Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Honolulu 40 54.79%
San Diego 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,414 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Hawaii, but if I was given the option to visit, I will take Hawaii in a heartbeat. But to live there, nah, I heard is not that good to live there (as an outsider, locals are not to happy) plus is so far away from the mainland.. So I will live in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,837 times
Well, both are big Navy towns. Having visited both, and enjoying both cities relatively equally, I voted for San Diego for one key reason: It's not on an Island 2,000 miles away from the nearest continent. In California, if you want to take a weekend vacation away from the coast, it's easy. In Hawaii, you have to hop on a plane and fly five and a half hours to California (or wherever).

Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
You also can fly from Hawaii to a number of south Pacific islands, Australia and many places in Asia much faster. Since I'm done with Europe, being father east is of no interest to me.

Love the San Diego zoo.

Why are people answering if they've not been to both cities?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
SD is nice, contiguous, close to everywhere, nice beaches, pretty and laid back with surfers, and has little pollution. It has good schools, but is conservative, not diverse and jobless, not to mention COLDER!
Hawaii is warm, diverse, democratic, better beaches with warm water, great scenery, closer to Australasia and South American, with good surf and pretty much no smog. It may be far and have worse schools and lots of poverty, but it is PARADISE people! San Diego is the next best thing with good weather, but not as nice as Hawaii.

Honolulu wins, but San Diego is e next best thing! In northern SD, u even see a lot of Pacific Islanders and it seems like a mini, slightly colder Hawaii. They even have L and L Barbecue of Hawaii. So SD is very nice and a good vacation for Hawaiian residents, but Hawaii takes the cake by far.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Hawaii also can be more expensive, even if SD is pricey, so keep that in mind. Sorry I forgot to mwntion earlier.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,945,938 times
Honolulu is awesome, but honestly, I'd feel incredibly isolated if I lived there. I'd rather take a very VERY minor downgrade with San Diego. I mean, I could oh I don't know, drive to another state? lol

Old 04-08-2012, 03:43 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmMovingSoon View Post
Where would you rather live? And, if your answer would change, which city do you like more in general?
Although Hawaii seems like paradise, I've heard too many depressing stories about island fever and out-of-this-world prices for basic things like food and water and clothing. So definitely San Diego. I'm moving there in the future anyway.

I have to say though, if I were sick of the rat race of the U.S. and got fed up enough, I would definitely move to Hawaii.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Honolulu is awesome, but honestly, I'd feel incredibly isolated if I lived there. I'd rather take a very VERY minor downgrade with San Diego. I mean, I could oh I don't know, drive to another state? lol
I've been to Honolulu many times and that's how I feel. I like it a lot to visit, but I couldn't live there. Plus culturally it's very different than what I'm used to.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM

14 posts, read 22,599 times
I live in Hawaii the Big Island is what they call it here, i have to say that i would totally pick San Diego, why, because i have been here in big island a little over a year and theres hardly any job here, and not to mention that it rains so much i have to say almost everyday it would. And to top off theres not a lot of places to go over here. I feel like im trapped i am definantly feeling what everyone call Island Fever. Theres a lot of things that i truly miss since i moved from mainland , i miss my family and i miss driving up and down california, i surely do miss mainland food and shopping mall, in hilo theres only one mall and walmart , target and ross, and thats about it, and i have to say the food is not all that great and IT COST so much over here 1 bedroom a decent one would cost 1200, and the vogs is just horrible for ppl who has allergies.. cost of living is so high , everything is so expensive. So for those of you who is thinking of moving to hawaii,,, THINK 10x bfr you do, and i dont recommend honolulu .. because its still and island and you will feel just as trap just like in big island ,,, but thank GOD were not here permanantly we are moving back to california by jan 2013 and i cannot wait TO GET THE hell out of this island !

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
San Diego because I prefer cooler weather and access to more variety. Plus I don't mind cloudy and cool weather in the winter, hell I actually like having a winter. And I'm not a huge fan of living in places where I feel like I'm on vacation all the time, I tend to get lazy when it's warm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City