U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best beaches??
Florida 48 30.77%
Hawaii 108 69.23%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,962,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's interesting for me to look at these pictures and see how much more clothing people wear on the beach nowadays compared to the 60s and 70s. Almost everyone is all dressed up. It used to be that most women wore bikinis unless they were old or very fat, and poor women would sometimes just strip down to their underwear (they thought no one could tell the difference, but we guys could, especially when they got wet),while men wore short trunks and didn't wear shirts unless they were starting to get sunburned.

There was some serious skin to be seen then, and it didn't matter if some of it was ugly, it was just more relaxed and free. Nobody swam with all their clothes on.
More people are afraid of the sun. I remember when all you'd see is spf 15 now I think it gets up to a 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Yeah, Hawaii has better beaches overall. But Florida's no slouch. Why do people find it hard that these 2 states would be compared? What other state is more worthy than Florida to go up against Hawaii in a "best beaches" competition? Maybe CA?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,632,341 times
Hawaii. It has surf, clearer water, better beach weather and warmer in the winter. Bt FL is very beautiful as well, just like the Caribbean there. I really like FL but Hawaii takes the cake.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 AM

113 posts, read 483,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
When it comes to the living at the beach and the “beach lifestyle”…what a lot of people forget is that more goes into this than just surf and sand (though those two things are an integral part of the beach of course);

Although sitting on a warm tropical beach alone, in the middle of nowhere, with few people close nearby might be what some people are looking for…travel and real estate agents (my spouse is a RE and my father is travel agent) show that most people (especially Europeans who tend to be more social) greatly prefer more active, exciting places with a lot of options for entertainment, restaurants, sports activities, biking, jogging…etc when they seek the coastal lifestyle or are on vacation.

As a three time world champion beach bum (lol), who has been in beach/towns cities from the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, Gulf, and Pacific coasts in the USA….I can tell you that southern Florida and southern California (from Hermosa south to San Diego) blows away anything Hawaii, the Caribbean, or Mediterranean Europe has to offer (and Australia from what I’ve been told by people who have seen it and SOCAL/SFL. The sheer number of options, entertainment, food/ restaurants, water sports, beach (size of the beach!), the laid back vibe...etc Florida and southern California blow Hawaii out of the water. Also, in terms of world class dinning, entertainment, high finance, fashion, ect Miami Beach is the center of it all (in terms of world beach cities). Hawaii is not even close. The only world coastal/beach city that compares with Miami is Rio.

Two of the largest and best spots I’ve seen are below (Hawaii has nothing even close to this from what I saw when I was there):

South Beach, Miami - riding on the boardwalk along South Beach - YouTube

The Strand at Hermosa Beach California - YouTube HD - YouTube

What?? Have you been to Waikiki? As someone who lives a few minutes from the Strand in Hermosa, it's definitely a lot more laid back and on a much smaller scale than Waikiki on Oahu! Hawaii has it all, urban and exciting beach atmospheres, with dining, shopping and nightlife plus the super low key, laid back ones too!

Oh, and who said Hawaii beaches were bad for swimming?? It's not always 25 ft waves and at every beach LOL!

Waikiki Beach

Kalaukaua Ave a block in from Waikiki Beach

Shopping - from Gucci and Ferragamo to little swap meets and and tacky touristy things...

And TONS of dining from casual up to things like Nobu, Morimoto, La Mer (AAA Five Diamond) etc...

And then on the flip side, 30 minutes away from Waikiki there's this too...
http://www.citypictures.org/data/media/225/Lanikai_Beach_Oahu_Hawaii.jpg (broken link)

And this

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808n310 View Post
What?? Have you been to Waikiki? As someone who lives a few minutes from the Strand in Hermosa, it's definitely a lot more laid back and on a much smaller scale than Waikiki on Oahu! Hawaii has it all, urban and exciting beach atmospheres, with dining, shopping and nightlife plus the super low key, laid back ones too!

Oh, and who said Hawaii beaches were bad for swimming?? It's not always 25 ft waves and at every beach LOL!

Waikiki Beach

Kalaukaua Ave a block in from Waikiki Beach

Shopping - from Gucci and Ferragamo to little swap meets and and tacky touristy things...

And TONS of dining from casual up to things like Nobu, Morimoto, La Mer (AAA Five Diamond) etc...

And then on the flip side, 30 minutes away from Waikiki there's this too...

And this
Very nice pics.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM

Clearwarter Beach

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
Anyone who votes for fla has never been to hi.

Even if the beaches sucked in hi, the weather would make up for it. 100% chance of "perfect" ,365 days a year.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,017,592 times
Let's just put it this way: L.A. is geographically about half way between Hawaii and Florida.

If we were going to go to a beach vacation, it is not a contest which way we'd go: west-bound towards Hawaii. (any of the islands would be good, but especially Kauai and Maui).

Having said that, I really enjoyed Clearwater Beach in FL. Great sand and warm water.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Anyone who votes for fla has never been to hi.

Even if the beaches sucked in hi, the weather would make up for it. 100% chance of "perfect" ,365 days a year.
That is not a fact. It is your opinion.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 AM

113 posts, read 483,437 times
Also, not to beat a dead horse, but since others have brought up atmosphere, I have to say that one of the best things about being at the beach in Hawaii is that there are usually beautiful mountains everywhere. One of my fave things to do when I go back to Hawaii is to get in the water, turn back towards the shore and just stare at the mountains and clouds...it's almost a religious experience...the pic below absolutely does not do justice to the scale of the mountains right there...but see how tiny the people are and re-scale it in your mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or