U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place fits our requests?
Greenwich/Darien, Connecticut 39 53.42%
Atlanta, Georgia 22 30.14%
Sacremento, California 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,206,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT or ATL 2 View Post
Sacremento... how far is it from the Bay area and beaches? And it looks like it can get stifling hot in the summer, but I dont know this to be 100% true.
SOOO HOT in the summer. 100s

But I dont think CT or Atlanta are better. In fact, theyre probably less comfortable cause of that horrid humidity. I just cant stand that stuff.

Coming from DC your probably already accustomed I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM

15,765 posts, read 22,041,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT or ATL 2 View Post
Hello, it is me. I had trouble logging in so I re signed up. I know it says multiple accounts are not allowed but I couldn't remember my password.

WOW. So many responses, I just cannot respond to them all.

First, we are not looking for just a wealthy town. We do not want or expect a mansion for $1,5m. Greenwich seems like it may be too affluent for us, but Fairfield seems nice. I don't like that we can barely get home for our hard-earned money in Greenwich, but that must be indicative of the area so we will still consider it. We are not looking for the best "bang for your buck" since I understand most of those places lack certain things (good schools, restaurants and such). I really enjoy the idea that we have the opportunity to live so close to New York City.

Second, we prefer an area that is not being hit hard by this recession. I have heard that CT is not too affected by this (can that assumption be accurate?) and seems like ATL and Sacremento have higher rates of foreclosed homes. Not that it matters too much to us, but we desire a strong area economically.

Sacremento... how far is it from the Bay area and beaches? And it looks like it can get stifling hot in the summer, but I dont know this to be 100% true.

It seems as if nobody is an ATL fan. I read a lot on the board about traffic down there and a plethora of religious folks (we are secular). Aside from the traffic, would the religion aspect intrude into our daily lives?

Here is one final question and feel free to ignore it! Aside from religion and worldliness, how are the PEOPLE in each area? People mention rednecks in Sacremento. We'd like to stay away from that.

Thanks a bunch all of you!
Don't be fooled. Just because CT wasn't hit as hard as most states doesn't mean there aren't problems. The unemployment rate continues to rise as people get laid off. The state is home to many insurance companies, hedge funds, etc that are all feeling the pinch. Granted that pinch in CT might just leave a bruise in the economy whereas in other parts of the country, it's going to leave a scar. CT was definitely not hit as hard as Sacramento and Atlanta, mainly because we didn't have the massive explosion of growth that other areas experienced, largely because people here will protect their towns with everything they've got. Also most towns have a minimum zoning for acreage to keep the leafy green feel of the state, so that cuts down on available land. They call CT the "land of steady habits" for a reason. I guess we lucked out, so far. Who knows what will happen in the coming months/year?

The good thing about buying a home in sw CT is that your investment is pretty solid. Unless something unfathomable happens, NYC will always be right there for job opportunities, culture and personal enjoyment. Also Boston and Philly are very close to sw CT.

Now for the people - again I can't speak for CA and GA but I can speak for most of CT. The people here are reserved, independent and some can be snobby. Materialism in CT is not as bad as even middle class towns in other areas of the nation, even in CT's wealthiest towns. CT is not all yacht/country club types, but there is a portion of the population who frequent these places, as with CA I'm sure. CT folks are probably the most similar to the English (in speech and mannerisms) than any other state.

You should really spend some time in each place and report back.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM

15,765 posts, read 22,041,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
SOOO HOT in the summer. 100s

But I dont think CT or Atlanta are better. In fact, theyre probably less comfortable cause of that horrid humidity. I just cant stand that stuff.

Coming from DC your probably already accustomed I suppose.
Yes, the humidity in CT can be very bad some days. This past summer we had a heat wave where, even well into the overnight hours, it was 95 degrees and you could taste and wear the air. Normally the humidity is just mildly sticky, and we probably get an equal amount of humid days vs dry days. Makes the 95 degree dry heat sound appealing lol

Just looking at some maps, Atlanta seems the worst for uncomfortable weather.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,134,485 times
I agree that the heat/humidity can be stifling in CT in the summer, but they are moving from DC, so it will be less hot/humid than it is there. They will only have to deal with colder temps than they are used to if they move up to CT. I imagine that there will be more snow than you are used to, but I don't know that SW CT typically gets hit hard with snow. I grew up in Southern Litchfield County (just north of Fairfield County), and we definitely used to get more snow than Fairfield County. The weather patterns have changed quite a bit since I moved though, so those still living there can hopefully chime in with more info.

Of the three I would recommend SW CT based on your criteria. You can definitely get more for your money in the surrounding towns with schools that are just as good (as Greenwich).

