U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM

857 posts, read 1,346,492 times

Advertisements

FYI - Peter's On-Line, free, music, and personality tests:

PJR Web Studies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM

3,556 posts, read 8,861,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
In my experience, open to experience acquaintances from Seattle, Chicago, NYC, and California HATE most of Arizona and New Mexico. Boulder? No problems there, Colorado is #9 nationwide for Open to Expeience, whereas AZ, NM deep into the double digits.

However, seriously, you folks in NM and AZ really need to look inwards to figure out why you are so unfriendly to those of us with the west coast. Why do you not like the fact that we have a sarcastic sense of humor? Why can you not understand that we have a work ethic based on providing customer service first and foremost, rather than following arbitrary rules ahead of helping people in a retail environment (the Consciencious personality type; NM is #1, AZ #9). You drive a lot of West Coasters and New Yorkers out of your states. That's not nice.

In Seattle, we welcome everyone, so any consciousness, serious, humorless person from New Mexico/Arizona is accepted and hired. They're just known as the person who doesn't help customers, but they are great hard working employees who get things done.

*****Richard Florida Ph.D. discussed geography and personality on Coast to Coast AMGeorge Noory (premeire radio networks). Google his name for several web sites.

Florida discussed the research of British researcher *****Peter Jason Rentfrow. You can take the Personality Test at his web site!
PJR Main
Thank God... the fewer coasters the better.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,794 times
maybe people speed in Santa Fe, because it seems if u aspire to the more-money crowd, you are going to be more competitive, with more computers, more black berries, and less chilling, less smoking pot, etc etc. If Sante Fe is really like that... if its really this self-proclaimed art/eco town, but people are speeding in suv's, gawd i'm running from that place. thats exactly the place i absolutely loathe with my entire heart

Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM

934 posts, read 1,792,770 times
Tom Lane sez "you folks in NM and AZ really need to look inwards to figure out why you are so unfriendly to those of us with the west coast."

I sez we don't need to do anything!

I'm wondering if he's pulling our leg. As an obviously intelligent person he certainly could not paint all of New Mexico with such sweeping generalizations. Our state is huge and the disparity among its various community profiles is notable. I doubt anyone would believe the towns of Hobbs and Santa Fe have similar psychological profiles. Also, there is a lot of in-migration of folks from the east and west coasts to communities all over NM. Is Tom suggesting that something happens to these individuals when they cross the state line and that they immediately take a dislike to the friends they just left behind?
I was born in NY and have lived on both coasts (NY, CT, WA, OR) and I love NM and its people. And I'm kind to New Yorkers and Californians - until or unless they try to make NM more like their home state! And like most of us here, we know "coasters" who made the move to Santa Fe and now would not think of living anyplace else

C'mon Tom, cut us some slack.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Tom Lane sez "you folks in NM and AZ really need to look inwards to figure out why you are so unfriendly to those of us with the west coast."

I sez we don't need to do anything!

I'm wondering if he's pulling our leg. As an obviously intelligent person he certainly could not paint all of New Mexico with such sweeping generalizations. Our state is huge and the disparity among its various community profiles is notable. I doubt anyone would believe the towns of Hobbs and Santa Fe have similar psychological profiles. Also, there is a lot of in-migration of folks from the east and west coasts to communities all over NM. Is Tom suggesting that something happens to these individuals when they cross the state line and that they immediately take a dislike to the friends they just left behind?
I was born in NY and have lived on both coasts (NY, CT, WA, OR) and I love NM and its people. And I'm kind to New Yorkers and Californians - until or unless they try to make NM more like their home state! And like most of us here, we know "coasters" who made the move to Santa Fe and now would not think of living anyplace else

C'mon Tom, cut us some slack.
My only point is that Northern New Mexico isn't for everyone. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are old and run down and are very cliquish. Not everyone is willing to do what it takes to fit in. Santa Fe is way, way too formal compared to Flagstaff (as one example). When I lived in Albuquerque I took a poll over Craigs List and got 18 emails back from people from the coasts and most were unsatisfied and/or unhappy, many were moving back. Flagstaff, AZ is better, but still has similar issues to NM. I prefer Las Vegas, NM to Albuquerque.

