in the sand ( myself included) staying in expensive first rate accommodations. If you would like a drink with alcohol in it to sit on the beach Not happening in Hawaii.
In Florida they will walk it out to your beach chair. It is over understanding that people are on vacation to enjoy themselves in Florida. THEN of course if you have never stepped your foot in the warmth of the gulf you will not under stand... But California, Hawaii, Cabo, etc. NO has the warm gulf stream feeding the warm of the beaches.
Hands down Florida for beaches .
Umm...Mexico's Pacific coast (minus the Tijuana area) and Hawaii both have warm tropical waters, while the Gulf of Mexico around Florida is rather chilly in the wintertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or