Religion was never really in your face when I lived in CT. The same is true here in CO and it really is appreciated. Regardless of your religious views, no one wants it shoved in their face. From my experience, the people in CT aren't the friendliest in the country (not saying they're the rudest either), just somewhere in the middle. However, the friendships that I made in CT are by far the deepest and most meaningful friendships that I've ever had. Everyone will have a different experience in each place though.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

21,018 posts, read 33,000,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
And also honestly when I think Buckhead. I think urban and I don't think house with a big lot. I think lots of expensive nightclubs, shopping and upscale high rises. I don't think house, dog and kids.

Huge house on a lot of land to me equals Alpharetta or Duluth. Not arguing just stating my take on things.
That description fits a very small part of the Buckhead area...most of the community is indeed large leafy lots, dogs and kids.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,917,766 times
Greenwich.

You'd be NUTS not to go with Greenwich given this opportunity.

If you moved to metro Atlanta, I would move STRICTLY to Decatur. You will get a lot more bang for the buck in Decatur (and ATL metro in general), and Decatur is one of America's most educated communities due to the presence of the CDC and Emory University; I would naturally assume they have very good public schools, also. The rest of Atlanta, forget it; it won't be nearly as safe, worldly/cosmopolitan and educated as you would like it to be, and there are even signs of gang activity as far out as the wealthy outer-ring suburban communities in Gwinett and Hall Counties.

I don't know anything about Sacramento, except that it's California's state capital and 1.5 hours from San Francisco (when traffic is good.)

Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,830,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Greenwich.

You'd be NUTS not to go with Greenwich given this opportunity.

If you moved to metro Atlanta, I would move STRICTLY to Decatur. You will get a lot more bang for the buck in Decatur (and ATL metro in general), and Decatur is one of America's most educated communities due to the presence of the CDC and Emory University; I would naturally assume they have very good public schools, also. The rest of Atlanta, forget it; it won't be nearly as safe, worldly/cosmopolitan and educated as you would like it to be, and there are even signs of gang activity as far out as the wealthy outer-ring suburban communities in Gwinett and Hall Counties.

I don't know anything about Sacramento, except that it's California's state capital and 1.5 hours from San Francisco (when traffic is good.)
Yes, the rest of Atlanta is a wasteland and there is no need to bother with it.

Good God...do you see why Atlanta people don't bother to challenge this kind of ignorance? It's like most people on this site have a perception of Atlanta that comes right out of the media - not from personal experience. Most of Atlanta and the suburbs are wonderful places to live...but someone who doesn't live here wouldn't know that.

I would suggest that you don't take much of the information you get from a site like this too seriously.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 12-09-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 AM

21,018 posts, read 33,000,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

Good God...do you see why Atlanta people don't bother to challeng this kind of ignorance? It's like most people on this site have a perception of Atlanta that comes right out of the media - not from personal experience. Most of Atlanta and the suburbs are wonderful places to live...but someone who doesn't live here wouldn't know that.

I would suggest that you don't take much of the information you get from a site like this too seriously.
Right on, Deacon.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,917,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

Good God...do you see why Atlanta people don't bother to challenge this kind of ignorance? It's like most people on this site have a perception of Atlanta that comes right out of the media - not from personal experience. Most of Atlanta and the suburbs are wonderful places to live...but someone who doesn't live here wouldn't know that.

I've been to Atlanta AND metropolitan Atlanta. Fulton, Cobb, Gwinett, Hall, and Clayton Counties, in fact.

I didn't say that Atlanta isn't worldly/cosmopolitan; I said the metro area won't be up to the OP's (perceived) standards, that's all. The presence of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and, more importantly, the migration of international students who tend to stay does give the metro area more international flair overall. However, the OP is most likely to find a denser concentration of better traveled, more cultured people in and immediately around Decatur, Georgia.

Atlanta (sans the west and SW sides of the city) is a clean and beautiful place. The west and SW sides of the city, plus College Park, are crime-ridden dumps. But even at that much of that "stunna," "ghetto gangzta" attitude is gradually moving outward, as indicated by these types committing robberies in suburban mall parking lots while driving nice SUVs, or increasing gang activity all the way out in Gwinett and Hall.

And schools? Atlanta Public Schools? Abysmal. Clayton County Public Schools have lost their accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and this suburban county has already had more than 50 murders this year. As for towns, how about Tucker, GA? That place screams "the South's gawna rise again, yeehaw!"

I'm sure Marietta, Gainesville, Kennesaw, and Conyers are wonderful, low-crime places to live, also; I myself wouldn't mind living in Marietta b/c of it's beautiful downtown area, or Kennesaw b/c of its university. But I wouldn't go to those places expecting world-class public schools (Georgia's not renowned for theirs, anyway) and blocks-long enclaves of Chinatowns, Vietnamesetowns, Kazakhstanitowns, etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,961,557 times
Greenwich, Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City