NM is #1 on Peter Wentfrow's test for the Consciencious Personality Type. I think in northern NM, that's due to the increased oxidative stress at high elevations, resulting in oxidized neurotransmitters and deficient CNS norepinephrine levels, combined with the horrible weather in northern new mexico, with howling NE, E, SE winds out of the canyons whenever a dry cold front invades from the Great Plains. We do not have 65mph canyon winds in Flagstaff from dry cold fronts and no need for coyote fences. No dust storms in April either. The weather here in Grand Canyon country is essentially what Las Vegas, NV gets except when it rains there, it snows here.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillUNDERSTANDitALL View Post
maybe people speed in Santa Fe, because it seems if u aspire to the more-money crowd, you are going to be more competitive, with more computers, more black berries, and less chilling, less smoking pot, etc etc. If Sante Fe is really like that... if its really this self-proclaimed art/eco town, but people are speeding in suv's, gawd i'm running from that place. thats exactly the place i absolutely loathe with my entire heart
Great post. I think you could be correct. People in Santa Fe and all of northern New Mexico do seem elitist and always after more money and huge homes. They seem to look down on people new to town who don't share their wealth. Or, they hire you, and then fire you.

How about Boulder?
That's a place I'm thinking about if Flagstaff doesn't work. Do you think it's that way there, too?

I think it's just best to just leave them all alone in Santa Fe / Placitas / Taos with all their artistic and ecological gluttony, although somone once told me that near Carlsbad, NM it's more friendly.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM

3,012 posts, read 8,765,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post

NM is #1 on Peter Wentfrow's test for the Consciencious Personality Type. I think in northern NM, that's due to the increased oxidative stress at high elevations, resulting in oxidized neurotransmitters and deficient CNS norepinephrine levels...
Holy cow! Now THAT never occured to me to wonder about!!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 11,600 times
Default Santa Fe or Flagstaff?

I moved to Santa Fe about 20 years ago and love it! I'm from the east (Ohio) originally and have no plans on moving from here. there is something very special about SF, spiritual wise, cultural, art, history lots of book stores, tons of art galleries. people come here to visit and end up moving here. If you have never been here before you should visit first for at least one week or two - in the spring or early summer. speaking of seasons, we have 4 real seasons, it is very dry here so hardly any humidity (no mosquitos or fleas - if you have pets!), we are 7,000 ft high - lots of outdoor activities, hiking, skiing - we have everything but water. not alot of lakes, few streams/rivers. though i am a water person, i just love being here. what i really appreciate is when i visit back east and come home and i just love the openess of NM, you can see for miles and the scenery is beautiful! plus its a good time to buy real estate - even though SF has not been hit as hard as other cities. Cost of living i would guess be more here than in Scottsdale...though i've never lived there when we were deciding where to live - Scottsdale or SF about 20 years ago, we visited both but decided hands down on SF. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM

106 posts, read 388,904 times
[quote=Tom Lane;6416567]Great post. I think you could be correct. People in Santa Fe and all of northern New Mexico do seem elitist and always after more money and huge homes. They seem to look down on people new to town who don't share their wealth. Or, they hire you, and then fire you.

How about Boulder?
That's a place I'm thinking about if Flagstaff doesn't work. Do you think it's that way there, too?
__________________________________________________ ____________
Hey Tom,

While I was touring Colorado a couple of other cool towns I passed through were:

Salida, Manitou Springs (up the hill West from Colorado Springs), and Glenwood Springs.

Lastly, everyone seems to like Fort Collins.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,621,026 times
You couldn't get me to live in Flag for anything, hands down Sante Fe wins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City