Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times

Advertisements

Have you been to both places to visit? What were your own feelings about both towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM

146 posts, read 453,074 times
MD,

I should not even be throwing my 2 cents in, as I have never lived in either area. However, I have had the opportunity to spend some time in both towns. While I enjoyed both places, Santa Fe seemed to match my natural vibrational level much better. I just felt a bit more comfortable in Santa Fe and I cannot explain all the reasons why. I guess one could say it felt a bit more like "home" to me.

My goal was to move to Santa Fe in 2008, but due to many personal set backs, I am shooting for 2009. I was also considering Fort Collins, CO (my sister lives in FC), but Santa Fe is the place for me.

They alway say go with your gut feeling (something I have ignored wayyyyy to much!!!!). So, this time that is what I will do!

Matt

Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
Other states? Not sure what you re implying here. I am looking for some one who has lived in Flagstaff and SF. I posted this thread in both NM and AZ. Are you out there?

Well, although I hate to admit it... the perspective of a tourist may be helpful in a situation like this. If you post in a non-native forum you are likely to learn things about a place that locals would not dare devulge.

I know you're never going to get me to admit that my home-state has problems, it's beautiful in every way to me.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
just my opinion from 1-living for many years in NM and visiting Flagstaff plus have friends there: it depends on your personality and what you really are looking for. Sante Fe is more artsie and liberal, although both lean left. Flagstaff is influenced by the university to some degree. Of course Sante Fe is larger and close to Albuquerque, but very touristy.

Crime wise, both will have their share, but I think Sante Fe may have more, again, this is hard to judge..It partly depends on what type of crime you are talking about. Neither is like a major metropolitan area.. Real crime is what you see in Phoenix and Albuquerque.

The weather would be similar, with Flagstaff getting a little more snow. If you like winter sports Sante Fe is close to great skiiing. Flagstaff area offers some winter sports but not what you would get in Sante Fe.

If it were me, I would lean toward Flagstaff, but if a busy life is what you are looking for, Sante Fe might be better.

Nita

Old 11-25-2008, 08:30 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Rybert - I agree with you to a point....

However ... there are likely to be very different answers from people who have visited here as tourists ... and not particularly helpful to someone who is contemplating moving here.

I see Santa Fe as almost two seperate entities -- the tourist section of town: Plaza, Railyard, the pricey art galleries, the ski basin, etc.

And the Santa Fe I live in ... which has really not much to do with tourism -- I get to know the residents of the city, I go to doctors and do my grocery shopping here. I go to the restaurants that are not high end and much expensive.

So ... the comments one would get from tourists vs. residents would be very different, I would think.

I think Miami_Dan is wondering what it is like to live here, not just visit.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM

146 posts, read 453,074 times
Towanda,

How did you know / realize Santa Fe was the place for you?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
I've not lived in Flag, but have spent time there for business meetings. I like that area - its natural beauty and the fact that it's a college town (NAU is a big party school). The winter weather seemed tougher there than here, but maybe it was just the times I was there.
Having lived in both Arizona and New Mexico, I prefer the latter. I consider AZ - especially the Phoenix - Tucson corridor to be Californicated. NM has a rougher, more "real" feel to it. Also, in southern AZ there is the second largest Indian reservation in the US (the Tohono O'Odham), but you'd never know it. Too, the Hispanic population tends to live in separate communities within AZ cities. There appears to be little integration of the cultures in AZ, unlike what I've experienced and admired about NM.
In short, Santa Fe is different than virtually any other place I've lived. I don't know if I can put my finger on the exact reason/s why, but it just has a different feel/spirit. Having lived in at least a dozen different states, there's no place I'd rather hang my hat than right here....

Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Santa Fe is one of the best cities in the world...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Santa Fe is one of the best cities in the world...
not necessarily to live in; of course that is my opinion...It is great for the super libs, and those who are really artsie, but for the average Joe Blow it may not be their cup of tea. What is "best" for one, may be a "worst" for someone else..

Nita

Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
lived in Flagstaff, have been thru Santa Fe multiple times. Santa Fe hands down.
The "vibe" as you put it in Flagstaff isn't always pleasant. It's like they cannot decide whether they are college, old hippy, new agers or rednecks hiding from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City