U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best American River City
Pittsburgh 41 25.79%
Cincinnati 11 6.92%
Philadelphia 26 16.35%
Twin Cities 13 8.18%
St. Louis 25 15.72%
Kansas City 8 5.03%
Memphis 11 6.92%
New Orleans 21 13.21%
Detroit 3 1.89%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM

333 posts, read 673,823 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh. Objectively, Memphis might win, but I don't really like Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,823,705 times
WHen I think of quentessential "river cities", I immediately think of St. Louis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Of those 3, I think St. Louis is the truest "River City" in the country.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Do you think Chicago could be a good river city? It has a river that runs right through it and it is quite nice I think. Otherwise I think San Antonio's river city would probably be amongst the best because it uses its river very effectively.
Efficiently? Does it carry barge traffic? Does it supply hydroelectric power?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
I don't consider N.O an inland river port as I described Memphis. It's on the river alright, but because of the clear channel to the Gulf and the ships which can access the port directly like you mentioned it is effectively a seaport which allows a break bulk function to barges going up river and vise versa. You can call it a pure river port if you'd like, but the point was that Memphis' strategic location in the center of the country facilitates multiple criss-crossing modes of transportation of all kinds, so that you're not just breaking down sea cargo to barges and some rail and truck, but you're bringing bulk resources and fuel by barge, breaking it down to factories and points way out from this port, and shipping the finished products back out by every way possible around the world, now even worldwide overnight shipping by virtue of Memphis' status as largest volume air freight handler. Major manufacturers have located in Memphis primarily because of what they called the "Parts Bank" concept. They ship in or make critical components of anything imaginable and store them in billions of total square feet of storage in Memphis, not in a lot of warehouses scattered everywhere, and ship it all out on demand overnight through the FedEx Superhub. A surgeon in South Africa while operating on a patient found he needed a vital prosthetic part, so the component was ordered from Memphis, FedExed, and implanted before the patient got off the table. (That's an example of why Smith Nephew Richards, Medtronics, Wright Medical, etc. located here long ago so they could send out critical body parts and have them arrive fast anywhere.)
Sorry about all the hot air, but I had to explain that by Memphis' unique "strategic location", I wasn't reffering to controlling the Mississippi, but rather dominating the movement of goods and freight over a much bigger area.
While I won't argue that Memphis is an important distribution hub, air freight makes up by far the smallest portion of freight tonnage in the country. MUCH more by sea, rail and truck. When I think of the country's major distribution centers, I think of Chicago or Dallas first.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM

469 posts, read 803,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
While I won't argue that Memphis is an important distribution hub, air freight makes up by far the smallest portion of freight tonnage in the country. MUCH more by sea, rail and truck. When I think of the country's major distribution centers, I think of Chicago or Dallas first.
Yes maybe the smallest volume freight tonnage, but frequently the most important and time sensitive. Memphis is also the second largest motor freight hub and heavy in rail shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City