U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: best American River City
Pittsburgh 41 25.79%
Cincinnati 11 6.92%
Philadelphia 26 16.35%
Twin Cities 13 8.18%
St. Louis 25 15.72%
Kansas City 8 5.03%
Memphis 11 6.92%
New Orleans 21 13.21%
Detroit 3 1.89%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,409 posts, read 2,178,382 times
Reputation: 1273

Advertisements

Old thread, but right on point with something I was wondering about, so I'll revive it instead of creating a new one.

For me, New Orleans is the ultimate river city because so much of the city's culture revolves around the Mississipppi. It was tough to not vote for Pittsburg (most picturesque skyline of the river cities) or Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
 
Location: The City
21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
NYC. But on the list I will go with Pittsburgh.

NYC is the answer

NYC from Hoboken, NJ - July 19, 2009 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdalton/3735495149/ - broken link)

NYC from Hoboken 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61842144@N00/166814297/ - broken link)

Brooklyn Bridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lopezzito/2081629208/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,040,736 times
Reputation: 9193
I know this poll is old, but we do actually have some rivers(and cities on those rivers)west of the Mississippi... Along with cities east of the Applachians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: The City
21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I know this poll is old, but we do actually have some rivers(and cities on those river)west and east of Mississippi Basin...

I would guess most cities in the US have a river; more pronounced East of the MS river though. But top of mind I would say that Pittsburg, Cinci, St Louis, NOLA and a few other MS flowing cities probably pop to mind.

Philly sits on two rivers that flow into the Delaware Bay but I dont usually think of it as a rviver city in the same way as the others for some reason. NYC too, I mean Manhattan is an island between two rivers literally but mostly is not thought of as a river city.

I posted the pics in jest a bit because NYC is completely water/island based sans BX (at least on the island part but still water based on 2 sides (East River and Long Island Sound)) but even so to me it is not thought of as others but is glaringly river based
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,793 posts, read 10,642,188 times
Reputation: 3751
As a rower I love both Philadelphia and Boston.

Pittsburgh is probably the ultimate river city. Beautiful Skyline, easy access to the water front and the rivers are used for both recreational and commercial purposes.

Charleston, West Virginia is almost a miniature version of Pittsburgh. Lots of commercial and recreational river activity. Easy access to the water front.

NYC is also on the top of the list (although the waterways surrounding the city are not really rivers in truest sense of the word. There are also a lot of Hudson River communities that make excellent use of the River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: The City
21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
As a rower I love both Philadelphia and Boston.

Pittsburgh is probably the ultimate river city. Beautiful Skyline, easy access to the water front and the rivers are used for both recreational and commercial purposes.

Charleston, West Virginia is almost a miniature version of Pittsburgh. Lots of commercial and recreational river activity. Easy access to the water front.

NYC is also on the top of the list (although the waterways surrounding the city are not really rivers in truest sense of the word. There are also a lot of Hudson River communities that make excellent use of the River.

ah the Dad Vail - must say Boat House Row is pretty cool; probably the best collection of crew houses in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,793 posts, read 10,642,188 times
Reputation: 3751
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ah the Dad Vail - must say Boat House Row is pretty cool; probably the best collection of crew houses in the US
I've got my Dad Vail Gold! Love the Philly rowing scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: The City
21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've got my Dad Vail Gold! Love the Philly rowing scene.

Congrats! Some images of the rowing scene

Regatta Race - Dad Vail 2009 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/briantography/3518979793/ - broken link)

PhillyBoatHouseRow0002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nardella/4895873753/ - broken link)

Philadelphia Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionsanddreams/1477254010/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,793 posts, read 10,642,188 times
Reputation: 3751
Been rowing there since High school and onto college and club racing. I love the quirkiness of the Philly course with the dog leg turn at 500m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,040,736 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would guess most cities in the US have a river; more pronounced East of the MS river though. But top of mind I would say that Pittsburg, Cinci, St Louis, NOLA and a few other MS flowing cities probably pop to mind.

Philly sits on two rivers that flow into the Delaware Bay but I dont usually think of it as a rviver city in the same way as the others for some reason. NYC too, I mean Manhattan is an island between two rivers literally but mostly is not thought of as a river city.

I posted the pics in jest a bit because NYC is completely water/island based sans BX (at least on the island part but still water based on 2 sides (East River and Long Island Sound)) but even so to me it is not thought of as others but is glaringly river based
I think of Sacramento and Portland as being river cities, as much as Pittsburgh, in that they are defined in large part by their location at the confluence of two rivers. The Columbia, Sacramento, and Willamette are all pretty sizable in terms of volume and length.

I think New York of as a river city, but although sometimes to visitors the focal point seems to be more of a harbor city--which is why it's probably not the first place to come to mind--just like Boston as well. I'm not sure if DC jumps to mind either for most people, but the Potomac is a large part of how the city is situated.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-09-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top